FS: White Sox Interested in signing Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez

Y2Jimmy0

I am a bit surprised, even if you account for the fact that they have ignored it for years and had turnover with a new department, that baltimore continues to get outbid for talent despite the most ability to spend in this current period. 

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

Can someone explain to me why the Orioles can't just offer him like 3-4 million?  What else are they going to do with that money if they've missed out on the other big names and they didn't have agreements in place with any of the lesser guys?

We THINK our international program is bad, but theirs is quite literally the worst in baseball.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We THINK our international program is bad, but theirs is quite literally the worst in baseball.

You must pass their physicals to get paid and you can’t have so much as a hangnail.  The Orioles are an interesting organization.  They are terrible enough that no one wants to play there but has such high expectations for giving money to players.

Edited by Harper2Sox

9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Can someone explain to me why the Orioles can't just offer him like 3-4 million?  What else are they going to do with that money if they've missed out on the other big names and they didn't have agreements in place with any of the lesser guys?

I have no idea what they are doing. My only guess, considering how they have whiffed on victor victor and all the rest the last two years when it seemed like they were in the cat-bird seat, is that they have a terrible reputation that keeps sending these players to other orgs.

Although terrible reputation may also just mean not playing the game the way others are, nudge nudge, wink wink.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have no idea what they are doing. My only guess, considering how they have whiffed on victor victor and all the rest the last two years when it seemed like they were in the cat-bird seat, is that they have a terrible reputation that keeps sending these players to other orgs.

Although terrible reputation may also just mean not playing the game the way others are, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Could they maybe just not want to spend the money? 

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

Could they maybe just not want to spend the money? 

Definitely, it is the orioles, but they have spent to get a new executive team and made some good moves this offseason in terms of infrastructure. It's just surprising that low hanging fruit like this isn't being used.

OR they also may just not like this guy and are trying to trade their space for a prospect and feel like they have leverage.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Definitely, it is the orioles, but they have spent to get a new executive team and made some good moves this offseason in terms of infrastructure. It's just surprising that low hanging fruit like this isn't being used.

OR they also may just not like this guy and are trying to trade their space for a prospect and feel like they have leverage.

Man, they have nothing worth trading on the MLB roster. They are in for a looong rebuild. And if any of their top prospects come up and perform over the next couple of years, it almost feels like they have to work out an extension to buy a couple free agent years or trade them away later.

31 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Man, they have nothing worth trading on the MLB roster. They are in for a looong rebuild. And if any of their top prospects come up and perform over the next couple of years, it almost feels like they have to work out an extension to buy a couple free agent years or trade them away later.

Yeah, it sucks but I think people forget how successful they were for a 4 /5 year period. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

We have seen teams that have no option but rebuild take several years to acknowledge that situation. One is the team we follow. KC is in a similar situation post champion. 

I thought I read somewhere that one of the reasons the Orioles haven't done much internationally is because they have moral/ethical concerns about it and believe it to be largely exploitation,  but I can't find anything about that now though so maybe I'm misremembering.

1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

I thought I read somewhere that one of the reasons the Orioles haven't done much internationally is because they have moral/ethical concerns about it and believe it to be largely exploitation,  but I can't find anything about that now though so maybe I'm misremembering.

Angelos? Peter?

He's just cheap. He doesn't want to spend money on something that doesn't pay immediate dividends.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:45 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously you bring the guy in and hope he figures out how to hit, but it is still disappointing that we have this much cap space left, and haven't been listed as in on any of the top guys so far.

I'm confused....didn't the tweet saying we were interested say he would have to be a June 1st signing? Now i know that may be because of age or whatever, but wouldn't the sox have new money to spend for the new crop? 

9 hours ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

Sooo, the outrage is because the Sox haven't been rumored to be in on other guys? Isn't international money slotted? 

International bonus money is capped and that is kind of why a lot of people are mad. This guy just popped up this year (no one knew he was going to be available), and the Sox are willing to give him $2.5mm which means they still have that amount unallocated even though they have had two years in the penalty box to line up deals with better guys for this coming J2 period. So basically being rumored to be offering this guy $2.5mm means that we have only spent $2.5mm on other prospects even though most of the agreements have already taken place. This seems to line up with the fact that we aren't connected to any of the prospects on the top international amateur lists from any of the different sources.

• Thanks 1