White Sox Sign Alcides Escobar

KnightsOnMintSt

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is gross. Almost makes me think the Sox are going to try to sneak Rondon through waivers and expect to lose him.

Rondon kind of has to make the roster at this point though.  Why put him through waivers for Escobar?  They need a backup infielder and Leury can't be the only guy. Unless Mendick magically makes the roster.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rondon kind of has to make the roster at this point though.  Why put him through waivers for Escobar?  They need a backup infielder and Leury can't be the only guy. Unless Mendick magically makes the roster.  

I expect them to carry 13 pitchers + Eloy. You have to figure Jay and Engel are locks unless a phantom injury appears. So that leaves 2 bench spots for Palka, Garcia, and Rondon. I guess Palka could end up in Charlotte, but would the Sox really do that? 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I expect them to carry 13 pitchers + Eloy. You have to figure Jay and Engel are locks unless a phantom injury appears. So that leaves 2 bench spots for Palka, Garcia, and Rondon. I guess Palka could end up in Charlotte, but would the Sox really do that? 

I think they start with 12 pitchers with all the off days and inevitable rainouts early in the season. Abreu, Sanchez, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Engel, Palka. Jay, Rondon, Leury and McCann. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think they start with 12 pitchers with all the off days and inevitable rainouts early in the season. Abreu, Sanchez, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Engel, Palka. Jay, Rondon, Leury and McCann. 

I hope your right, but even so - we’ll be having this discussion again once that 5th starter is needed and someone needs to go. I really want to see Rondon get a chance. I liked what I saw last season.

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Could it be a prelude to moving one of our utility infielders, Leury most likely?  He would provide insurance as none of the others profile at short defensively for any significant time.

Rondon is a natural SS that was regarded as great defender as a prospect.  

Leury has also been hitting the ball super well in ST, so unless the Sox are trading him, I doubt they just let him go.

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I hope your right, but even so - we’ll be having this discussion again once that 5th starter is needed and someone needs to go. I really want to see Rondon get a chance. I liked what I saw last season.

Just send Engel down at that point and go with Leury/Jay combo in CF.  Far from ideal when you have Eloy & Palka in the corners, but it’s a lost season anyways and Rondon deserves a role on this team.