Dallas Keuchel time is now.

EloyJenkins

6 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Obviously those two are top-shelf (don't think Machado would have cost a pick, which makes that sting even more), but I'd even be ok with something lower-tier. Prior to his extension, if Goldschmidt came at the cost of a pick next year, I'd be fine with that. This past offseason, Corbin, Grandal, Pollack come to mind. 

I think in my head I am good with guys you are projecting for plus production out of for 4 or more years before I am willing to give up a high pick.

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think in my head I am good with guys you are projecting for plus production out of for 4 or more years before I am willing to give up a high pick.

If you could get Keuchel for 4/$40, how would you feel about that?

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If the Sox aren't willing to spend actual money in free agency then they can't give up top 50 selections for marginal upgrades. It doesn't really make sense at this point. 

100% agree.  We should not be forgoing a high 2nd round to pick to add an older free agent pitcher a year before they’re actually needed.  12 months from now could be a different story.

Also, while the pitching market has no doubt taken a big hit with Sale & Verlander agreeing to extensions, there are still some interesting arms that should be available next offseason.  Cole is definitely a pipedream at this point, but any of Bumgarner, Porcello, Wacha, Wheeler, & Wood could prove to be useful additions.  Obviously I’d prefer a more impactful arm than those guys, but at the end of the day there aren’t a ton of consistent, high-end pitchers in the game right now.  Adding a guy who can hopefully be a 3+ win pitcher may be good enough for what we need with Cease & Kopech entering the fold.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

2019 is a total rebuilding season anyways, why bother signing Keuchel to a 2-3 year deal right now? 

I agree. But there’s always a price where it makes sense, if for nothing other than as a flip candidate. But his price obviously hasn’t gotten there. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

• 2 weeks later...

MLBTR posted a poll asking when he (and Kimbrel) would sign. If he is out there past the draft (no longer have to give up compensation for him), would anyone here be ok with the Sox signing him? Personally, I think he's a better fit in the NL long-term, but if we're talking 4 years max, I might ok with it.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

MLBTR posted a poll asking when he (and Kimbrel) when sign. If he is out there past the draft (no longer have to give up compensation for him), would anyone here be ok with the Sox signing him? Personally, I think he's a better fit in the NL long-term, but if we're talking 4 years max, I might ok with it.

Couldn't hurt, prefer something shorter...doubt JR, Hahn, or KW consider it though

7 minutes ago, zisk said:

Can you get around that by offering him a minor league contract with a 12 million bonus for making the major league team?

While hysterical, the Astros would probably file a grievance immediately.

I think what needs to be done is remove the stupid competitive balance picks and just simply sandwich in compensation picks there.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is draft pick compensation really the culprit here?  At least with Kuechel, I wouldn’t be surprised if him & Boras simply priced themselves out of this market.

Kimbrel as well, the reports were that he was looking for like 6/120 at the outset of the offseason.  I bet that scared teams away, they went other avenues for their money and Kimbrel ended up hung out to dry.

As for the draft pick compensation, even for Keuchel, when was the last 2nd round pick that made an impact for the Sox?

Edit, looked it up.  Bob Wickman was the last one, and Terry Forster was the other.  Those are the only two.  Ever.  In the history of the White Sox drafting.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, Jake said:

If you want to compare a Sox signing of Keuchel to the Cubs pre-WS signings, would Keuchel be Edwin Jackson or Jon Lester?

Somewhere in the middle . Better track record than Jackson, not as good as Lester without the Lester upside since stuff is so different.