Ian Happ

wrathofhahn

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, let's not turn Palka into Micah Hoffpauir. He was the Cubs version of Palka and their fans loved the guy during their rebuild. 

Hoffpauir was actually there before the rebuild. I think you're thinking of Bryan LaHair, the place holder for Rizzo.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Hoffpauir was actually there before the rebuild. I think you're thinking of Bryan LaHair, the place holder for Rizzo.

I thought Hoffpauir was there in like 2009-10 and LaHair was Rizzo's placeholder when Theo took over. They already sucked in 2010. 

Speaking of rebuilds, it would have been nice if the Sox started theirs after the 2009 season. It was sorely needed. They had some valuable pieces to trade. Also, if everything would have worked out the same in that year's draft, the first pick of that rebuild would have been Sale :)

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep, LaHair was actually an Allstar for the Cubs in 2012 cuz of a hot first half.  Then he tanked in the second half and was never in the majors again.

Edited by Harper2Sox

21 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Jace Fry is the lefty version of Tommy Kahnle. Sox should sell high on him.

Happ is a young positive WAR player. He could turn into a poor mans Ben Zobrist. 

When Happ first came in the scene I was thinking he would be a Ben Zobrist type but after his first 2 big league seasons he K's way too much where Zobrist can draw walks and doesn't K as much.  So unless he changes things, he won't even be a poor man's Been Zobrist. A bullpen guy is what I would give up, but no young talent.

10 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

I posted this in another thread.  Apparently the Cubs are interested in a CF.  Send the Cubs Jon Jay, the $4 million dollars Hahn wasted on him, and a reliever for Happ.

Jay is not a ML CF. He can catch what he gets to but the problem now is him getting to it. Just too slow now.

11 hours ago, WBWSF said:

If Epstein becomes the White Sox GM, I will not write JR a letter requesting to be interviewed for the White Sox GM job.

The White Sox dont have the budget for Theo to buy the pitching he needs.

Edited by ptatc

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The White Sox dont have the budget for Theo to buy the pitching he needs.

The Sox may need to increase their budget for buying their own pitching regardless of Theo since most of their guys are going down with TJ surgery.

Edited by Harper2Sox

28 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

The Sox may need to increase their budget for buying their own pitching regardless of Theo since most of their guys are going down with TJ surgery.

That just delays them. They'll pitch again.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:40 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Disagree.  Palka had a higher K rate than Moncada and for some reason people around here freakin love him.

Ian Happ doesn't hit the ball 9000 feet should he actually make contact. 

And what exactly would the Sox do with Happ that the Cubs won't do?...stash him in AAA for a while?  I mean I like Happ's potential and all (hopefully the Cubs didn't ruin him)...but really can't see a place for him on the Sox any time soon?

1 minute ago, Wanne said:

And what exactly would the Sox do with Happ that the Cubs won't do?...stash him in AAA for a while?  I mean I like Happ's potential and all (hopefully the Cubs didn't ruin him)...but really can't see a place for him on the Sox any time soon?

Speaking of which Heyward had a 5-6 war his previous two years then the Cubs worked on his launch angle and now he gets 1-2 war.

6 minutes ago, Wanne said:

On a team that isn’t going anywhere this year?  Hell, you could play Happ everyday in RF or 2B.  He plays both positions and we  currently have bench players at those positions.  I would probably choose RF for Happ since Madrigal is destined for 2B and Palka should be at DH with Alonso far away from this team at or before the trade deadline.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

On a team that isn’t going anywhere this year?  Hell, you could play Happ everyday in RF or 2B.  He plays both positions and we have bench players at those positions.

I was going to suggest 2B. Just not sure the Cubs want to move on from him yet. It has been said the Cubs are looking for someone capable of playing CF and a backup C. What are the rules on being able to trade someone like Jay who just signed this off-season? 

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was going to suggest 2B. Just not sure the Cubs want to move on from him yet. It has been said the Cubs are looking for someone capable of playing CF and a backup C. What are the rules on being able to trade someone like Jay who just signed this off-season? 

I don’t believe there is a rule, unless the player has a no trade clause in their contract, and Jon Jay sure as hell ain’t getting that.

Regardless, I doubt the Cubs will cut bait on Happ so soon after drafting him so high.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Would anyone else do a deal around Colome and Happ? Obviously the Cubs would have to add, but I think that's a basis for a deal.  It would be nice to have someone in the OF with the potential to be decent other than Jimenez. Not to mention that adding Happ would finally kill Engel. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I don’t believe there is a rule, unless the player has a no trade clause in their contract, and Jon Jay sure as hell ain’t getting that.

Regardless, I doubt the Cubs will cut bait on Happ so soon after drafting him so high.

There used to be but I skimmed the 2017 CBA and I can't find any such clause.

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Fulmer was picked the same year and barring a miracle, "he gone". How bout Jay,Fulmer,Adams and a reliever for Happ?

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Would anyone else do a deal around Colome and Happ? Obviously the Cubs would have to add, but I think that's a basis for a deal.  It would be nice to have someone in the OF with the potential to be decent other than Jimenez. Not to mention that adding Happ would finally kill Engel. 

Colome for Happ?  Where do I sign up?