Ian Happ

wrathofhahn

The trick with a team like the Cubs is that you have to have something to offer that makes them better right now if they're going to give up an asset like this. They don't want a recovery piece who requires big league playing time, they want a minor big league piece. Fulmer makes no sense because he's the exact same problem. Giolito has the exact same problem. Neither of these give the Cubs anything of use right now.

So what current assets do the White Sox have? Rodon? That seems like too much to give up. Aside from that...the bullpen might start looking intriguing. Colome for Happ...I dunno, but maybe. 

You know what could really work? Let either Herrera or Jones start off the season healthy and strong, and you have a match. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The trick with a team like the Cubs is that you have to have something to offer that makes them better right now if they're going to give up an asset like this. They don't want a recovery piece who requires big league playing time, they want a minor big league piece. Fulmer makes no sense because he's the exact same problem. Giolito has the exact same problem. Neither of these give the Cubs anything of use right now.

So what current assets do the White Sox have? Rodon? That seems like too much to give up. Aside from that...the bullpen might start looking intriguing. Colome for Happ...I dunno, but maybe. 

You know what could really work? Let either Herrera or Jones start off the season healthy and strong, and you have a match. 

Yep. The Cubs would most likely want one or two guys from the Sox bullpen. I would move Colome for Happ in a second. 

Hopefully Colome, Hererra, and Jones all pitch well in the first half and can be moved for something interesting.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean realistically?  Jace Fry would probably be of interest to the Cubs, but I don’t think I’d actually make that trade.

Jace Fry is the lefty version of Tommy Kahnle. Sox should sell high on him.

Happ is a young positive WAR player. He could turn into a poor mans Ben Zobrist. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Jace Fry is the lefty version of Tommy Kahnle. Sox should sell high on him.

Happ is a young positive WAR player. He could turn into a poor mans Ben Zobrist. 

I don’t agree with the Tommy Kahnle reference at all.  Selling high on him is another story, I’m just not sure Happ is the best return.  His value is way down at the moment and another strong season from Fry makes him a serious trade asset.

33 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Fulmer is a negative WAR player for his career. Theo would hang up and laugh. 

That's probably true. All I know is that Happ would be a nice fit for the Sox if they could swing a deal for him. He would have everyday at-bats at CF in a low pressure situation. He's not perfect by any means but I'd take him over Engel or Leury in a heartbeat.

He would've had the highest BB% on our team last season (and that's including Narvaez) and the second highest overall OBP. I'm not sure if that shows how solid enough he gets on base or how pathetic our overall team is at it. Maybe a bit of both. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox fans fall in love with their shotty cult heroes. Palka is one of those. He's awful yet people here search for ways to get him at bats.

Yeah, let's not turn Palka into Micah Hoffpauir. He was the Cubs version of Palka and their fans loved the guy during their rebuild.