Luis Robert to Start Season in A+

KnightsOnMintSt

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m worried they’ll start Walker in Low A.

And why not? He hit like shit last year. It probably was due to a nagging oblique injury and he does have potential for more but I would him let get confidence at an easy level first even though he is a college player.

If he tears it up you can move him up after a month

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I could see them having Walker on the same path as Luis Gonzalez. Get him some AB's in Kannapolis, then send him to Winston-Salem mid-season.

Ideally though, they want Walker finishing the year in BIrmingham with Adolfo, Basabe and Gonzalez in Charlotte 

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I could see them having Walker on the same path as Luis Gonzalez. Get him some AB's in Kannapolis, then send him to Winston-Salem mid-season.

Without working out the depth charts to see who will slot where, this makes the most sense. 

Just now, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

And why not? He hit like shit last year. It probably was due to a nagging oblique injury and he does have potential for more but I would him let get confidence at an easy level first even though he is a college player.

The problem is he turns 23 in July.  I just don’t agree with assigning polished colllege bats to Low A to start their first full seasons.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is he turns 23 in July.  I just don’t agree with assigning polished colllege bats to Low A to start their first full seasons.

Even if they hit .210 in their debut?

He isn't super young but more important than his ETA is now good he will be when he comes up. 

2 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Even if they hit .210 in their debut?

He isn't super young but more important than his ETA is now good he will be when he comes up. 

I place very little value on a draft pick’s performance during their signing season, especially one who we know was dealing with a injury.  IMO, you give him the benefit of the doubt and let him start in High A.  We’re not talking about a raw / toosly type prospect here, where I get the argument for being cautious.  With Walker, a guy with a polished hit tool, if he really needs time in Low A then I question how ability to make it as a prospect.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I place very little value on a draft pick’s performance during their signing season, especially one who we know was dealing with a injury.  IMO, you give him the benefit of the doubt and let him start in High A.  We’re not talking about a raw / toosly type prospect here, where I get the argument for being cautious.  With Walker, a guy with a polished hit tool, if he really needs time in Low A then I question how ability to make it as a prospect.

So basically sink or swim for him?

5 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I would usually agree, but I guess it all depends on how he looks in minor league camp. Haven’t heard much. 

That’s completely fair, but if he looks like the same guy they drafted last summer, I wouldn’t let a SSS at Kannapolis last year impact my placement if him this year.

Just now, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

So basically sink or swim for him?

No, if he struggles horribly at High A then I’d consider demoting him at some point.  I just don’t think we should be overreacting to a SSS and give him a conservative assignment.  He’s a guy who is more likely to be traded then ever play a game in our major league OF, which is another reason to keep him advancing at an age appropriate curve.  We all see how the scouting community is still skeptical on Luis Gonzalez despite some sick numbers last year.  Unless we have a reason to beleive he needs time at Kannapolis (like he looks terrible), let him start at High A where most polished college bats start off their first full seasons.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s completely fair, but if he looks like the same guy they drafted last summer, I wouldn’t let a SSS at Kannapolis last year impact my placement if him this year.

Yeah definitely agree there. I don’t really put much stock in numbers guys put up in their draft year. 

I do think it’s worth keeping in mind, though, these guys have had a camp we haven’t had much exposure to that influences these decisions.