3/28 GT - Sox @ Royals (3:15pm CST)

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Him and his wife were bongin' beers, but they weren't no O'Douls.

as someone who just has visited chicago a bunch and lived vicariously a bit through a college gf from homewood that song and video just always gives me all the chicago in the summer nostalgia feelz.

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Yolmer actually has been that or better the past 2 seasons.

Not really, but people ripping on Yolmer are just a bunch of curmudgeons. Yolmer a great teammate, very good and versatile defender, and a potentially serviceable bat. He's a guy who should play 100 games at multiple positions spelling starters throughout the infield and coming in late for defense. Ripping on Yolmer just shows how negative and toxic this place is becoming.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not really, but people ripping on Yolmer are just a bunch of curmudgeons. Yolmer a great teammate, very good and versatile defender, and a potentially serviceable bat. He's a guy who should play 100 games at multiple positions spelling starters throughout the infield and coming in late for defense. Ripping on Yolmer just shows how negative and toxic this place is becoming.

and starting him is a sign...

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

and starting him is a sign...

It's not really a sign. He's certainly capable of being a 2.5 WAR player and a starter this year if he plays well - it's certainly within his likely outcomes. An average MLB player. If he doesn't he's slightly below average.

For a forum that ignorantly adores Daniel f'ing Palka to ridicule yolmer Sanchez is just laughable. They want at bats and opportunities for a guy who has no business being in a big league uniform yet they destroy Yolmer Sanchez. It's comical.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you admit Yolmer is a bench player, yet he is the Sox starting second baseman, but also wonder why Sox fans would be negative about him being in the lineup?

What did Hahn get for his $45 million this offseason?  Obviously not a starting second baseman.  That was far more toxic.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

So you admit Yolmer is a bench player, yet he is the Sox starting second baseman, but also wonder why Sox fans would be negative about him being in the lineup?

What did Hahn get for his $45 million this offseason?  Obviously not a starting second baseman.  That was far more toxic.

I didnt admit he was anything. I said he's not guaranteed to be a 2.5 WAR player but it's certainly within his most likely outcomes. If he's a 2.5 WAR player he's league average. 2 years ago he was 2.2 in like 135 games. 

He's not even one of the 3 worst starters on the team so this animosity towards him makes zero sense. He's actually one of the few guys on the team that would have a spot on nearly every team in baseball.

The overwhelming negativity is by far this places biggest turn off. It's neverending. Go find another hobby or team if this one makes you so miserable. My goodness.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I didnt admit he was anything. I said he's not guaranteed to be a 2.5 WAR player but it's certainly within his most likely outcomes. If he's a 2.5 WAR player he's league average. 2 years ago he was 2.2 in like 135 games. 

He's not even one of the 3 worst starters on the team so this animosity towards him makes zero sense. He's actually one of the few guys on the team that would have a spot on pretty much every team in baseball.

Ummm, okay...  you said he should be “spelling starters”.  That screams backup.

Sure, Yolmer would have a spot on most teams but he wouldn’t be starting at 2B for most of those teams like he is with the Sox.

And I don’t get your earlier argument, neither Yolmer nor Palka are legitimate MLB starters.  We have more holes than just Yolmer.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Yolmer actually has been that or better the past 2 seasons.

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Baseball Reference has Yolmer with a 3.5 WAR in 2017 and 2.6 WAR in 2018.

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Ummm, okay...  you said he should be “spelling starters”.  That screams backup.

Sure, Yolmer would have a spot on most teams but he wouldn’t be starting at 2B for most of those teams like he is with the Sox.

And I don’t get your earlier argument, neither Yolmer nor Palka are legitimate MLB starters.  We have more holes than just Yolmer.

Yes on a good team that's what he would ideally be doing. A Marwin type. But its not a good team and theres zero problem with him starting. People begging for Rondon over yolmer is laughable.

55 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes on a good team that's what he would ideally be doing. A Marwin type. But its not a good team and theres zero problem with him starting. People begging for Rondon over yolmer is laughable.

It's laughable to want a natural shortstop who slugged .500 in the minors last year some more playing time? Rondon might never amount to anything, but we won't know if we don't give him the chance 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not really a sign. He's certainly capable of being a 2.5 WAR player and a starter this year if he plays well - it's certainly within his likely outcomes. An average MLB player. If he doesn't he's slightly below average.

For a forum that ignorantly adores Daniel f'ing Palka to ridicule yolmer Sanchez is just laughable. They want at bats and opportunities for a guy who has no business being in a big league uniform yet they destroy Yolmer Sanchez. It's comical.

I agree. He is either league average or slightly below, definitely a nice place holder for madrigal and not the problem of the sox. He won't become a plus player but for now he is ok.

I mean there are so many sub 1 and even negative war players on the sox roster...

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but rebuilding teams shouldn’t be wasting playing time on league average types with limited ceilings.  A guy like Sanchez shouldn’t get multiple years in a starting role.  Once he’s established his value, he should be moved and the position should be opened up for another young player like Rondon in this case.  And I like Yolmer, but him being here right now isn’t doing anything to help the rebuild.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

You do realize that we are starting the 3rd season of a rebuild and a good portion of the starting lineup is still placeholders,  right? This team isn't meant to win anything,  why are you acting like this should be a playoff team? I thought all of this was obvious but maybe not. This roster is still a ways away from being a playoff level roster and when that happens guys like Yolmer play up. Hopefully this helps your perspective. 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is wrong.

Your statement is technically true but misses 100% of the nuance. They moved him to 3b at the start of spring training, and that was after they were already told the Padres had a better offer on the table than what the White Sox had put forth. So while the whiff was not complete, it was known and in progress.

Basically, the FO swung and missed, but you're saying we can't call it a whiff until the umpire says the word strike to confirm things. 

13 hours ago, The Sir said:

Sheesh, guy, it was tongue-in-cheek. But with the offensive struggles we've had for years, it's not fun when a season starts with six innings and two hits. I get that we're going to suck, and I'm watching in spite of it. I do believe this team's going to hit, and I want that because losing 8-6 with crazy things like back-to-back singles every once in a while is way more fun than losing 1-0. That was the entire, joking point of the post.

I'll think about other hobbies, but maybe I could test out moonlighting as Mr. Super Serious Message Board Guy. Does it make you happy?

Good response . Tony's been here a long time and gets respect but sometimes even the respected posters get a little nuts and deserve the "old man yells at cloud" award.

Didn't enjoy the outcome, but you know what I did enjoy, surprisingly?

Yoan at third base. I think that works so well, especially when Madrigal is ready to go. I'm digging the combo of Yoan/Timmy/Nick in the near future. First base is sorta...well, I'm guessing Abreu isn't going anywhere either, and it could be worse there.

Rodon looked really good through 5, which is more than I expected TBH.

• bmags unpinned this topic