3/23 Sox - Dodgers

flavum

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My optimism for the rebuild will greatly improve with strong seasons from these two.  Would love to see Yoan to put up a 4 win season (or better) and Eloy come close to a 3 win season.

I think that is actually likely this year. I think that Moncada, Anderson,Lopez and Giolito are all going to take a huge step forward. Despite the results with Giolito, I keep hearing that he's sitting at 95-96 this spring. I haven't completely punted on the guy. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Finally unleashing the Eloy. Can't wait.

I'm hoping that everything that went wrong over the last 18 months goes right in 2019. Reverse Murphy's law. What can go right, will go right. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

After seeing the lineup the Dodgers put out there today, does the pitching performances from from Banuelos and Covey mean anything. I'm not asking to devalue what they did today; I really don't know. I've mentioned before that I'm new to paying attention to spring ball. So, did Banuelos and Covey have good stuff and is it a good sign for both of them as the spring winds down or was that Dodger's lineup so weak and forgiving on mistakes anybody could have looked good against them. 

Also, what's your opinion? Is the 5th starter going to be Banuelos or Santana. My guess it that it will be Santana with Banuelos down in AAA putting pressure on Giolito to show something soon. 

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

After seeing the lineup the Dodgers put out there today, does the pitching performances from from Banuelos and Covey mean anything. I'm not asking to devalue what they did today; I really don't know. I've mentioned before that I'm new to paying attention to spring ball. So, did Banuelos and Covey have good stuff and is it a good sign for both of them as the spring winds down or was that Dodger's lineup so weak and forgiving on mistakes anybody could have looked good against them. 

Also, what's your opinion? Is the 5th starter going to be Banuelos or Santana. My guess it that it will be Santana with Banuelos down in AAA putting pressure on Giolito to show something soon. 

Banuelos is out of options, and considering he had a solid spring, I doubt he would pass through waivers. Santana may not necessarily be ready to break camp next week and there is no need for a 5th starter immediately.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Banuelos is out of options, and considering he had a solid spring, I doubt he would pass through waivers. Santana may not necessarily be ready to break camp next week and there is no need for a 5th starter immediately.

I'm gonna embarrass myself here and admit that I don't know what you mean. Does "out of options" and the "pass through waivers" thing mean that he can't be sent to the minors without being put on waivers and therefore claimed by another team? Is that what you mean? Also, are you therefore also saying that the Sox will keep him on the roster as a long guy or 5th starter and not chance his being taken by someone else on waivers?  Thanks in advance for making this clear to me. 

Just now, vilehoopster said:

I'm gonna embarrass myself here and admit that I don't know what you mean. Does "out of options" and the "pass through waivers" thing mean that he can't be sent to the minors without being put on waivers and therefore claimed by another team? Is that what you mean? Also, are you therefore also saying that the Sox will keep him on the roster as a long guy or 5th starter and not chance his being taken by someone else on waivers?  Thanks in advance for making this clear to me. 

Exactly. I could be wrong on this explanation, but basically in order to send a player who is on the 40-man roster to the minors, you have to use one of their options. There are a limited amount of times you can do this to a player. Then they have to either make the team, or pass through waivers allowing any of the teams a chance to claim them for themselves. I fully believe Banuelos is here to stay unless he gets shelled. They traded for him, so they clearly saw something in him and he has had a solid spring thus far. I don't think he's going to be the 5th starter, but more likely a long relief option that can go multiple innings when needed; maybe a spot-start here or there (i.e. Hector Santiago). I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see Banuelos and Santana both on the Sox within a few weeks of the regular season.

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

All of your assumptions are correct. 

If Banuelos means never having to see Covey in a Sox uniform again sign me up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

While the odds of it are slim, Banuelos could provide some sort of value to the Sox heading forward, as he's still fairly young and has a lot of team control should he figure things out. Santana is a 36 year old who is only here to eat innings and get flipped at the deadline. And it's not like they would get anything of note for him anyway. Banuelos should get much more of an opportunity.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

While the odds of it are slim, Banuelos could provide some sort of value to the Sox heading forward, as he's still fairly young and has a lot of team control should he figure things out. Santana is a 36 year old who is only here to eat innings and get flipped at the deadline. And it's not like they would get anything of note for him anyway. Banuelos should get much more of an opportunity.

I completely agree with you, but we seem to be in a minority opinion. Most people think that the potential deadline return for Santana is more likely to be better than Banuelos becoming a thing, so you go with Santana. I think that Santana isn't ready so they should pitch him in the minors through the 1st week of May and give Banuelos those starts, and if he sucks they call up Santana. If Banuelos is good, then you have a decision to make. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I completely agree with you, but we seem to be in a minority opinion. Most people think that the potential deadline return for Santana is more likely to be better than Banuelos becoming a thing, so you go with Santana. I think that Santana isn't ready so they should pitch him in the minors through the 1st week of May and give Banuelos those starts, and if he sucks they call up Santana. If Banuelos is good, then you have a decision to make. 

Realistically, Santana probably has the same trade value Miguel Gonzalez did at the 2017 deadline. Who knows though, with no waiver deadline, we really have no clue how teams will react come July 31st. 

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox were solely looking for someone to eat innings, then Santana makes more sense since he's a veteran. But they already have Nova to do that job. The potential upside is just so much higher with Banuelos. Not giving him at least a couple starts to audition himself would be silly. Like I said, the odds of him figuring it out aren't all that high but you never know. Nobody thought anything of Jose Quintana when the Sox signed him either. 

19 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Realistically, Santana probably has the same trade value Miguel Gonzalez did at the 2017 deadline. Who knows though, with no waiver deadline, we really have no clue how teams will react come July 31st. 

Yeah, I'd agree. Is finding out whether or not Banuelos is a thing worth another TiQuan Forbes? Probably. 

33 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Santana was an all star in 2017.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the Sox were solely looking for someone to eat innings, then Santana makes more sense since he's a veteran. But they already have Nova to do that job. The potential upside is just so much higher with Banuelos. Not giving him at least a couple starts to audition himself would be silly. Like I said, the odds of him figuring it out aren't all that high but you never know. Nobody thought anything of Jose Quintana when the Sox signed him either. 

Banuelos will get plenty of chances to start this year. Maybe we get shocked and Giolito is sent down and the 4th and 5th starters become Banuelos and Santana .

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I know he was, but how many 36 year old pitchers on 1 year deals command a haul at the deadline? I don't have any expectations with him. 

If he has an allstar year he could change a pennant race. He would bring back a lot more than Miguel Gonzalez.

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Moncada having a game.

Is it just me or does Yoan look way more balanced at the plate than last year?  I swear even when he was hitting well last year it looked like he could fall over after making contact. 

6 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

The rotation obviously has a number of question marks, but man, this team is really going to hit.

We'll probably see a lot of 10-8 games this year.

lol, dude, how old are you?  If you're older than 30, just stop.  spring training is a joke.  the stats don't matter in 95% of the cases.  this sox team is going to be at best mediocre offense with a bad pitching staff.  I'd be shocked if they win 75 games.

30 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Is it just me or does Yoan look way more balanced at the plate than last year?  I swear even when he was hitting well last year it looked like he could fall over after making contact. 

It's spring training.  Anybody still on the mound is either ready the fuck to ship north for the real games and throwing at 70% of game speed or is some marginal roster guy trying to make a team.

If Yoan hits 300 this season well then fuck me.  But nothign in his profile says high average hitter.  His bread will be buttered with patience and power.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

10 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's spring training.  Anybody still on the mound is either ready the fuck to ship north for the real games and throwing at 70% of game speed or is some marginal roster guy trying to make a team.

If Yoan hits 300 this season well then fuck me.  But nothign in his profile says high average hitter.  His bread will be buttered with patience and power.

I don’t disagree with that. With his K rate if he hits over .250 that would be a big step.

It just seems he is loading his weight better and looking more on balance.  At least the few times I watched. Even on his outs his mechanics look a little different. Could just be me. 

Albeit a small sample size Yoan is striking out about the same as his career averages all through the minors. However, his walks were way up as was his average. Again, not sure if it will carry over but 11 walks and 45 ABs is good compared to ST 2 years ago with 3 walks, 39ABs. Historically he has been 1 walk to every 6-8ABs so if that improves you have a much higher OBP which will lead to more runs and he has speed on the basepaths to have his SBs go up to 25-30,