Ian Happ

wrathofhahn

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Get what done?  Theo to bust out laughing?  Sure.

Ok. 

I think Colome might be more realistic. Even straight up I'd do it and I think it would be a move that would help both teams. The Cubs need a reliable closer, and Colome is that. They wouldn't have to worry about overusing Morrow either. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Ok. 

I think Colome might be more realistic. Even straight up I'd do it and I think it would be a move that would help both teams. The Cubs need a reliable closer, and Colome is that. They wouldn't have to worry about overusing Morrow either. 

I don't think Colome gets it done either, but I would do it in about two seconds if they were interested.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think Colome gets it done either, but I would do it in about two seconds if they were interested.

Colome has been a pretty damn good closer. The only reason he didn't close last year is he got traded to Seattle and they had Edwin Diaz. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Colome has been a pretty damn good closer. The only reason he didn't close last year is he got traded to Seattle and they had Edwin Diaz. 

Ian Happ is going to be worth more than a second to third tier closer getting paid fairly close to fair value who is sitting two seasons from free agency.  It is one thing when you are talking about Narvaez, but Ian Happ for five years is a much different story.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ian Happ is going to be worth more than a second to third tier closer getting paid fairly close to fair value who is sitting two seasons from free agency.  It is one thing when you are talking about Narvaez, but Ian Happ for five years is a much different story.

If Colome is a second tier closer he's near the top of that 2nd tier. 

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

The Cubs aren’t trading an asset at a low point. They still value him greatly I’m sure. He’s just getting some time down there as a swift kick in the rear to work on some things like Schwarber did. 

I said the Cubs aren't giving away Happ on the last page, and this is a great way of saying exactly that again.  Our trash isn't going to be enough to get him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree. Colome in 19 and 20 does more for the Cubs to maximize their window than keeping Happ around does. 

I disagree for the clear reason that the Cubs could have had Colome for something more than Omar Narvaez if they really wanted him.  They didn't do it.

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

Colome for Happ is interesting. I think the Cubs say no right now, and the Sox may say no in July. But I'd probably do it right now if the offer was presented to the Sox. 

On the other hand, Happ needs to get better, and I'm not sure I trust the Sox to be the team that can do that..

By July, the White Sox could potentially have 2-3 capable relievers to move in a deal like that depending on the health of Herrera and Jones. They might have to include some money,  but that could strengthen a White Sox offer. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I more meant Happ may struggle in July, and/or Colome may be putting together a good first half, and some playoff teams may be in need of a solid 8/9th inning guy. The Sox may be able to do better than Happ come July. 

Yeah closers and starters tend to be overvalued at the deadline.  Especially with only having one trade deadline this year, it will be really interesting to see what trade values look like this time around.