3/30- Sox at Royals, 1:15 CDT, NBCSC

flavum

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I already checked, Junis's normal fastball range last year was 91-93 with a 91.8 average and he hit 92.9 in the 2nd inning. So literally, Jakob Junis's velocity is not down. It is right where his overall 2018 season average was.

Why is his velocity unaffected by conditions where the White Sox's pitcher's velocity is affected?

So because he hit 92.9 on one pitch in the 2nd inning, his overall fastball velocity is at last season's average?

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I'll second that! This FO needs to be fired and the ownership group may as well sell! With the complete failure of this past offseason they are going to lose interest from many long time loyal fans. Face it they blew their chance!

This is what tanking looks like. Better get used to it. It ain't ending anytime soon. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

So because he hit 92.9 on one pitch in the 2nd inning, his overall fastball velocity is at last season's average?

I added up his first 30 fastballs today, his fastball average today is 91.5. His average last year was 91.8. Ergo I conclude that you can totally be ok with a 0.3 mph drop in Lopez's fastball today based on the standard you just set.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Read. The. Fucking. Article. 

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/velocity-pitch-mix-changes-opening-day/

Posted by Fangraphs:

If any stat can be monitored with a small sample, it’s pitch velocity. Fastball velocity stabilized with a sample of ‘1’. Just one fastball is enough to know a pitcher’s velocity going forward. I collected the Opening Day starters’ fastball velocities and compared them to last year’s values. It’s all we can really do at this point in the season.

For god’s sake can we stop using Fangraphs as the end all be all and use some critical thinking.  It’s 35 degrees and we’ve seen subpar velocity games in the past from Lopez in similar conditions.  There is absolutely zero reason to panic that he suddenly lost the velocity on fastball.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I already checked, Junis's normal fastball range last year was 91-93 with a 91.8 average and he hit 92.9 in the 2nd inning. So literally, Jakob Junis's velocity is not down. It is right where his overall 2018 season average was.

Why is his velocity unaffected by conditions where the White Sox's pitcher's velocity is affected?

Come on dude, not all guys react the same way to cold temperatures.  Stop making everything so black and right.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I added up his first 30 fastballs today, his fastball average today is 91.5. His average last year was 91.8. Ergo I conclude that you can totally be ok with a 0.3 mph drop in Lopez's fastball today based on the standard you just set.

I stand corrected on Junis' velocity drop. But I still don't think that anyone should be freaking out on Lopez averaging ~93 on a 39 degree day in March. As @Jake recently posted, he had a ton of weird fluctuations in velocity early last season too. The sample size is far too small 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For god’s sake can we stop using Fangraphs as the end all be all and use some critical thinking.  It’s 35 degrees and we’ve seen subpar velocity games in the past from Lopez in similar conditions.  There is absolutely zero reason to panic that he suddenly lost the velocity on fastball.

They're the definition of using critical thinking so idk what you're asking for. They do the research so we don't have to. 

There is a reason why people who work there get hired by MLB teams.

Fangraphs is the closest to MLB level info that the fans have so I think it is stupid to not use it. I think it is funny that we were just complaining about the Sox not using data and then someone uses data and you complain because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I stand corrected on Junis' velocity drop. But I still don't think that anyone should be freaking out on Lopez averaging ~93 on a 39 degree day in March. As @Jake recently posted, he had a ton of weird fluctuations in velocity early last season too. The sample size is far too small 

Now that we're past the BS we can get onto the main point. This isn't normal. It doesn't mean that the guy is hurt, but you should start saying "Hey wait a minute, why do our guys have this issue, this is something we need to work on".

We know Lopez has had a lot of velocity fluctuation before and I'll also add that the average pitcher gains about 1mph over the course of the season with the lowest velo at the beginning of the year and a peak around July. Speaking from memory of my project in a graduate statistics course