Fernando Tatis Jr. thread

Moan4Yoan

Here's another point to consider.

The Padres have already blown something like 15 leads this year (at different points in games, as opposed to just BS category).

Their closer from last year, Yates, is likely out for the season...their supposed dominant RH set-up guy, Pagan, who came over from the Rays, has been hot garbage.  Stammen and Strahm have been pretty bad, too.

They've recently been forced to make Pomeranz into a situational closer, in fact.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=0&season=2020&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2020-01-01&enddate=2020-12-31&sort=11,d

Padres tied for 3rd in MLB with 5 blown saves already.

Only the Astros and Angels have been worse in this category (White Sox with just one.)

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

But the example still stands. What if the manager tells a pitcher to throw at the hitters head? Should he still follow rules at all times? I agree you can't have chaos and the inmates running the team.....but this is a unique case. 

Jon Garland once refused to do this for Ozzie...he missed on like three consecutive brushback pitches, in fact.

There was one other White Sox pitcher that famous had an issue with Coop/Ozzie and refused to drill the other team when called to do so.

Btw, our old friend Don Wakamatsu managing the Rangers today.

And there's one more thing about this Padres' situation.   It's pretty much insane the umpires didn't even issue a warning to the pitcher who threw behind Machado (and he was just suspended for 3 games.)   Pretty weird all around, when you have two of the most high-profile players in baseball involved.  Obviously quite blatant/intentional.

UNREAL.  Another grand slam in Texas, this one from Wil Myers off Mike Minor.   This is going to get testy if the Rangers begin to get frustrated...and you can definitely CANCEL any White Sox interest in acquiring Minor, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

New unwritten rule:

MLB managers should have to notify the other team when they're starting an "opener" to be piggybacked with a starter so that managers can set their line-ups accordingly, for the "second pitcher" (who will go 2-4 innings, perhaps) and not the guy who might only pitch just a single inning (like Foster with the White Sox)...

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast?type=batter&year=2020&position=&team=&min=q&sort=6&sortDir=desc

MLB Exit Velocity leaders...lots of White Sox in the Top 50.   Eloy, Abreu, Anderson and Robert.

Provides some support for Gregory Polanco being a better idea in RF than almost anyone has countenanced.

Edited by caulfield12

Grand Slams aren't something that you can just do whenever you want. They are pretty rare, actually. Alexei had like 4 his first year with us, and then maybe 2 for the rest of his career. Why anyone would want to b**** at Tatis for trying to hit the ball hard in a situation where he will be lucky to get 10 Grand Slams in his career is just plain stupid. 

Plus, the dude is putting up insane stats right now and if he can keep adding to it, he very well should. Not letting off the gas and padding his eye-popping stats is what could win Tatis an MVP award. His manager should be ashamed of himself (and fired). 

47 minutes ago, Tony said:

But the example still stands. What if the manager tells a pitcher to throw at the hitters head? Should he still follow rules at all times? I agree you can't have chaos and the inmates running the team.....but this is a unique case. 

No. Totally different.  Injuring someone on purpose is not the same as taking a single pitch.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

So in some cases, there are times when you can disagree with the manager? That's what you're saying? Because we both know in the history of baseball, managers have told pitchers to throw at a guy. But because it's in the "unwritten rules" of baseball that throwing a hard projectile at another human because he made you mad is deemed "acceptable" by the old boys club in MLB, we're all good? 

It's all ridiculous. The entire situation is a joke. Both managers should be absolutely embarrassed at their actions and how they represented this sport we all love. 

I have no problem with throwing at a guy, just not his head to cause injury. A 80 mph in the buttocks is fine with me. You should not listen to the manager if he wants you to do something that is wrong. Not baseball philosophically wrong but just wrong. Injuring someone on purpose is wrong. That would be the only reason to throw at someone's head.

I agree both managers emabarrassed themselves. The SD manager should not call out his player in public. The Texas manager should not be offended his pitcher made a bad pitch so that he-who-shall not be named could hit the grand slam. 

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Now we are talking about personal decision making and where your moral compass falls as a player. But we’ve come to an agreement that there is a situation where it’s OK to defy your coaches order. I think that sort of opens up Pandora’s box a little bit with this situation, that’s all. 

I don't think it opens up anything for this discussion. The SD manager did not ask he-who-shall not-be-named to injure any one. He asked him to not swing at one pitch. Theere was no reason he should have ignored the coach.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

The coach asked him to do something Tatis didn’t feel like was part of the game. Rizzo was on radio today and said as much:

"I can see guys getting ticked off but he did exactly what he was supposed to do swinging at a 3-0 pitch, and that's hit a grand slam. I don't know if you can be that ticked off about it. Our job is to get a hit every single time we go to the plate."

If a manager asks you to do something you aren’t comfortable with, I don’t have a problem with what Tatis did...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I disagree. I'm sure there are plenty of players on either side. I'm sure players who played under Maddon are used to this he didn't care what they did. It's eventually what got him run out of town by management.

And ANOTHER Grand Slam, walk off winner against a "pitching on fumes" (40+ pitches) Montero of the Rangers.

This time, by Machado with one down in the bottom of the 9th (Rangers tied it up 2-2 in top of 9th, went ahead 3-2 in top of the 10th.)  Tatis walked to load the bases (fouled off a number of good pitches) right b4 Machado hit.

Edited by caulfield12

Grand Slam #4, four consecutive games...has to be some type of MLB record.

This time Hosmer does the trick, with Machado, Tatis and Austin Hedges on base.

Padres' shaky bullpen blows 5-2 lead, becomes 5-6, but France and Hedges both homer, 7-6, Padres in the bottom of the 9th.   Padres and White Sox neck and neck for #3/4 for MLB team homers lead.

Edited by caulfield12

Someone's trying to get back in good graces with team's franchise cornerstone...

“He is so freaking talented,” said Padres skipper Jayce Tingler. “I don’t know how to explain it. We've got a No. 1 NFL receiver. We've got a point guard in the NBA. We've got a world class FIFA soccer player, maybe an anchor on a four-by-four Olympic team. We're just blessed that he was born in the Dominican and grew up playing baseball.

“He's a freak. And the other thing, too, is just how driven this guy is -- to not only be a great player but driven to be a champion.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/fernando-tatis-jr-incredible-leaping-grab

Obviously the trade was a huge mistake but was there any outlet in the industry who saw that trade as a big mistake at the time?

Baseball America didn't have tatis in their top30 j2 guys of 2015 and obviously he wasn't even close to any top100 lists yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/scouting-reports-for-2015s-top-30-international-prospects-for-july-2/%3famphtml

Mlb had him ranked 30th

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=int

Kiley McDaniel didn't mention him at all

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-the-top-2015-july-2nd-prospects/

I haven't seen a single article after the trade before 2016 saying he is a huge prospect.

The worst argument I heard was you can't trade away potential before you know it. That is actually terrible advice because it means you will always sell low.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Obviously the trade was a huge mistake but was there any outlet in the industry who saw that trade as a big mistake at the time?

Baseball America didn't have tatis in their top30 j2 guys of 2015 and obviously he wasn't even close to any top100 lists yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/scouting-reports-for-2015s-top-30-international-prospects-for-july-2/%3famphtml

Mlb had him ranked 30th

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=int

Kiley McDaniel didn't mention him at all

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-the-top-2015-july-2nd-prospects/

I haven't seen a single article after the trade before 2016 saying he is a huge prospect.

The worst argument I heard was you can't trade away potential before you know it. That is actually terrible advice because it means you will always sell low.

No, you see, we must suffer forever and always, even in the middle of the season that will likely result in our first trip to the playoffs since 2008.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...