Chicago Sky in the Finals

For some weird reason, the Chicago Sun-Times has started regular coverage fo the Chicago Sky WNBA team despite the fact that the Sky has only been in the playoffs four times in its 13-year existence and went deep into those playoffs only once.

Meanwhile, the same newspaper has failed to cover the Windy City Bulls despite that team's making the playoffs this year and it has failed to cover the Chicago Wolves despite that team's outstanding season thus far.  The paper has also failed to cover the Chicago Fire MLS team or the Chicago Mustangs indoor soccer team.  It has also failed to adequately cover the minor league baseball teams in the Chicago area or the indoor football teams around her, not to mention the Chicago Steel junior hockey team.

Why is the historically lackluster Sky team getting regular coverage while all these other teams don't get anything?

Probably because the Sky are a (to use baseball terms) a major league team and all the others with the exception of the Fire are minor league teams.

I don't know about the print version of the paper, but they have a bunch of stories on the Fire on their website.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/section/fire-soccer/

But I don't know that there's a whole lot of interest in MLS in the city compared to the 4 major sports.

• Like 1

Honestly, the amount of coverage any team gets by a newspaper is almost irrelevant as the newspaper industry is slowing dying off. If you want coverage on a specific team, you can find it online.

I think the last time I actually looked at a physical copy of our local Rockford newspaper, it was maybe 4 or 6 pages total. Front page, local news, world news, weather, sports, comics. Maybe a page devoted to each.

20 years ago it was easily double that.

7 hours ago, Insp said:

For some weird reason, the Chicago Sun-Times has started regular coverage fo the Chicago Sky WNBA team despite the fact that the Sky has only been in the playoffs four times in its 13-year existence and went deep into those playoffs only once.

Meanwhile, the same newspaper has failed to cover the Windy City Bulls despite that team's making the playoffs this year and it has failed to cover the Chicago Wolves despite that team's outstanding season thus far.  The paper has also failed to cover the Chicago Fire MLS team or the Chicago Mustangs indoor soccer team.  It has also failed to adequately cover the minor league baseball teams in the Chicago area or the indoor football teams around her, not to mention the Chicago Steel junior hockey team.

Why is the historically lackluster Sky team getting regular coverage while all these other teams don't get anything?

Ya, there's no way you aren't a troll.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to the Chicago Sky for bringing hone Chicago’s first Championship in the 2020s.

Joliet native and DePaul graduate Allie Quigley led the Sky with 26, in their 80-74 victory this afternoon.

https://www.wnba.com/game/20211017/PHOCHI/

Cool that they televised all their games over the air this year, hope they do the same next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I care about bad quality basketball as much as I care about sophomore high school soccer.

Says the guy that has posted about it twice in the last 6 hours. 

Beat it, you clown. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

Says the guy that has posted about it twice in the last 6 hours. 

Beat it, you clown. 

Someone here likes the WNBA, you and about a couple dozen folks, lol

Seriously, do you actually enjoy it or do you pretend too because you're woke/please your gf? Lol

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

18 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Someone here likes the WNBA, you and about a couple dozen folks, lol

Seriously, do you actually enjoy it or do you pretend too because you're woke/please your gf? Lol

Dude just stop, you're making yourself look like an idiot. I'm sure there's other that don't enjoy the sport, but they aren't stupid enough to start an argument over it. Let the people enjoy the championship. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1