Sox interested in Yolbert Sanchez

EvilJester99

7 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Maybe we are expecting too much from this guy and the Sox just want him as a utility infielder backup for next season.  Madrigal will replace Yolmer at 2B and Yolmer may be gone with how expensive he has gotten via salary arbitration ($4.625 million).  Maybe they view Yolbert as a backup infielder with potential upside.

That...would not be the best use of several million dollars in international signing money.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That...would not be the best use of several million dollars in international signing money.

Looking at his Cuban stats, he IS a backup infielder with potential upside.  But maybe it’s more about scouting reports than numbers here.

Edited by Harper2Sox

I'll say this for him, from the sounds of a lot of the cuban articles I was reading, people thought he was going to be one of the next great ones on the island. He might not have a ton of power, but articles state he is a line drive hitter, so maybe he has a flat swing and could benefit from a swing change once he gets with our hitting coaches.

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'll say this for him, from the sounds of a lot of the cuban articles I was reading, people thought he was going to be one of the next great ones on the island. He might not have a ton of power, but articles state he is a line drive hitter, so maybe he has a flat swing and could benefit from a swing change once he gets with our hitting coaches.

wee-bey-reaction-gif.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Seems pretty likely to me. This was from some time back. Which led me to believe the Sox were that team and they felt they could make him wait with their Cuban track record. Whether the kid is any good or not, who knows. Hasnt hit yet, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/longenhagen/status/1092852624989122560?s=20

That also says that Baltimore was hoping for a talent like this to become available so they could spend part of their $6M budget.  Seems a bit crazy to bank on the O’s not topping a ~$2M offer when their 2018 budget will soon be worthless.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That also says that Baltimore was hoping for a talent like this to become available so they could spend part of their $6M budget.  Seems a bit crazy to bank on the O’s not topping a ~$2M offer when their 2018 budget will soon be worthless.

I was thinking that too. I wonder if they haven't offered yet waiting to see if anyone else pops up during this cycle.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Matt Lisle, your table is ready

His stats certainly aren’t anything to get excited about, but I’m sure his age has to have a factor in that as well. Seems to be one of the more talented guys available on the international market by all reports. Sox need to keep adding talent to the system. Hopefully there’s a few other guys they are looking at as well.

MLBpipeline has Sanchez as the #4 international prospect in the current signing period. I'm not sure where he'd be listed in the next period. He's 22 years old. 6'0 180. B/T: R/R 

Known for his elite defense, Sanchez's polished glove might be ready for the big leagues now. According to scouts, he can spray the ball from "line to line" and is considered a line-drive hitter. He ultimately projects to hit eight to 10 homers in the big leagues. He is also known for his average to slightly above average arm as well as an average to slightly above average running ability. Scouts also like his game instincts and track record.

Sanchez was the starting shortstop for the Havana Industriales and projected to be the starting shortstop for the island's national team before his defection last summer. He was the starting shortstop for Cuba's 23U team in Panama and was a teammate of White Sox prospect Luis Robert on the country's 18U team.

Because of his age and experience, Sanchez will sign under the international signing guidelines. The Orioles, who came up short in their pursuit of Cuban outfielders Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. and Cuban pitcher Sandy Gaston, still have close to $6 million in bonus pool money and were among the first teams to scout Sanchez in person. Should the Orioles decide to trade away their bonus money, the Twins, Brewers, Pirates, D-backs, Rockies, Indians, Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Blue Jays and Giants could be possible partners and thus be in a position to make a substantial offer.

The Dodgers, Phillies, Rangers, Cubs and Red Sox have money to spend during the current signing period. The Astros, Mets, Cardinals and White Sox could be among the teams in play for Sanchez if he decides to wait until the next signing period that starts July 2.

Sanchez is represented by Ulises Cabrera of Octagon and trains with Edwin Castillo in the Dominican Republic.

Scouting Grades: HIt 45, Power 45, Run 55, Arm 55, Field 65. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

MLBpipeline has Sanchez as the #4 international prospect in the current signing period. I'm not sure where he'd be listed in the next period. He's 22 years old. 6'0 180. B/T: R/R 

Known for his elite defense, Sanchez's polished glove might be ready for the big leagues now. According to scouts, he can spray the ball from "line to line" and is considered a line-drive hitter. He ultimately projects to hit eight to 10 homers in the big leagues. He is also known for his average to slightly above average arm as well as an average to slightly above average running ability. Scouts also like his game instincts and track record.

Sanchez was the starting shortstop for the Havana Industriales and projected to be the starting shortstop for the island's national team before his defection last summer. He was the starting shortstop for Cuba's 23U team in Panama and was a teammate of White Sox prospect Luis Robert on the country's 18U team.

Because of his age and experience, Sanchez will sign under the international signing guidelines. The Orioles, who came up short in their pursuit of Cuban outfielders Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. and Cuban pitcher Sandy Gaston, still have close to $6 million in bonus pool money and were among the first teams to scout Sanchez in person. Should the Orioles decide to trade away their bonus money, the Twins, Brewers, Pirates, D-backs, Rockies, Indians, Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Blue Jays and Giants could be possible partners and thus be in a position to make a substantial offer.

The Dodgers, Phillies, Rangers, Cubs and Red Sox have money to spend during the current signing period. The Astros, Mets, Cardinals and White Sox could be among the teams in play for Sanchez if he decides to wait until the next signing period that starts July 2.

Sanchez is represented by Ulises Cabrera of Octagon and trains with Edwin Castillo in the Dominican Republic.

Scouting Grades: HIt 45, Power 45, Run 55, Arm 55, Field 65. 

I think you have to look at it from the standpoint that you cannot teach elite defense at SS, that is rare talent. With any improvement in strength or hit tool, you are looking at a MLB starting SS, super valuable. 

I've gotta say I see no justification for this guy being discussed as a $2 million signing bonus guy. If he was a conventional free agent, sure, he might be ready to be light-hitting utility guy in MLB right now with some unknown upside. But there's a big opportunity cost when you invest so much of your pool in a guy like this who is about to be 22 and has no apparent track record of hitting at any level.  Who's to say he's any better than Yeyson Yrizarri or Cleuluis Rondon?

13 minutes ago, Jake said:

I've gotta say I see no justification for this guy being discussed as a $2 million signing bonus guy. If he was a conventional free agent, sure, he might be ready to be light-hitting utility guy in MLB right now with some unknown upside. But there's a big opportunity cost when you invest so much of your pool in a guy like this who is about to be 22 and has no apparent track record of hitting at any level.  Who's to say he's any better than Yeyson Yrizarri or Cleuluis Rondon?

I have no problem with bringing guys like this into the system, but I am upset that with two years to be ready for this moment, we have the room to make this kind of a pitch to him.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have no problem with bringing guys like this into the system, but I am upset that with two years to be ready for this moment, we have the room to make this kind of a pitch to him.

I really dont understand your point here. Someone was going to sign him. The Sox have a great in with Cuban prospects. If they thought/knew he was coming and planned for it, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Exactly this.

Look it's hard with international, we rely almost exclusively on two reporters to provide info and scouting on these guys.

But to date the sox best performing latam guys have all been high priced signings. Adolfo was ranked top 3 when he signed. Robert was one when he was available (and sox at the time could blow through their allotment for him). 

Now they certainly have had more productive classes from 2015/16, and those relied a lot on signings (when you exclude robert) in that 25-50 range. Obviously one blew up. We just aren't hearing about those at all, and I was hoping we'd be able to make relationships with 2-3 top 30 guys during this 2 year hiatus.

That requires some guesswork, as we'd be talking about 14 year olds, but that is what the top clubs have done. So it goes down to whether you trust paddy. The competition for talent in latam is higher now than the mid parts of the decade where sometimes 1/3 of teams would be out. Sox have a horrible track record, so I hoped this would be the year they could focus all resources and come out with some recognized talent.

We just have to hope we get lucky, as is the case with so much of the franchise.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly this.

Look it's hard with international, we rely almost exclusively on two reporters to provide info and scouting on these guys.

But to date the sox best performing latam guys have all been high priced signings. Adolfo was ranked top 3 when he signed. Robert was one when he was available (and sox at the time could blow through their allotment for him). 

Now they certainly have had more productive classes from 2015/16, and those relied a lot on signings (when you exclude robert) in that 25-50 range. Obviously one blew up. We just aren't hearing about those at all, and I was hoping we'd be able to make relationships with 2-3 top 30 guys during this 2 year hiatus.

That requires some guesswork, as we'd be talking about 14 year olds, but that is what the top clubs have done. So it goes down to whether you trust paddy. The competition for talent in latam is higher now than the mid parts of the decade where sometimes 1/3 of teams would be out. Sox have a horrible track record, so I hoped this would be the year they could focus all resources and come out with some recognized talent.

We just have to hope we get lucky, as is the case with so much of the franchise.

Luck is not a viable plan. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I really dont understand your point here. Someone was going to sign him. The Sox have a great in with Cuban prospects. If they thought/knew he was coming and planned for it, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Because for two years we only had to worry about one specific market.  And even with that, we weren't able to convince any of the top talent to sign here.  Now we are talking about a much more limited guy.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because for two years we only had to worry about one specific market.  And even with that, we weren't able to convince any of the top talent to sign here.  Now we are talking about a much more limited guy.

Much more limited? He'll be top 10 in his class. Possibly higher. 

I have no idea what he'll become. But he's not a bottom tier guy next year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Not seeing why there's so much outrage over being interested in a fast defensive wizard at SS who doesn't K that much. 

Guys who cover international prospects don't even seem to know much about them, let alone guys sitting in a cubicle on Soxtalk.  How can anyone have such strong feelings about this one way or the other?

• Like 2