Most "watchable" minors team 2019

bmags

MILB Pass Rankings  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which team are you most excited to follow this year?

• Charlotte Knights
    • Birmingham Barons
    • Winston-Salem Dash
    • Kannapolis (what's their name now?)
    • Great Falls Voyagers
    • AZL White Sox
    • DSL White Sox

Interested in who you are most excited to follow this year?

I think this may be the most watchable Charlotte has been since the first half of 2017 when Gio, Lopez and Moncada were on it.

For me it's Kannapolis. I'm most interested in guys that we don't get to see much, so to see a group of our younger prospects like Sosa, Zangari, Curbelo, Bush, Nunez, that's fun.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would say Birmingham because they are loaded now and should receive Robert and Madrigal by early June 

Yeah this is true. I think W-S, when you take into account what's likely to be playing all year, would be the least exciting (obviously DSL is not going to get votes).

So birmingham will have (feels like i'm drawing a huge blank):

- adolfo

- rutherford

- Luis Gonzalez

- (june) Robert/Madrigal)

- Laz Rivera

- Sheets

What pitchers of interest will be there?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah this is true. I think W-S, when you take into account what's likely to be playing all year, would be the least exciting (obviously DSL is not going to get votes).

So birmingham will have (feels like i'm drawing a huge blank):

- adolfo

- rutherford

- Luis Gonzalez

- (june) Robert/Madrigal)

- Laz Rivera

- Sheets

What pitchers of interest will be there?

Birmingham should start with Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe (injured), Adolfo, Sheets, Rivera as the most interesting position players, yes. In the rotation it will likely be: Lambert, Flores, Medeiros. Tyler Johnson, Hunter Schryver and some AAA excess likely in the bullpen. All these close to ready relievers can't go to Charlotte 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Birmingham should start with Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe (injured), Adolfo, Sheets, Rivera as the most interesting position players, yes. In the rotation it will likely be: Lambert, Flores, Medeiros. Tyler Johnson, Hunter Schryver and some AAA excess likely in the bullpen. All these close to ready relievers can't go to Charlotte 

Yeah, Lambert is definitely the pitcher to watch. I had kinda assumed basabe would be in AAA but they likely will not push him after an injury that much (though he, more than any other prospect, seems to be undeterred by failing initially at a new level then figuring it out)

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, Lambert is definitely the pitcher to watch. I had kinda assumed basabe would be in AAA but they likely will not push him after an injury that much (though he, more than any other prospect, seems to be undeterred by failing initially at a new level then figuring it out)

I think Basabe goes up to Charlotte when Robert goes to AA. 

Kanny will be fun for the reasons mentioned in the first post. I'm really excited to follow Bush, Nunez/Sosa, and Zangari over a full season. I'm hopeful that they're a little more aggressive with promoting Zangari to Winston-Salem if he stays healthy 

Birmingham.

Could potentially have an outfield of Gonzalez, Rutherford and Adolfo to start the season, with Basabe coming back from injury as well. Also a strong possibility that we see Robert by mid-season, and Madrigal could start the year with the team, and if not, I would imagine he would be there by mid-May. Sheets should start the season with the Barons as well.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Kanny will be fun for the reasons mentioned in the first post. I'm really excited to follow Bush, Nunez/Sosa, and Zangari over a full season. I'm hopeful that they're a little more aggressive with promoting Zangari to Winston-Salem if he stays healthy 

That's why they are gonna be a fun watch. Those kids are likely to be together there all year. Birmingham will have alot of moving parts with guys either moving up or guys from W-S getting promoted. I think Birmingham will be the team to watch the second half of the year. 

If we’re trying to be objective, here is the likely breakdown by FutureSox’s top 30:

• Charlotte: (3) Cease, (8) Collins, (13) Burdi, (16) Zavala, (19) Stephens, (30) Adams, (HM) Thompson, (HM) Vieira, (HR) Mendick, (HR) Ruiz, (HR) Guerrero
  • Birmingham: (7) Adolfo, (9) Basabe, (10) Gonzalez, (11) Rutherford, (18) Sheets, (20) Johnson, (22) Lambert, (23) Flores, (25) Rivera, (29) Medeiros, (HM) Booker
  • Winston-Salem: (4) Robert, (5) Madrigal, (12) Hansen, (14) Burger*, (HR) McClure, (HM) Henzman
  • Kannapolis: (15) Walker, (21) Bush, (24) Pilkington, (26) Sosa, (27) Curbelo, (28) Stiever, (HM) Nunez

Birmingham is the clear standout here, especially since Robert, Madrigal, & Hansen should all get first promotions.

Charlotte & Kannapolis are probably tied for second (for completely different reasons) with Winston-Salem a distant fourth IMO

11 hours ago, bmags said:

Basebe has some serious gonads - I think you are spot on there. He's one of those kids that you could throw in the big leagues today, and he could start 0-40 with 39k's and if you talked to him, he'd tell you he's ready to break through and he's figured it out. It's one of the reasons I really love Basebe - he has that desire to take on a challenge. I heard something about him after the futures game, where a teammate asked him if he realized how fast the pitch was he just turned around... and he told them, seemed like a regular fastball to me. Not sure how true the story is, but found it amusing.