Fernando Tatis Jr. thread

Moan4Yoan

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

Right, and Tingler came out and said it! The reason the take sign was on was because of the score, that’s the only reason. It’s not even us guessing, that’s what the manager told us! 

So stupid. 

yup and everyone trying to pretend that he was doing anything but trying to score less runs is just in denial. he's upset at tatis because he didn't want to let his foot off the gas; Tingler did. Anyone who wants a coach who tells you to take your foot of the gas is asking for failure.

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Managers give a take sign on 3-0 all the time. The reasons are too set up a bigger inning, make the pitcher work more, work on the patience of the hitter and many others. 

again, listen to the actual facts and read the actual quotes. that is not what tingler was doing. you can try to make up your own narrative but the guy said what he said and you can't change that.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Tatis did nothing wrong, baseball dinosaurs go away

Yeah.  Exactly.  

These are professional players.  Not kids playing little league.  If you don't want a team running up the score on you, play better.  Pitch better.  Don't be down 7-0.  Don't load the bases, and don't fall behind 3-0 in the count.  And if you do, then you can't complain if a guy hits a dinger.  Be better.  Don't complain about him being too good.

I think this is different for amateurs when the talent level can be drastically different.  For pros though whatever.  Suck it up.  And there is no difference in losing 12-0 or 1-0.  You still lose.  Which is all that matters.  If your feelings are hurt by a guy hitting a homerun, well, be mentally tougher, or get a new job.  

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah.  Exactly.  

These are professional players.  Not kids playing little league.  If you don't want a team running up the score on you, play better.  Pitch better.  Don't be down 7-0.  Don't load the bases, and don't fall behind 3-0 in the count.  And if you do, then you can't complain if a guy hits a dinger.  Be better.  Don't complain about him being too good.

I think this is different for amateurs when the talent level can be drastically different.  For pros though whatever.  Suck it up.  And there is no difference in losing 12-0 or 1-0.  You still lose.  Which is all that matters.  If your feelings are hurt by a guy hitting a homerun, well, be mentally tougher, or get a new job.  

I watched that game. Dude couldn't throw a strike. It was painful. Glad Tatis put him out of his misery.

1 hour ago, knightni said:

I was talking about the Pale Hose Tatis trade whining thread.

Too soon.

Well you moved it to Diamond Club where it belongs. But if we censor every thread with whining there would be no Soxtalk. I read and participate to learn new things . l learned things abount the trade I didnt know before  and because of that I feel better discussing it. Thought provoking discussion is good.   If people dont want to discuss the trade stay out of the thread . The fire dies faster when you dont keep adding fuel to it. People whining about why are we discussing this again are just adding fuel.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or 1967, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 (TCQ injury), 2010, 2012 and 2016?  

What about the year Dunn (2011) became front page news in The NY Times and WSJ?  1959 World Series?  Jerry Dybzynski?  Tito Landrum?   

10 years

4 players

1 business

1 event

In one post.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

again, listen to the actual facts and read the actual quotes. that is not what tingler was doing. you can try to make up your own narrative but the guy said what he said and you can't change that.

Even if that's the reason and you are making just as many assumptions as everyone else, the player still needs to listen to the coach. And before you start on the ruining his career excuse again, one pitch won't do that. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I agree with this. In this case the manager is wrong, but if you set up the "never do what manager says if I disagree" you are then asking the players to always be right on the field. 

Inmates should not run the asylum.

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah.  Exactly.  

Professional players should listen to their coaches. These aren't little kids with attention span of gnats. 

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Even if that's the reason and you are making just as many assumptions as everyone else, the player still needs to listen to the coach. And before you start on the ruining his career excuse again, one pitch won't do that. 

Assumptions? It's literally what he said.

You shouldn't listen to your coach if he tells you to do something that isn't in the best interest of winning the game and scoring more runs. 

I used the throwing at a kid example because that happened to me.

Playing in summer college ball, had a catcher make a spectacular play on us at home blocking the plate with his left leg while stretching for ball that was thrown up the first base line and sweep tagging the helmet before our guy could swipe slap the plate, it was a crazy good play. Our coach was pissed that:

1. Our player didn't truck the catcher (in a summer college league game lol)

2. The Catcher didn't give us right away to the plate. 

So he tells our SP to drill the catcher who is due up second in the next half inning. Our pitcher basically tells him to fuck off, and gets removed from the game. Four of us never put on the jersey again that summer and left the team. That guy is a coach of college baseball to this day. Coaches can be morons just like anyone else. Saying to ALWAYS listen to your coach is absurd. He can be in control and in charge without acting like a dictator authoritarian who dictates your every move.

I've never in my life seen a coach throw his player under a bus to defend the opposing team. Many pros are saying they've also never seen that happen. It's inexcusable for him to have thrown his best player under the bus for hitting a grand slam. Period.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

53 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Assumptions? It's literally what he said.

You shouldn't listen to your coach if he tells you to do something that isn't in the best interest of winning the game and scoring more runs. 

I used the throwing at a kid example because that happened to me.

Playing in summer college ball, had a catcher make a spectacular play on us at home blocking the plate with his left leg while stretching for ball that was thrown up the first base line and sweep tagging the helmet before our guy could swipe slap the plate, it was a crazy good play. Our coach was pissed that:

1. Our player didn't truck the catcher (in a summer college league game lol)

2. The Catcher didn't give us right away to the plate. 

So he tells our SP to drill the catcher who is due up second in the next half inning. Our pitcher basically tells him to fuck off, and gets removed from the game. Four of us never put on the jersey again that summer and left the team. That guy is a coach of college baseball to this day. Coaches can be morons just like anyone else. Saying to ALWAYS listen to your coach is absurd. He can be in control and in charge without acting like a dictator authoritarian who dictates your every move.

I've never in my life seen a coach throw his player under a bus to defend the opposing team. Many pros are saying they've also never seen that happen. It's inexcusable for him to have thrown his best player under the bus for hitting a grand slam. Period.

This is a different topic than the first. I agree the manager should not do this in public. But most people like it when a manger calls out a player or players for not doing well, this is what most people said Renteria should have been doing for the Sox when Keuchal called the team out. 

I still disagree with the first part. You have a manager to call the shots during the game. It doesn't matter if a player decides it's not the best. You don't know that's what Tatis was thinking anyway. He could have been thinking along the lines of your first comment that the grand slam will get him paid more in FA so to hell with the manager. You just can't have the players doing that.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That sounds about right...do they perchance play again this year or just a one-off?

If they still go after Tatis today, it’s going to result in a massive, social-distance challenging brawl...and you’re endangering the career of one of the top 3-5 future faces of the sport.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, ptatc said:

This is a different topic than the first. I agree the manager should not do this in public. But most people like it when a manger calls out a player or players for not doing well, this is what most people said Renteria should have been doing for the Sox when Keuchal called the team out. 

I still disagree with the first part. You have a manager to call the shots during the game. It doesn't matter if a player decides it's not the best. You don't know that's what Tatis was thinking anyway. He could have been thinking along the lines of your first comment that the grand slam will get him paid more in FA so to hell with the manager. You just can't have the players doing that.

That’s not how he thinks or is programmed.  The Padres wouldn’t have brought up Paddack and Tatis for Opening Day last year if they felt they were selfish, “me first” players.  He’s just having a lot of fun, not thinking too much...seeing the ball and hitting the ball wherever it’s pitched.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s not how he thinks or is programmed.  The Padres wouldn’t have brought up Paddack and Tatis for Opening Day last year if they felt they were selfish, “me first” players.  He’s just having a lot of fun, not thinking too much...seeing the ball and hitting the ball wherever it’s pitched.

I didn't bring that up. The other poster said it was a possibility. Besides there are many players in baseball who are "me first" players. When I worked for the Brewers Gary Sheffeild came up to  play third base and hated Milwaukee. Tom Treblehorn was the manager and Sheffield fielded a ball at 3B and threw it over the head of the 1B. He turned to the dugout and said "when are you trading me." He played in the MLB for years. 

Bottom line is, players need to listen to the managers.