Fernando Tatis Jr. thread

Moan4Yoan

• 1 month later...

He’s back and on fire.

Fernando Tatis Jr. hit a two-run home run and scored two runs in a win over the Orioles on Tuesday.

Orioles starter Jimmy Yacabonis hung a breaking ball in the second inning that Tatis skied to center field, just eluding the outstretched glove of center fielder Keon Broxton for a two-run blast. The homer was his ninth of the season, giving him 25 RBI and 34 runs scored to go with nine steals. The 20-year-old has been as advertised through the season's first half, batting a robust .323/.392/.585 in 44 games played.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s back and on fire.

Fernando Tatis Jr. hit a two-run home run and scored two runs in a win over the Orioles on Tuesday.

Orioles starter Jimmy Yacabonis hung a breaking ball in the second inning that Tatis skied to center field, just eluding the outstretched glove of center fielder Keon Broxton for a two-run blast. The homer was his ninth of the season, giving him 25 RBI and 34 runs scored to go with nine steals. The 20-year-old has been as advertised through the season's first half, batting a robust .323/.392/.585 in 44 games played.

https://theathletic.com/1039856/2019/06/21/is-fernando-tatis-jr-already-the-most-impressive-athlete-in-padres-history/

Tatis is hitting .333/.392/.600, the team leader in both average and on-base percentage. Meanwhile, he has benefited from a .433 batting average on balls in play, second-highest among players with at least 150 plate appearances. Regression appears inevitable.

Yet that number is elevated largely due to Tatis’ speed and awareness. Already this season he has logged a 4.15-second time to first base, exceptional for a right-handed batter. His average sprint speed, at 29.2 feet per second, places him on par with Mike Trout and Trevor Story, two of the sports’ most formidable athletes. At 20, Tatis also wields a critical separator.

“You see guys with that speed, but you never really see guys with the speed and the instincts he has,” said Padres first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Tatis has yet to encounter an extended slump, an unavoidable rite of major-league passage. When he does, his speed figures to serve him well. So does continued experience.

In the meantime, his combination of tools and smarts already belongs among the elite. One veteran National League West scout, asked where Tatis’ athleticism ranks among Padres players he has seen, did not need even a handful of seconds to scan his memory. “Tops,” the scout texted in response. Tatis Sr., speaking earlier this season, predicted his son would grow at least another half-inch. Myers, the owner of one of two cycles in Padres history, believes Tatis Jr. could achieve the feat more than once.

“Every time he comes to the ballpark, he does something that I haven’t seen before, does something that’s special, does something that only he can do,” Myers said. “I know Mike Trout’s the best player in baseball, but this guy right here can definitely rival him.”

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Teams make mistakes but if his talent is so apparent ... how in the hell ...

https://theathletic.com/884960/2019/03/25/everybody-was-surprised-but-here-we-are-an-oral-history-of-how-the-padres-acquired-fernando-tatis-jr/?fbclid=IwAR06UYbnb7anXASq9MBN4-brCO1FYhOQKPPXYOshn4T7RgyXMB27NftqcbI

Tatis Sr.: Marco Paddy, he was one of the best in the business, I believe. And the first time that he saw my son, he said, “He’s going to be a big-leaguer, there’s no doubt. And I’m going to sign him. Let everybody see him, but I’m going to be the one to sign him.” That’s what he told me: “No matter what he does, no matter what everybody does, what kind of offer they’ve got, I’m going to be the one to sign him, because this kid is going to be something special.”

I told Marco, “Right now, he doesn’t look the same height as all these kids. They get to sign for a lot of money, because they’re tall, they’re big, they’re strong.” He was one of the skinny guys, and I’m talking about 40 kids, 40 kids who were doing tryouts for the DPL in that moment. He was one of the small ones, and I told Marco Paddy, “Look, our family, we have the potential to grow a little bit late. When we start turning around 17, 18, that’s when we start growing. Watch.” And Bebo, Junior, he started to grow one inch every year.

Fernando Tatis, Sr.: I was shocked in that moment, because how in the world do you trade a kid without seeing him play one game? So, they didn’t even know how good he’s going to be or exactly what kind of player you have.

You never expect that at that age. It’s something where you want to be with your team, you want to be with the team that you signed with. And when you get traded, it’s something where you feel weird and you think, “Now I’m going to miss all my friends. I’ve got to make a lot of friends on another team. I’m going to go to another team that I don’t know.”

Tatis Jr.: I was thinking about (making it to) Chicago all the way around. It was the main goal, the main focus. It took a couple days. When I got (to the Padres’ complex in Arizona) and I started practicing with the boys, it was like, this is really happening.

Tatis made his professional debut on June 22, 2016, and went 0 for 5 with two strikeouts for the Padres’ Arizona Rookie League club. Five days later, he went 3 for 4 and hit his first home run. The opposing team: the AZL White Sox.

Tatis Sr.: It was very exciting at that moment to hit it. He called me right away. He was very happy.

DeYoung: Any time you get traded, I’m sure there’s some motivation on the player’s part to go to a new place and show what you can do.

Tatis Jr.: When you’re just underrated like that, you’ve just got to keep going, keep working hard, keep showing what you’ve got.

I’ll just say this much, Greg, and then I’m done with Tatis commentary for the year.

He’s a true SS even though he’s now 6’3” 1/2 and closing in on 6’4”.  That’s why there are comparisons being made to Carlos Correa, A-Rod, Corey Seager and Cal Ripken, Jr.  I think Javy Baez with a better, more instinctive feel for situational hitting is closer.

Having watched quite a few Padres’ games this year...he’s already the one player that ignites the club in terms of enthusiasm and the sheer joy of playing the game.  You could feel it when he was out for five weeks with the hamstring injury.  He can be a showboat at times, but you love him if he’s your teammate and maybe despise him in other dugouts because of his age and how easily things seem to come to him.

He’s striking out a lot, but around 30% isn’t bad at all for a 21 year old who is getting his opponent’s best stuff every at-bat.  He has easy power to all fields...the ball jumps off his bat like Moncada, but he’s more fast twitchy in terms of his upper body not being so bulked up.  In that sense, he’s a bigger and faster Alexei Ramirez.   He gets so much leverage at that height when he can get his arms out and extended.

Defensively, he has been timed this season at 94 mph throwing from SS...he whips the ball over to first so hard, the best comparison that immediately comes to mind is Shawon Dunston.   For the amount of acrobatic, highlight reel plays he makes...his error total per game is pretty darned impressive for a rookie.  Playing next to Machado and sharing the same agent and support system has really helped him to feel completely comfortable from Day 1 at the big league level.

He’s got an unreal batting average with balls put in play because of his speed and exit velocity off the bat.  That will normalize...he’s probably not a high 900’s ops guy, I would assume closer to 850-875 but he is getting a respectable number of walks and pitch arounds.  He struck out the most on breaking pitches and high fastballs at max velocity up in the zone, but he’s actually gotten quite a few extra base hits on sliders...so it’s going to be a series of adjustments for him as the league tries to exploit his weaknesses.

In the final summary, the main risk factor is injuries...the reckless abandon he displays on the basepaths and doing things that most other players wouldn’t even try (the full splits on an errant throw from the pitcher to second base)...he believes there’s nothing he can’t do, which could easily be his undoing if he doesn’t learn how to better protect himself.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:27 AM, caulfield12 said:

In the final summary, the main risk factor is injuries...the reckless abandon he displays on the basepaths and doing things that most other players wouldn’t even try (the full splits on an errant throw from the pitcher to second base)...he believes there’s nothing he can’t do, which could easily be his undoing if he doesn’t learn how to better protect himself.

Baseball certainly has an injury problem. I know some are fluke, but I got to thinking with all the crap Avi took ... Timmy is about to miss six weeks or so minimum, all our pitcher injuries. Avi's injuries were just par for the course in Sox baseball. Who isn't getting hurt? And reputations are built so quickly. Let's say Timmy is out til the third week of August and we're so far out of the race he plays sparingly if at all the rest of the season. Then lets say heaven forbid he gets hurt next May or June. Will suddenly he have the injury tag that Avi had with Sox fans?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Baseball certainly has an injury problem. I know some are fluke, but I got to thinking with all the crap Avi took ... Timmy is about to miss six weeks or so minimum, all our pitcher injuries. Avi's injuries were just par for the course in Sox baseball. Who isn't getting hurt? And reputations are built so quickly. Let's say Timmy is out til the third week of August and we're so far out of the race he plays sparingly if at all the rest of the season. Then lets say heaven forbid he gets hurt next May or June. Will suddenly he have the injury tag that Avi had with Sox fans?

Yes. If you get injured several times you will have a reputation for getting injured. 

So it should be noted that Tatis has already missed big chunks of the last two seasons with major wrist and hamstring (5 weeks) injuries...and he’s so big, that he’s going to hit even more frequently for showboating and because they’re pitching him inside more to keep him from getting extended out over the plate.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. If you get injured several times you will have a reputation for getting injured. 

Who isn't getting hurt? I'd like to see a list of all major leaguers and the percentage who have missed a least a month on average every season.

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando Tatis Jr. went 2-for-4 with two home runs and four RBI to help the Padres down the Dodgers 5-3 on Sunday.

Tatis led off the game with a drive to center field for a solo shot, and he crushed a three-run homer in the fifth for his second dinger of the game. It was a nice exclamation point on a very strong first half for the rookie, who hit a robust .327/.393/.620 with 14 homers and 13 steals in 55 games. If we know anything about the 20-year-old, this is only the beginning.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

That was some move to get out of the run down today vs. Atlanta. Kid is just incredible.

He made almost as good a play when the game was tied in the bottom of the 8th yesterday.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out...dribbler to second, batter out at first.  Hosmer throws across to Tatis, who has to sprint from the second base bag nearly all the way to 1B to tag out Granderson (caught in a rundown) a half step before he reaches first and before the runner from second can score the go ahead run.

That is the textbook definition of DRS. 

He also K’d twice, homered and got a tough scorer’s ruling on a feed to Kinsler which should have been caught but glanced off his glove.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

And of course he plays terribly and helps the Cubs win

He has had the worst four game stretch of his career.

11 k’s, four errors (increasing his total by 40% in five days)...one homer, two walks, two singles.  Hosmer bailed him out with a stretch play, or it would be five errors.

Still has made two really exciting plays on the basepaths, one advancing to second while Bote was arguing, the other in Miami to save a run.

fWAR falls from 3.4 to 3.2, has also missed five weeks of the season, too.

In comparison, Ronald Acuna, Jr. at the same age with 3.7 and 3.3 so far this year.

13 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Me thinks the .431 BABIP is unsustainable

Well yeah, 342-370 have been his minor league numbers in that category.

We’ve said all along he was closer to an 875-900 ops level than the 975-1025 of the last month.

That’s pretty much exactly where Moncada is now as a 24 year old.  They both hit the ball extremely hard when they do hit it...and Tatis has a knack for beating out almost every infield hit with his speed (like Avi did a couple of seasons ago, or Eaton.)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2019-07-19/padres-cubs-eric-lauer-anthony-rizzo-grand-slam

Basically, he’s play too fast defensively and trying to do too much...believing he can make every single play...double plays when he should just take the sure out, etc.

Have seen it intermittently with Anderson...or he waits too long to make a throw and gets behind the ball.  Almost all of his mistakes are throwing and not fielding the ball cleanly.  Two were wild throws to second base on plays he thought they could turn two (but manager disagreed.)

Pressing...that’s what happens when you lose 6/7 coming out of the break, very similar to White Sox, although most of the games have been close ones that turned on one or two plays.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

468 feet to RCF...only 18 ft. off the longest in MLB this year, Ian Desmond in Colorado.

Longest by a non-outfielder in Padres’ Statcast history.

Did they change the distance of Mazara's home run against us?

7 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Did they change the distance of Mazara's home run against us?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27026944/mazara-505-foot-hr-ties-longest-five-years

Guess that info was out of date...interestingly, Mazara has/had 2 of the 4 longest (Gary Sanchez and Desmond)

https://www.mlb.com/news/10-longest-homers-measured-by-statcast-c293547722

He also had another in 2016...these were the longest of the Statcast era, beginning in 2015...two were Coors, one was Arizona.

• knightni changed the title to Fernando Tatis Jr. thread