White Sox Sign Alcides Escobar

KnightsOnMintSt

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just because you've heard of him doesn't make it a good backup plan. 

The term "good" and "Alcides Escobar" really don't go together. He's 32, provides no upside and posted a -0.7 WAR last season. If this organization wasn't in shambles, you would hope there would be a player in AAA that could at least be called up to the big league club and not hurt the team like Escobar did last year. 

Thank you. Alcides Escobar is almost indescribably bad. He was never that good to begin with, but he has aged horribly. 

7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Of course he isn't good. Good players don't sign minor league deals without an invite to big league camp.

However, there is some value to have a veteran as an emergency option. More so for a contending team, but whatever.

Not when the veteran literally has negative value. The Ryan Goins and Danny Mendick types are better options IMO 

We discussed the roster, in another thread. If they go with just 12 pitchers, the 13 position player are:

Moncada, Jay, Abreu, Alonso, Palka, Anderson, Sanchez, Castillo, McCann, Engel, Jimenez, Garcia and ???

The thirteenth spot would go to Rondon, or Guyer. My choice would be Rondon. 

In any case, Escobar is not going to be on the 25 man roster. 

Edited by Lillian

22 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

A supposedley top 5 farm system should have no room for players like Alcides Escobar. 

The Sox have very few IF in the upper minors.  Mendick is really it.  I doubt Laz Rivera starts in AAA. 

36 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

A supposedley top 5 farm system should have no room for players like Alcides Escobar. 

Braves have Ryan LaMarre on their AAA team.  He's so bad, he couldn't even stay in the horrible Sox organization.  I am throwing them out of the top 5 of farm systems too.

Edited by Nardiwashere

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Braves have Ryan LaMarre on their AAA team.  He's so bad, he couldn't even stay in the horrible Sox organization.  I am throwing them out of the top 5 of farm systems too.

Jason Coats is an outfielder for the Durham Bulls.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And Mendick didn't exactly light up Birmingham.

I'm pretty pleased with his AA year. He kept up a good OBP and in a park that is terrible for him he nearly slugged .400. If you think of Mendick as similar to Saladino, he's on a very similar trajectory. 11 of Mendicks 14 home runs was as an away player last year.