3/30- Sox at Royals, 1:15 CDT, NBCSC

flavum

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Hey now, the bulls seem to do fine consistently firing coaches while keeping blame on them.

Lol...very true.  That being said, GarPax has put together playoff teams, wheras Hahn is still looking for his first 3rd place finish in 7 years.  At some point, the blame should start being directed at Hahn, especially if the first wave of talent fails.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I suspect the teams may know what to do with the information, which is something besides casting aside any player with non-elite spin rate on his fastball

This is fair. But the Sox could lean into the success lopez has on his slider and curve but it feels like are adamant in making him a 2 seam and change up pitcher.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Statcast thinks it was a slider

It's fooled because his fastball was way higher in velocity last year. It looks like Lopez has lost about the same as Giolito did when he first got here. Don't expect anything from him unless he gets his fastball back. 

Just now, Jake said:

Looking at Lopez's arm action the last few pitches I'll be interested to hear about the status of his elbow postgame

He was flying open something crazy in that last AB.  Would have been lovely if Cooper got off his ass to try and help him out before the damage was done.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Lots of velocity drops throughout the years under the watch of Don Cooper. 

We used to at least get better control. 

This latest group of pitchers with him have all seemed to have traded off stuff while not finding control, so are afraid to throw in some because it gets torched.

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

this might be the earliest I lose interest in a White Sox season.  And there have been high levels of Suck throughout my lifetime.

I'll second that! This FO needs to be fired and the ownership group may as well sell! With the complete failure of this past offseason they are going to lose interest from many long time loyal fans. Face it they blew their chance!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Looking at Lopez's arm action the last few pitches I'll be interested to hear about the status of his elbow postgame

Yeah, I think he might be injured. idk if it is elbow or shoulder. Hopefully elbow, because those are easier to gain previous level of performance. Chalk another one up to injury. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's fooled because his fastball was way higher in velocity last year. It looks like Lopez has lost about the same as Giolito did when he first got here. Don't expect anything from him unless he gets his fastball back. 

Dude, it’s one fucking start, stop making ridiculous conclusions off of it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

That's not what I said, but I knew that strawman was coming. I was responding to a post about velo being down.

I already checked, Junis's normal fastball range last year was 91-93 with a 91.8 average and he hit 92.9 in the 2nd inning. So literally, Jakob Junis's velocity is not down. It is right where his overall 2018 season average was.

Why is his velocity unaffected by conditions where the White Sox's pitcher's velocity is affected?

Just now, soxfan3530 said:

Whoof. Eloy took his sweet time getting that ball in.

His lateral quickness is very bad. Ideally he would be a DH but it’s fine to see if he can be serviceable in LF.  I see no way he could handle 1B as some have suggested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude, it’s one fucking start, stop making ridiculous conclusions off of it.

Read. The. Fucking. Article. 

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/velocity-pitch-mix-changes-opening-day/

Posted by Fangraphs:

If any stat can be monitored with a small sample, it’s pitch velocity. Fastball velocity stabilized with a sample of ‘1’. Just one fastball is enough to know a pitcher’s velocity going forward. I collected the Opening Day starters’ fastball velocities and compared them to last year’s values. It’s all we can really do at this point in the season.

Edited by Jack Parkman