2019 Minor League Infields

Chicago White Sox

With the minor league season still a week away, I figured we could project out the infields for each affiliate and discuss the strengths and weaknesses.

Here is how I see them shaking out:

Charlotte:

• 1B: Matt Skole / Zack Collins
  • 2B: Eddy Alvarez
  • SS: Danny Mendick
  • 3B: Ryan Goins (not sure here)

Birmingham:

• 1B: Gavin Sheets
  • 2B: Mitch Roman
  • SS: Laz Rivera
  • 3B: Ti’Quan Forbes

Winston-Salem:

• 1B: Michael Deeb (no idea here)
  • 2B: Nick Madrigal
  • SS: Yeyson Yrizarri
  • 3B: Tate Blackman / Jake Burger*

Kannapolis:

• 1B: Corey Zangari
  • 2B: Amado Nunez
  • SS: Luis Curbelo / Lenyn Sosa
  • 3B: Bryce Bush

Generally speaking our IF depth is pretty weak, but damn that Kannapolis group at least provides some dreaming.  Will be fun to see how playing time shakes out there, but it looks they’ll have to rotate guys in the DH spot or give Bush some playing time in LF.  Also, no idea what they plan on doing with Ramon Beltre, who is at least semi interesting. 

Birmingham will actually be damn solid right once Madrigal gets promoted.  If Ravera can learn some actual plate discipline he could be a dude.  Sheets is simply game power away from being a quality 1B prospect.  Even Forbes is worth a follow based on his athletic abilities alone.

Not much else to get excited about beyond those two groups.  Will be great to have have Burger back at some point, but after that it’s really just org filler outside of Mendick.

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I haven't really followed Forbes much since we acquired him. Does he have a chance to turn into something?

Steady improvement, you just kinda hope he develops some more power. Definitely a guy that helps get you a nice deadline reliever.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

If Collins is listed as 1b than Zavala should be too. I forget who, but it was said both would get playing time at 1b.

Also isn't Curbelo a 3b?

Yes, should have probably listed Zavala at 1B as well.  As for Curbelo, he plays both 3B & SS.  My guess is him and Sosa get moved around quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I think Eddy Alvarez just got traded. He and Jake Elmore are listed as traded to Miami and Pittsburgh respectively on this roster site which is usually accurate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRkx7h7y1OZ6xFub4XjCWnQJbH2sXV59qxcp2Y9iTwuOyABvrmHsqIG2ONx89VwwjQr7dNi252Ww4Ao/pubhtml?gid=67648048&single=false#

Roster resource doesn’t list him either, so you’re probably right.

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I think Eddy Alvarez just got traded. He and Jake Elmore are listed as traded to Miami and Pittsburgh respectively on this roster site which is usually accurate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRkx7h7y1OZ6xFub4XjCWnQJbH2sXV59qxcp2Y9iTwuOyABvrmHsqIG2ONx89VwwjQr7dNi252Ww4Ao/pubhtml?gid=67648048&single=false#

Bodes well for Trey Michalczewski

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Generally speaking our IF depth is pretty weak, but damn that Kannapolis group at least provides some dreaming.  Will be fun to see how playing time shakes out there, but it looks they’ll have to rotate guys in the DH spot or give Bush some playing time in LF.  Also, no idea what they plan on doing with Ramon Beltre, who is at least semi interesting. 

Birmingham will actually be damn solid right once Madrigal gets promoted.  If Ravera can learn some actual plate discipline he could be a dude.  Sheets is simply game power away from being a quality 1B prospect.  Even Forbes is worth a follow based on his athletic abilities alone.

Not much else to get excited about beyond those two groups.  Will be great to have have Burger back at some point, but after that it’s really just org filler outside of Mendick.

"Birmingham will actually be damn solid right once Madrigal gets promoted."??? I've got to believe they're damn solid right now! Wasn't this the starting WS infield(before Roman's promotion) that went to the playoffs last season? I'm fairly new to this forum. But it appears to me that some posters become enamored by how high a player was drafted or by what some prognosticator has labeled them as. There are players in this organization that have made the playoffs(or helped) in each of their seasons. What the actual point of playing the game? Winning and playing the game the right way!

1 hour ago, buntforahit said:

"Birmingham will actually be damn solid right once Madrigal gets promoted."??? I've got to believe they're damn solid right now! Wasn't this the starting WS infield(before Roman's promotion) that went to the playoffs last season? I'm fairly new to this forum. But it appears to me that some posters become enamored by how high a player was drafted or by what some prognosticator has labeled them as. There are players in this organization that have made the playoffs(or helped) in each of their seasons. What the actual point of playing the game? Winning and playing the game the right way!

I’m not trying to be a dick, but evaluating the quality of minor leaguers by their team’s Win-Loss record is just plain dumb.  You should be judging these guys based on their individual performance and their tools / underlying ability.

No offense taken. Just a difference of opinion. I believe there's a lot to be said about playing in the post-season. 1. Individual performance and underlying ability usually rise to the top. That's why they're playing in the  post season.  2. It bodes well for future seasons(as in been there before) 3. Creates a positive environment within the organization.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, OneDog847 said:

This list is pretty damn depressing honestly. Madrigal is the only guy in the top 150 prospects. 

Thanks OneDog, you helped make my point. Madrigal's a 3-tool guy(no power and not a +arm), yet still a top 150 prospect. the kid can play, no doubt. But to get the attention and accolades he does after a single 1/2 season of pro ball boggles my mind.