Dallas Keuchel time is now.

EloyJenkins

With Sale, Archer, Verlander and Cole soon to be locked up...the Sox should be checking in on the latest asking price for Dallas. Yes...it will be a slight overpay for his diminishing skills...but the options next year will not be good and the only alternative will include trading top ten minor talent as the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs will be desperate for arms next year. 4/64 sounds about right and he will slot in as a mainstay with Kopech, lopez and Cease for '20-22 seasons (with maybe 5th year club option). This season can be a revolving door of our #5 type starters and you can see if Giolito has what it takes and give Dunning the time he is going to need without rushing.

I didn't want him in an overpay...but I think the slim pool of FA impact will be gone completely soon and he offers a chance at getting decent production for the cost. Thoughts?

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

With Sale, Archer, Verlander and Cole soon to be locked up...the Sox should be checking in on the latest asking price for Dallas. Yes...it will be a slight overpay for his diminishing skills...but the options next year will not be good and the only alternative will include trading top ten minor talent as the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs will be desperate for arms next year. 4/64 sounds about right and he will slot in as a mainstay with Kopech, lopez and Cease for '20-22 seasons (with maybe 5th year club option). This season can be a revolving door of our #5 type starters and you can see if Giolito has what it takes and give Dunning the time he is going to need without rushing.

I didn't want him in an overpay...but I think the slim pool of FA impact will be gone completely soon and he offers a chance at getting decent production for the cost. Thoughts?

Verlander just got 66 million for a 2 yr extension. keuchel isn't getting 16 million a year. 

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

IF no one else is willing to give him more than 2 year deals...yet it is. 

Boras will get him his money eventually. Especially will alot potential free agents signing extensions won't be too many left on the market 

Edited by aeichhor

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Can we stop with this meme?  He costs a pick and wants 4 years.  It makes no sense.

I know that is the problem though...who makes sense? Everyone is already extending. Sox need at least 1-2 really professional pitchers when their competitive window opens in either 20 or 21...but almost no FA options are going to be around....so prices will be SKY HIGH. Bumgarner, Wheeler or Porcello will be your top options now with all moves this week. 

• Haha 1

I think this is going to be a big year in determining what we actually have in the farm system.  If we can turn some of these kids into legitimate prospects we could start dealing.  Next years FA class looks pretty shit I agree.  Hopefully we can flip some of these kids for a TOR arm.

11 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I know that is the problem though...who makes sense? Everyone is already extending. Sox need at least 1-2 really professional pitchers when their competitive window opens in either 20 or 21...but almost no FA options are going to be around....so prices will be SKY HIGH. Bumgarner, Wheeler or Porcello will be your top options now with all moves this week. 

Barring some unforeseen miracle the Sox aren’t competing in ‘19 or ‘20...so you want to give up a pick and pay Kuechle to be the 3rd/4th starter for a potential playoff run in 2021? 

Yeah no thanks. With Keuchel’s current tragectory he may not even be a 3rd starter by then. Teams with a window to win a WS in the next year or 2 should be looking at Keuchel...we aren’t in that category 

Signing Dallas Kuechel would be a terrible move for the Sox. He’s already 30+ and wants a 4+ year deal. I know that he had the highest groundball rate (53.7) and the lowest flyball rate (24.4), two things that would play great in GRF but giving pitcher at his age, the kind of deal he’s looking for wouldn’t make a lot of sense. Also the Sox would have to lose their second rounder IIRC if they sign him. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

11 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I think this is going to be a big year in determining what we actually have in the farm system.  If we can turn some of these kids into legitimate prospects we could start dealing.  Next years FA class looks pretty shit I agree.  Hopefully we can flip some of these kids for a TOR arm.

I think if we are looking for players to take steps forward, correct. Not a terrible amount are going to be ready. I think Eloy is up opening day, after that maybe a RP out of need. I think Madrigal might be up at some point, I say that because of the move of Moncada to 3B for him. After that, maybe Cease at the end of the season like Kopech. Maybe...... Collins gets a look, I think he has an MLB bat, not sure on that defense, nor a position since we have enough DH/1B on this team.  IF Robert makes it a full season without getting hurt, I think he could be up in 2020.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The draft pick alone is enough for me to pass.

I used to think so too, until it occurred to me that this organization really doesn't have a great track record with the draft/identifying talent. I don't know that I'd be in favor of going after Keuchel, just saying if there was an intriguing FA out there, a pick that will likely wind up being a bust doesn't mean as much to me. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

56 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I used to think so too, until it occurred to me that this organization really doesn't have a great track record with the draft/identifying talent. I don't know that I'd be in favor of going after Keuchel, just saying if there was an intriguing FA out there, a pick that will likely wind up being a bust doesn't mean as much to me. 

A draft pick is worth more to me than a declining asset that will be gone before we are good again.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A draft pick is worth more to me than a declining asset that will be gone before we are good again.

So you’re thinking what, a 2 year deal for him and both of those remain rebuilding years, for the statement that he’ll be gone before we are good again to be true?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

RIght, I agree that going after Keuchel isn't the thing to do. For the right FA, though, I'm not shedding any tears over the loss of a pick that would otherwise be in the hands of Hahn and friends. 

3 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

RIght, I agree that going after Keuchel isn't the thing to do. For the right FA, though, I'm not shedding any tears over the loss of a pick that would otherwise be in the hands of Hahn and friends. 

For Machado or Harper, sure. For Keuchel? Pass.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For Machado or Harper, sure. For Keuchel? Pass.

Obviously those two are top-shelf (don't think Machado would have cost a pick, which makes that sting even more), but I'd even be ok with something lower-tier. Prior to his extension, if Goldschmidt came at the cost of a pick next year, I'd be fine with that. This past offseason, Corbin, Grandal, Pollack come to mind.