Chris Sale nearing extension with Boston

ChiSox59

With the Goldy news (anyone hear he agreed to an extension yesterday?), that means Abreu is the best option, unless you want to consider Castellanos a 1B, and position he hasn't played an inning of in his career.  Bet Sox either extend Jose, or resign him next offseason.

Abreu + Castellanos + Grandal + Cole would be a very nice offseason.

Lineup by June 2020:

Madrigal 2B, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Castellanos DH, Grandal C, Adolfo RF, Robert CF, Anderson SS

Cole, Rodon, Cease, Kopech, Lopez

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The money will be spent. 

The problem is , as time goes on, the money will be spent on crapier and craper players.

If this is showing anything, it's the extent of the White Sox failure this past offseason. Colossal and epic.

On the plus side, my navy Ja Morant jersey is on the way from a Chinese factory.

The list of difference~making free agents is plummeting off a cliff,  down to about 10~12 realistic options, and that's without Bogaerts or Rendon potentially signing extensions. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

With the Goldy news (anyone hear he agreed to an extension yesterday?), that means Abreu is the best option, unless you want to consider Castellanos a 1B, and position he hasn't played an inning of in his career.  Bet Sox either extend Jose, or resign him next offseason.

Lineup by June 2020:

Madrigal 2B, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Castellanos DH, Grandal C, Adolfo RF, Robert CF, Anderson SS

Abreu loves the White Sox. No need to extend him until later. They will get a pretty good deal if they want him back. 

• Haha 1

Lineup by June 2020:

Signing all 4 of those guys is delusional and will never happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Signing all 4 of those guys is delusional and will never happen. 

I am just spitballing dude.  Someone said there is no where to spend the money.  There are obviously still guys to spend money on.  

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Me too.  That game was a disaster.  They didn't even show up to play.  Ugh.

Yah man, heart crushing end to the season.  Just lost their swagger a few weeks ago and couldn't get it back.  Pretty sure we hear about Markus getting wrist surgery in the next few days...he just wasn't right, but that certainly wasn't why we lost yesterday.  Oh well, I have baseball to look forward to for the next couple weeks until I quickly realize we're looking at another 90+ loss season.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Yah man, heart crushing end to the season.  Just lost their swagger a few weeks ago and couldn't get it back.  Pretty sure we hear about getting wrist surgery in the next few days...he just wasn't right, but that certainly wasn't why we lost yesterday.  Oh well, I have baseball to look forward to for the next couple weeks until I quickly realize we're looking at another 90+ loss season.  

Yeah, when Howard fell at Nova, I didn't know it then, but that was the death knell for the season.  As you said, not all on him, he is the only one that played decently yesterday.  No one really showed up.  They were the only thing distracting me from looking that 90 loss season right in the eyes.  

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The money will be spent. 

The problem is , as time goes on, the money will be spent on crapier and craper players.

If this is showing anything, it's the extent of the White Sox failure this past offseason. Colossal and epic.

As I said in the Goldschmidt thread (and will continue to say every time a quality player signs an extension), I’d rather have an impact player for the next 8 seasons than an extra $35M/year of payroll flexibility in 2027 & 2028.  But alas, our front office is more concerned with ridiculous long-term concerns than actually trying to fix a dying franchise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lineup by June 2020:

The problem is we couldn’t outbid the Padres for Machado and other teams for lesser free agents (per Rick on the Red Line radio podcast).  How do we expect to outbid the legit big spenders for a guy like Cole?  Add in the Boras factor and I’m simply not optimistic about our chances.  Also, there is some talk that the Astros are trying to work out extensions with Cole & Verlander, although that sounds unlikely.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lineup by June 2020:

The good news with Abreu is that the market for 1b/dh players keeps getting pushed lower and lower.  I don't think we need to extend him anymore, as he will be signed a lot more cheaply than we would have thought even a couple of years back.

28 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Gonna suck to see Sale donning a Red Sox hat on his hall of fame plaque at this rate.

Yup. I'm crushed. I hate the Red Sox, and seeing him go in to the Hall of Fame with the Red Sox and have his White Sox years completely forgotten make me sick. At least if he went to another team and didn't win another WS, he would have still likely gone in to the HoF as a White Sox player. I'm so disappointed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The good news with Abreu is that the market for 1b/dh players keeps getting pushed lower and lower.  I don't think we need to extend him anymore, as he will be signed a lot more cheaply than we would have thought even a couple of years back.

True.  Can't imagine Castellanos would be THAT expensive either.  He's a pretty terrible OF so basically can be put into 1B/Dh category.  4/$60M seems reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

True.  Can't imagine Castellanos would be THAT expensive either.  He's a pretty terrible OF so basically can be put into 1B/Dh category.  4/$60M seems reasonable. 

Still only has something like 9 career fWAR.  Would seem to profile just decent offensively at 1B.  More of a complementary player imo.  Nice piece to have, if you have another 3-4 of him, you could do worse.  Just not sure he’s worth $60 million in this market.

M.Ozuna and Puig have the gaudier career numbers for RF.  The Cards can’t keep Ozuna, Wacha and Carpenter as well.