Jay injury update

southsider2k5

15 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't think anyone really cares.

I sure don't. This is the danger of losing so long. Apathy is not good. Except for Erstad I can't think of a player I've "cared" about less. 

• Love 1

Jon Jay is going to be useful enough to have around.  I am fine with him riding the pine pony in favor of Leury, Palka, Rondon and even Engel, but at some point he's going to be needed and a high OBP guy that can cover all the OF positions is useful enough.  

I know everyone hates him because he is a painful reminder of what could have been, and he's getting paid like $2M too much, but let's not lose sight of the fact that he is likely the 2nd best all around OF on the roster. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This means we will see less Adam Engel in 2019. Praise the lord!

I hope Engel is truly viewed as a 4th or 5th outfielder at this point.  I know Leury can be an adventure in CF but he has shown he can hit a bit.  All the defense in the world doesn’t make up for a .600 OPS.

• Like 1

I can stomach Alonso but I think it'd be a nice gesture to the fans to cut Jay before opening day. Every at bat he gets I'll be saying, "Why??" There's absolutely no logical reason to let that guy have more than 40 at bats. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I can stomach Alonso but I think it'd be a nice gesture to the fans to cut Jay before opening day. Every at bat he gets I'll be saying, "Why??" There's absolutely no logical reason to let that guy have more than 40 at bats. 

He's the second best outfielder on the roster, or third depending on whether or not Leury Garcia is being considered as an outfielder 

• Like 1

• With Jon Jay on the 10 DL--we get a good look at Palka, Garcia and Engle and how Rick uses these guys.  Palka's ability to handle right field is a big question mark for me.  I like Jay as a role player and predict we're glad to have him before it's over.  Although I love what Palka does for the offense he has to catch the ball.  He's been passable in the games I've watched but will wait to see him when the bright lights go on.  He has slimmed down quite a bit so am hopeful.