Fernando Tatis Jr. thread

Moan4Yoan

32 minutes ago, GradMc said:

It dips into ownership's  profit margin.

These owners are not sportsmen.

They are business men who figured out a way to make money owning sports teams

They revere Reinsdorf for that.

The native New Yorker doesn't give a damn about Chicago's fanbase except those that enrich him.

The Sox may not be stuck with the family too much longer but lordy I feel for Bulls fans.

Frankly, the Pirates and Indians are even more upsetting. 

The problem is all these guys like Tom Hicks (Rangers/EPL) and Ricketts who are so over-leveraged in other off-the-field endeavors that they’re using the baseball team as a cash cow.  The McCourts in LA trying to get access to that massive broadcasting rights money. The Red Sox increasingly become more corporate and less like a family-run endeavor, see the Braves, for example.

Otoh, there’s those consistent success stories like the Rays, Brewers and A’s, not to mention the teams in our own division that can manage to do more with less resources.   Have never understood why we didn’t hire more front office people from those cost-efficient teams, the Indians/Twins, or even the Cardinals/Astros.  Probably a combination of the JR loyalty/stubbornness.

https://www.mlb.com/news/clayton-kershaw-gem-mookie-betts-catch-lead-win-vs-padres?partnerId=zh-20210418-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=tVOCqZvQOV5pDKmzycW7XjsfU2h5wx7%2FNE%2FIzTXcXtWfDysHPOPmwQV0DZSo7ADI&bt_ts=1618745916963

Two great games, but the Dodgers are simply coming up with that one key play in the biggest moments.

The Padres still don’t quite believe they really can beat LA.

Tatis has been terrible, and Pham hasn’t had a hit in days...when they almost tied it again for the third time in the bottom of the 8th or 9th over the span of two nights.   HoF Kershaw getting a bases loaded walk against Darvish for the winning run pretty much sums it up about as well as the Betts catch.

There’s not another team in baseball close to them IMO.  The Padres won’t overtake LA until 2022-23.

Perhaps might want to rescind the inclusion on most disappointing list.

Four homers over two consecutive nights versus Kershaw and now Bauer...along with one of the best DP turns with Cronenworth that saved a game.

No idea how the second one got out...offspeed pitch at the end of the bat but still fully extended, when he returned a week ago he was holding onto the bat in the afterswing with both hands to protect the shoulder but now seems more comfortable taking a full swing again.  Also wearing a shoulder harness.

Bauer doing this putting the sword in his scabbard thing at the end of Ks, pretty entertaining stuff for any kid to watch.

Those home run trots are both going to be played on a loop by ESPN and MLB Network...especially the second one.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=50&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=21,d&page=1_30

Here’s a head-scratcher, Omar Narvaez as the second highest rated defender in all of baseball.

For the White Sox, Moncada and Robert 1&2 despite the two early errors, Yermin last.   

Tatis with his nearly double digit errors at 198/228.  If you converted his 0.4 fWAR value to 0.6, he’d be in a tie for fourth with Baez, Galvis, Rojas and Correa.   Extrapolated, it would be 4.8, which would still be disappointing largely due to his 2019-esque defense. 

Only 9 SS with 100+ wrc+.   Bogaerts far and away #1.  Three of them (and Story) on FA market.  Should be noted Baez is much improved over his 2020 numbers.

Just read this thread.

1.) Watched the Tatis performance against Bauer. Impressive.

2.) It's old news and it's not really worth talking about anymore in how the Sox gave SD Tatis for a rotten pitcher. Unless you are somebody who lives in the past all you can say about the trade is, "it is what it is." Everybody knows.

3.) Baseball marketing. I don't think baseball owners care about attendance as it's a TV money sport, but why is the main fan 57 and older? Younger age groups don't have the money to go to games and baseball now is boring on TV so they don't watch it there, either. Somebody 25 to 35 years old is not going to a baseball game unless their dad surprises them with an outing to the ballpark. Too much $$ for one trip to the ballpark, a trip that includes silly prices for beer and food. It really doesn't matter, but baseball made the decision to outprice the younger fan, so baseball owners can enjoy the TV revenue in a sport with very very little national interest of anybody under 55.

I was talking to somebody who has 2 young kids who played at Naperville North. I asked him about Solak last night and he said, "I don't follow baseball until the playoffs." He played baseball his whole life but has no interest now.

4.) I don't get too upset about losing Tatis, only because the Sox still have a team that will probably win 2-3 WS with the current core. "It is what it is."

• Haha 2

Yes, Tatis is on a pace for 96 errors...and many of them have cost the Padres critical unearned runs.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with 35-40ish errors and the conversation throughout the season focused on the positives of moving him to the outfield to clear SS for CJ Abrams (and, most importantly, protect him from further injuries).

That said, he was one of the better defensive middle infielders in baseball just LAST year, he's still very young and it's going to be incredibly difficult for them to convince him to leave his favorite position.

So I've never actually read this thread but I find it funny that I see it as the lead thread in the diamond club on the main page all the time and it's ALWAYS Caulfield as the last poster and it's just the least surprising thing ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

So I've never actually read this thread but I find it funny that I see it as the lead thread in the diamond club on the main page all the time and it's ALWAYS Caulfield as the last poster and it's just the least surprising thing ever.

That's because he's the most entertaining player in the sport today.

And he just beat a record that only Barry Bonds on steroids had in the entire history of the game.

And, he was once a White Sox, although I'm not sure if he was ever issued an official jersey or number...not to mention his brother and potentially youngest brother will be on the White Sox, although there's very little reliable scouting information available on Daniel Fernando.

There, I did it again, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Tatis is incredible offensively, but it’s painful to see how hard he tries to make every defensive play he makes be incredible.  He’s close to making 3-4 errors every game I’ve watched this year.

Agreed.

Hence the potential move to the outfield.  He's just trying to force everything, to create a whole set of ESPN highlights every single game instead of letting things come to him.  Rushing.

He and Cronenworth turned one of the best DP's of the season that changed the course of a game this series, but he can't just seem to ever put the ball in his pocket.   Sometimes, that's the cost of having an arm like Shawon Dunston.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm looking for examples of any team that could survive this list of pitching (and their equivalents for whatever team) and still be at least .500ish and capable of beating the Dodgers 4/7.

Mike Clevinger  TJ surgery, out until 2022

Michel Baez,  TJ surgery, out until mid-2022

Adrian Morejon,  likely TJ surgery, out until mid-2022

Dinelson Lamet, still struggling with forearm issues, might avoid TJ but still to be determined, Top 5 NL Cy Young in 2020

Weathers' (Blue Jays) son just went out of the game after one inning, had pitched to a sub 1 ERA in two starts against LAD

Matt Strahm (RP/SP)  knee injury

K. Kela

D. Altavilla

Jose Castillo

Trey Wingenter (late 2021)

Pierce Johnson already had a groin issue during ST.

Tommy Pham was almost killed, over 100 stitches in his back during the offseason...and Austin Nola just came back to the active roster after a broken finger in spring training.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I'm looking for examples of any team that could survive this list of pitching (and their equivalents for whatever team) and still be at least .500ish and capable of beating the Dodgers 4/7.

Mike Clevinger  TJ surgery, out until 2022

Michel Baez,  TJ surgery, out until mid-2022

Adrian Morejon,  likely TJ surgery, out until mid-2022

Dinelson Lamet, still struggling with forearm issues, might avoid TJ but still to be determined, Top 5 NL Cy Young in 2020

Weathers' (Blue Jays) son just went out of the game after one inning, had pitched to a sub 1 ERA in two starts against LAD

Matt Strahm (RP/SP)  knee injury

K. Kela

D. Altavilla

Jose Castillo

Trey Wingenter (late 2021)

Pierce Johnson already had a groin issue during ST.

Tommy Pham was almost killed, over 100 stitches in his back during the offseason...and Austin Nola just came back to the active roster after a broken finger in spring training.

Lol literally only one of these arms is reliably good. Your weird obsession with the Padres is... well, weird. 

Clevinger was a tough loss. Lamet has never been healthy or reliable. The rest of those guys are just guys.

Thought we were gonna get a nice error count update on tqtis who made another one tonight, up to 10 and on a near record setting pace 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol literally only one of these arms is reliably good. Your weird obsession with the Padres is... well, weird. 

Clevinger was a tough loss. Lamet has never been healthy or reliable. The rest of those guys are just guys.

Thought we were gonna get a nice error count update on tqtis who made another one tonight, up to 10 and on a near record setting pace 

I guess you didn't notice the offensive stat-line or what would have been his major league leading (to go along with the errors) 8th homer to RCF that was robbed by Rojas in one of the better plays of the season (theoretical 6th in the span of 5 games), 2/4, R, 2 RBI's, etc.

According to FG, he's at -2.9 for defense before last night's error, but still on pace for a 4.8 fWAR.

You can calculate the likelihood of 10 errors in 17 GP actually turning into a pace for 75-100 errors.

Discounting Lamet because he doesn't have a long track record is funny.  Neither did Giolito before two seasons ago.  Morejon, Weathers and Baez were/are all Top 30-70 MiLB prospects over the last 2-3 years, and Clevinger was one of the best pitchers on the Indians (when healthy) before he was traded.   It's the equivalent of the White Sox losing Giolito and Lynn/Keuchel for the entire season, basically.  Or Kopech.

If he does (Tatis) get near 35-40 errors, they'll stick him in the OF and bring up Abrams, so he can focus mostly on offense and staying healthy.

As far as everything else goes, I have a right to follow an NL team, at least I think so?

I'm in every Sox game thread and following when the game's not between 1-4 a.m. in China on a work night.   Most of the fans here can't even handle West Coast games, and I'm probably older than 85% of the posters here at 51, so I'll put my White Sox fandom up against anyone else's.  If the White Sox aren't playing (see tonight), I'll follow the Padres game or anything interesting, like deGrom versus the Red Sox.  I have a fantasy league as well, so like to keep up with everything going on in the baseball world.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, a Cy Young top 5 is Dylan Cease and Clevinger is Reynaldo Lopez.

Clevinger got hurt last year. It's not like they were banking on him this season and he went down. They literally traded for Musgrove because of that injury.

Proclaiming lamet, who has had ONE good year in which he only threw 69 innings as losing keuchel or lynn is hilarious. I'm not even sure id call lamet Carlos rodon. Of carlos rodon went down for the sox, they would survive and wouldn't at all be some completely unexpected bad break.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not only Tatis, but also Profar and Mateo...doesn't have any actual symptoms, so might be able to avoid missing 8-10 days if he passes all the protocols.  No indications of not following league guidelines.

https://www.mlb.com/news/fernando-tatis-jr-jurickson-profar-jorge-mateo-on-il

The Yankees coach tested positive and he got the damn vaccine. Any or all three of these players may also have gotten vaccinated.

https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/new-york-yankees-third-base-coach-phil-nevin-tests-positive-coronavirus

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Yankees coach tested positive and he got the damn vaccine. Any or all three of these players may also have gotten vaccinated.

https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/new-york-yankees-third-base-coach-phil-nevin-tests-positive-coronavirus

94% efficacy is still 6% not.  Honesty the fact that he doesn't have symptoms is a sign that he could have had the vaccine.