3/24 Sox vs Indians, 2pm, NBCSC

flavum

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I actually looked it up and Lindor is probably only going to miss the first 2-3 weeks, but still their bullpen and offense blow. Would not shock me if the Twins are actually the team that runs away with the division. They have a ton of additions this year and Pineda has looked really good coming of TJS. 

Pineda has the chance to be an awesome signing for them. They should definitely be able to compete with the Indians this year. 

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Pineda has the chance to be an awesome signing for them. They should definitely be able to compete with the Indians this year. 

Going from Yankee Stadium to Target Field is really going to help Pineda's numbers. I wanted the Sox to sign Pineda to a 2-year contract last year. 

43 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I don’t know about that. Engel has earned it with the glove 

No, he didn't. Leury has always been a better player and the stats have shown that. Engel's defensive has never been good enough nor has Leurys defensive been bad enough for Engel to be considered a better player.

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

I know its hard to tell from footage but what's the possibility? Patella fracture? Something less bad? ptcac?

Bet they're glad they didn't trade Kluber now.

Either Tibia or Patella fracture. Judging from where it hit, I'd lean tibia. 

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Anderson just keeps getting better. I can't stand that the dude doesn't walk, but he brings value in every other aspect of the game. 

He has actually been significantly worse ever since his debut season. He may walk a tiny bit more now but his debut season so far has been his best. Hopefully that changes this season.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently Yoan won something equivalent to a gold glove at 3B in Cuba.  Hahn said they were surprised at how quickly he has adjusted to 3B.

I got the impression this was something he got prior to going pro there, so he may have only been the best among some amateur Cuban teenagers.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently Yoan won something equivalent to a gold glove at 3B in Cuba.  Hahn said they were surprised at how quickly he has adjusted to 3B.

I'm not in the least bit worried about Yoan defensively. With his quick feet, good hands and good arm, he will be a plus defender at either position. Where he plays only matters with the make up of the team. I think we saw the absolute floor with Moncada and he was still an average to slightly above average major league player. The kid is going to be a star. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not in the least bit worried about Yoan defensively. With his quick feet, good hands and good arm, he will be a plus defender at either position. Where he plays only matters with the make up of the team. I think we saw the absolute floor with Moncada and he was still an average to slightly above average major league player. The kid is going to be a star. 

Agreed. He's too talented to be what he was last year forever. It had a lot of the same signs of Dunn's 2011 where he came out of the gate raking and had trouble getting his timing back after an early season injury. Dunn never hit the same again, but he was much older than Moncada. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Must you bring up the Machado fiasco! 

Sorry, I just can’t help myself in this case, because a serious Ramirez injury and a limited Lindor significantly weakens the Tribe and it would have been awesome if we had enough pieces in place to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sorry, I just can’t help myself in this case, because a serious Ramirez injury and a limited Lindor significantly weakens the Tribe and it would have been awesome if we had enough pieces in place to take advantage of that.

Hey, I agree 100%. If only ______

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. He's too talented to be what he was last year forever. It had a lot of the same signs of Dunn's 2011 where he came out of the gate raking and had trouble getting his timing back after an early season injury. Dunn never hit the same again, but he was much older than Moncada. 

Dunn was a lot older, but he was also fat and had a lot of injury issues. He was a big guy whose size started catching up to him. He couldn't get around to fight pitches off anymore. Moncada doesn't have a problem fighting pitches off. His K issues are more of a result of a. Adjusting to the zone. b. Getting no respect from umps on close pitches. It's not his eye, or his ability to foul off pitches, it's his judgment of the zone. 

Think about your expectations for Eloy this year in comparison to a Frank Thomas...

Now go look at Frank Thomas’s first full season in 1991. 

Damn sometimes I forget how great that guy was 1990-1997, as far as just a pure hitter who happened to hit the ball out of the park because of the strength.

Not going to put those expectations on Eloy, but he’s just different when you watch him, just like Frank was.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sox were never one player away though.

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

Think about your expectations for Eloy this year in comparison to a Frank Thomas...

Damn sometimes I forget how great that guy was 1990-1997, as far as just a pure hitter who happened to hit the ball out of the park because of the strength.

Not going to put those expectations on Eloy, but he’s just different when you watch him, just like Frank was.

Frank was a strange hitter. He had an incredibly ugly, off balance swing, but was strong as hell and had the best eye of any RH I've ever seen. Maybe the best in the history of the game. He had more "oops" hits and HR's than anybody I've ever seen. Eloy has a much prettier swing, but won't be in the same league as Frank. That's not a slight on Eloy. That's just Frank being one of the best RH hitters in the entire history of baseball. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

For his career, Frank Thomas walked nearly 300 more times than be struck out. Eloy will never be Frank Thomas and that's ok.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Frank was a strange hitter. He had an incredibly ugly, off balance swing, but was strong as hell and had the best eye of any RH I've ever seen. Maybe the best in the history of the game. He had more "oops" hits and HR's than anybody I've ever seen. Eloy has a much prettier swing, but won't be in the same league as Frank. That's not a slight on Eloy. That's just Frank being one of the best RH hitters in the entire history of the game. 

Frank had remarkable hands. He could fall off balance - flay as ass away from his hands - and his hands were so good they could get to the ball. 

He wasn't off balance often though - he was just a front foot hitter and they tend to look funny and require amazing hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Frank had remarkable hands. He could fall off balance - flay as ass away from his hands - and his hands were so good they could get to the ball. 

He wasn't off balance often though - he was just a front foot hitter and they tend to look funny and require amazing hands.

I would call it off balance and wouldn't teach it to anybody. He did have amazing hands though. His bat to ball ability was amazing. For a guy with so much success, he rarely squared pitches up. When he did, they went a long way. I remember him hitting the back of the concourse once. The only ball I've personally ever seen hit harder was off the bat of Joe Borchard funnily enough 

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I would call it off balance and wouldn't teach it to anybody. He did have amazing hands though. His bat to ball ability was amazing. For a guy with so much success, he rarely squared pitches up. When he did, they went a long way. I remember him hitting the back of the concourse once. The only ball I've personally ever seen hit harder was off the bat of Joe Borchard funnily enough 

Balance is everything in hitting. You may think it looked like he was off balance but the majority of time he was not. You can not hit balls with authority without balance and rhythm. As Frank aged and became less athletic, he got lower to the ground to help maintain the force and balance on his front side. He couldnt stand tall and shift on stride because he wasnt athletic enough to do that and maintain balance like when he was young.

You wouldn't teach it because it's uncomfortable and unnatural to many. But to those who are good at it, it allows you to attack balls way out in front while fighting those off that get deep enough. Ichiro was also a front foot hitter - the amazing hands thing pretty obvious there too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• bmags unpinned this topic