Verlander getting an extension..

soxfan49

Where was that poster who kept arguing with me that missing out on Machado and Harper was no big deal because there would be so many good free agents to sign next offseason?  😂

The good options are dropping like flies.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Where was that poster who kept arguing with me that missing out on Machado and Harper was no big deal because there would be so many good free agents to sign next offseason?  😂

The good options are dropping like flies.

Almost as if none are available now

Missing Manny was such an EPIC fail.

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I don't get the complaints on Verlander. We're there any Sox fans genuinely interested in signing him as a free agent at 37 years old next year?

It’s not just about Verlander.  The current theme is that teams are extending their top players before they hit free agency — Arenado, Trout, Goldschmidt, Sale, Verlander, etc.

Boegarts and Rendon are now the best guys available next offseason if they don’t get extended and they don’t really fit the Sox now with Moncada at 3B, Anderson at SS, and Madrigal expected to take over 2B eventually.

This is why when you have targeted a premier player, you lock the guy up and don’t half-ass around with a team friendly offer like the Sox tried to do.  The Sox will not have another shot at a 26 year old stud for $300 to $330 million.  They blew it... period.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

It’s not just about Verlander.  The current theme is that teams are extending their top players before they hit free agency — Arenado, Trout, Goldschmidt, Sale, Verlander, etc.

Boegarts and Rendon are now the best guys available next offseason if they don’t get extended and they don’t really fit the Sox now with Moncada at 3B, Anderson at SS, and Madrigal expected to take over 2B eventually.

This is why when you have targeted a premier player, you lock the guy up and don’t half-ass around with a team friendly offer like the Sox tried to do.  The Sox will not have another shot at a 26 year old stud for $300 to $330 million.  They blew it... period.

My comment was about Verlander, not the other players. Machado didn't sign with the Sox, get over it.

9 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

My comment was about Verlander, not the other players. Machado didn't sign with the Sox, get over it.

When the Sox are winning 78-84 games every year from 2021-2024 because no one is signing here because 1) the organization is a joke or 2) every good player got an extension, you'll remember how big of a loser Rick Hahn is for not guaranteeing another 50 million dollars to a 26 year old hall of famer.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

When the Sox are winning 78-84 games every year from 2021-2024 because no one is signing here because 1) the organization is a joke or 2) every good player got an extension, you'll remember how big of a loser Rick Hahn is for not guaranteeing another 50 million dollars to a 26 year old hall of famer.

Don't blame Hahn. He can only work with what Uncle Jerry allows him to work with. We know where the blame lies. This is 100% on Uncle Jerry. 

The Sox are screwed until there is new ownership, whenever or however that happens. Until then, we should all realize the Sox are going to operate like the Pirates and hope for the best. We have zero control over it, so make the best of a shitty situation. I just wish that because the Sox were going to operate like a small market team they'd do it like the A's and Rays do. Nope, instead we get Pirates. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't blame Hahn. He can only work with what Uncle Jerry allows him to work with. We know where the blame lies. This is 100% on Uncle Jerry. 

The Sox are screwed until there is new ownership, whenever or however that happens. Until then, we should all realize the Sox are going to operate like the Pirates and hope for the best. We have zero control over it, so make the best of a shitty situation. 

No, I'm going to blame Hahn. Reinsdorf is a joke and we all know it, but if you think Hahn and KW are capable, you're an even bigger idiot than they are.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No, I'm going to blame Hahn. Reinsdorf is a joke and we all know it, but if you think Hahn and KW are capable, you're an even bigger idiot than they are.

Hahn's record has been mediocre, but again I think he's being hamstrung by ownership. Kenny is a different story. Keep that guy the fuck away from baseball decisions. I get why he has a job. KW has a job because he's Uncle Jerry's adopted son. So keep him involved in business only, and stay the fuck out of baseball decisions. 

Do I think Hahn has been good? Not really. But it is hard to blame him for everything with the constraints ownership puts on him. I honestly think he'd do better with a competent ownership group, and I have no idea why he hasn't resigned yet. He'd get another job in an instant if he quit. Out of the 3 headed monster in the front office, Hahn is the least to blame. Out of the 3 the guy who I think isn't a complete buffoon is Hahn. I don't think his scouts are the best, and I blame JR for that. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the braintrust of the Sox meet together. If Hahn is actually in agreement with the other two idiots, then he's just as much of a clown as they are. I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the clowns that are his bosses. 

The only thing that makes me question Hahn's judgment is that he hasn't quit yet. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hahn's record has been mediocre, but again I think he's being hamstrung by ownership. Kenny is a different story. Keep that guy the fuck away from baseball decisions. I get why he has a job. KW has a job because he's Uncle Jerry's adopted son. So keep him involved in business only, and stay the fuck out of baseball decisions. 

Do I think Hahn has been good? Not really. But it is hard to blame him for everything with the constraints ownership puts on him. 

Agreed, to some extent.  If Kenny was still in charge, we would probably have wasted our last draft pick on Kyler Murray.  Obviously, you can’t field a baseball team without drafting athletes who can play football.  I’m glad some of the decision making has changed but Hahn is still just the lesser of two evils.  He should have checked in with Uncle Jerry prior to promising the fans that he would spend money on top free agents.

Edited by Harper2Sox

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Agreed, to some extent.  If Kenny was still in charge, we would probably have wasted our last draft pick on Kyler Murray.  Obviously, you can’t field a baseball team without drafting athletes who can play football.  I’m glad some of the decision making has changed but Hahn is still just the lesser of two evils.  He should have checked in with Uncle Jerry prior to promising the fans that he would spend money on top free agents.

Yeah, and I doubt he's ever going to do that again. If Hahn quit tomorrow, I believe his replacement would be a massive downgrade because JR gonna JR and KW gonna KW. 

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox are screwed until there is new ownership, whenever or however that happens. Until then, we should all realize the Sox are going to operate like the Pirates and hope for the best. We have zero control over it, so make the best of a shitty situation. I just wish that because the Sox were going to operate like a small market team they'd do it like the A's and Rays do. Nope, instead we get Pirates. 

We can actually blame Jerry and Hahn. Rick isn't a very good salesman and has been terrible with his free agent signings. I've given Hahn the benefit of the doubt but his results aren't good thus far. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We can actually blame Jerry and Hahn. Rick isn't a very good salesman and has been terrible with his free agent signings. I've given Hahn the benefit of the doubt but his results aren't good thus far. 

This is true.  While one could argue his trades have been good, minus the worst of all for Shields, his free agent signings have been pretty awful.  He likes to dumpster dive just like Kenny.

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, and I doubt he's ever going to do that again. If Hahn quit tomorrow, I believe his replacement would be a massive downgrade because JR gonna JR and KW gonna KW. 

Why are we blaming KW for all of Hahn’s misdoings?  Last I checked, KW has two playoff teams, a World Series trophy, nine .500+ seasons, and only one finish below 3rd place over his 12 year tenure as GM.  He may be a total douche, but he actually showed creativity and a good eye for talent for an extended period of time, with his crafting of the 2005 & 2006 rosters being examples of that.

Meanwhile, wonderboy Rick Hahn has never put together a roster that finished above 4th place and has a career .431 winning percentage across six seasons.  Yes, I’m aware there are two rebuilding seasons in there, but the results were beyond terrible before that.  Honestly, outside of several extensions and a handful of moves, Rick’s tenure is filled with black marks and blunders.

Realistically, KW & Hahn are a team and both guys should be blamed for what will end up being a decade with zero playoff appearances, but there is no evidence whatsoever that suggests Hahn as the GM has been held back by KW or that KW returning to the role would somehow be a downgrade.