3/30- Sox at Royals, 1:15 CDT, NBCSC

flavum

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not mad at palka - he is awful and wont get better. I have said countless times he has no business being on a big league roster. Anywhere.

Tim frustrates me. I am a huge anderson fan but the focus has to improve. Tim missing the throw home, and not being far enough out to get the cut off and making the errors in game 1 just arent ok. He has the talent - he has shown it. It is all on him to keep the focus.

Left field really doesnt have much difficulty to it. Eloy isnt any worse than manny, Carlos Lee, etc etc. You can be a bum and play their if your bat plays up. 

Problem is leury is not a + cfer and he's surrounded by two bad outfielders. Right field matters. They need to get rid of palka.

Palka deserves a chance to play.  Tighten your diapers and chill out for a while. 

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

Palka deserves a chance to play.  Tighten your diapers and chill out for a while. 

He's a  massive liablilty in RF, to say the least. He's too detrimental to the pitching staff to start in the OF. Palka is either a DH or not startable. With Alonso here, he has no spot. Jimenez is going to be the long-term DH so there isn't really any room for him here anyway. I don't think anyone is giving the Sox anything in trade for Palka. There really is no shame in cutting bait. Most of the problem that people had with Alonso, was him displacing Palka. It would have been worth it had they landed that 3B that plays in San Diego, but they didn't so now they have to deal with the consequences of that decision. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

I agree 100%. God do people overreact to one or two games. His bat will come around. Are our memories so short that we have forgotten all his clutch home runs last year? His defense will get better.  With what he did with his bat last year, he deserves a chance to play. 

It's Yonder Alonso who shouldn't be on the team and should be Palka DHing. But we're stuck with Yonder and Avi is gone, so we have to be patient. That you guys want to dump Palka or send him down is so short sighted and just an emotional reaction. 

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree 100%. God do people overreact to one or two games. His bat will come around. Are our memories so short that we have forgotten all his clutch home runs last year? His defense will get better.  With what he did with his bat last year, he deserves a chance to play. 

It's Yonder Alonso who shouldn't be on the team and should be Palka DHing. But we're stuck with Yonder and Avi is gone, so we have to be patient. That you guys want to dump Palka or send him down is so short sighted and just an emotional reaction. 

I agree with the bolded, but they aren't going to waste $9M on Alonso. As long as Alonso is here, there is no room for Palka. His defense sucks and he won't get better. He's a complete butcher in the OF. He's a DH and only a DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's a  massive liablilty in RF, to say the least. He's too detrimental to the pitching staff to start in the OF. Palka is either a DH or not startable. With Alonso here, he has no spot. Jimenez is going to be the long-term DH so there isn't really any room for him here anyway. I don't think anyone is giving the Sox anything in trade for Palka. There really is no shame in cutting bait. Most of the problem that people had with Alonso, was him displacing Palka. It would have been worth it had they landed that 3B that plays in San Diego, but they didn't so now they have to deal with the consequences of that decision. 

I can't say how White Sox it would be to have Palka go off and hit 40 HR as Oakland's next DH next year after the White Sox cut bait with a cheap but suitable DH in order to keep Alonso for a few months because you have to play the expensive vet, leaving the White Sox forced to go out and sign Khris Davis or someone like that as DH next offseason (only to, of course, have his batting average fall below .247 for the first time in recent memory as he suddenly gets old with our roster).

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

We have some reactionary fans. Yolmer has been good and so has Leury(who many seem to already forgotten had an RBI double today), Palka however has always been overrated by White Sox fans. He is just a worse version of Matt Davidson.

And yet we got rid of Davidson and kept Palka.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can't say how White Sox it would be to have Palka go off and hit 40 HR as Oakland's next DH next year after the White Sox cut bait with a cheap but suitable DH in order to keep Alonso for a few months because you have to play the expensive vet, leaving the White Sox forced to go out and sign Khris Davis or someone like that as DH next offseason (only to, of course, have his batting average fall below .247 for the first time in recent memory as he suddenly gets old with our roster).

I'd hope they'd have the cajones to sit Alonso and DH Palka, but it doesn't seem they do. 

What would be "so White Sox" would be for some of the younger players to suck here, the Sox give up on them, everyone gets fired, and the players go figure it out and have a few productive seasons elsewhere. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

We have people here with emotional issues. Palka has worked on his game and has something to contribute. This was not a rash decision. It has become fab to dis power guys unless they are plus OF. They still have a place. We scored six runs today and will win some games.  

1 minute ago, pcq said:

We have people here with emotional issues. Palka has worked on his game and has something to contribute. This was not a rash decision. It has become fab to dis power guys unless they are plus OF. They still have a place. We scored six runs today and will win some games.  

Palka is 27 years old. Has no position. Struck out 153 times In 473 at bats and doesnt walk. 

He is not a major league outfielder and never will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

I wouldn't mind Palka in the OF as much if Jimenez wasn't exclusively a LF. LF is the only position they could hide Palka at. 

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

It doesn't have to be rash for it to be dumb. Palka is in a spot that is poor for him because trading for Manny Machado's buddies will be the thing to convince him to take a $50 million discount. Maybe with experience Palka will get better in RF, but we're not talking about a 21 year old here, we're talking about a guy who will never be a "decent" RF, we can only hope he can get to tolerable. He has a role on this roster, even on a competitive roster, but we put him into a different role because that was our key to getting a huge Machado discount.

Remember Davidson pitching? That's Palka in RF. Davidson is a cheap option for a couple spots,just not good, and if you try to make him a starting pitcher...it won't go well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It doesn't have to be rash for it to be dumb. Palka is in a spot that is poor for him because trading for Manny Machado's buddies will be the thing to convince him to take a $50 million discount. Maybe with experience Palka will get better in RF, but we're not talking about a 21 year old here, we're talking about a guy who will never be a "decent" RF, we can only hope he can get to tolerable. He has a role on this roster, even on a competitive roster, but we put him into a different role because that was our key to getting a huge Machado discount.

Remember Davidson pitching? That's Palka in RF. Davidson is a cheap option for a couple spots,just not good, and if you try to make him a starting pitcher...it won't go well. 

It's rather amazing how our ludicrous ways to get Machado to take a huge discount are going to infect our whole season. It's screwing with Palka. Palka being in the OF screws with the pitching staff. Errors by the OF put us behind and that will screw with the type of ABs our hitters take and who we call out of the bullpen. At some point we're going to be wanting Abreu to get used to the DH slot because he's not a good fielder and he won't want to, so there's even controversy upcoming from this virus. 

Today's loss? Maybe we still lose if we didn't go through that, but you can literally draw a direct line from Manny Machado to this game. So to everyone telling us to get over it - go buy Reynaldo a steak first.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I posted several years ago that Jerry Remy, the Boston color announcer,  commented about this during a really bad defensive showing  by the White Sox in Boston.  He said that as a former infielder, he was amazed that the White Sox do a very limited infield practice before road games. He said most teams do an extensive infield practice especially before the first game to get used to the infield nuances.   He was surprised since Ventura was a former infielder. 

Maybe that has changed under RR. 

I remember that Ventura was insisting / demanding additional practices before games (like big league teams used to do EVERY DAMN DAY back in the day) and it payed off they started playing better fundamentally. I remember Mark Gonzales reporting on it as the Sox beat writer (when the Tribune actually had a Sox beat writer) Then he stopped doing it and I don't recall it happening much since then.

Why Ventura stopped it I don't know, maybe the players b****ed about it?

49 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The throwing error on Anderson did pretty much nothing to affect the score of the game. I’m not sure why you are always so reliant on an inherently subjective statistic 

Doesn't matter, it's ruled an error, ANOTHER one. And there will be times when his mistake DOES matter. Errors aren't the point. It's the overall "baseball-stupidity" of this team / organization going on years now. As others have said, these guys can't field, they throw to the wrong base, catchers can't throw anybody out, they can't hit and run, bunt properly or do the "little things" that add up to winning games.

These are "professionals" not kids straight out of high school. It's damn frustrating and embarrassing.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I personally feel there is enough blame to go around from the players themselves being "baseball-stupid" to the organization teaching them from the minor league level on up to the big club.

I heard a quote last year, "you can't coach stupid out of a player".   Most guys going into the minors have played baseball almost half of their life.  If some things like fundamentals or catching a baseball is not there I don't see how any of that will improve in the minors.   Yet the Sox must think so and evidence doesn't seem to prove that. Then they try guys at different positions to try to fill in the missing piece for the majors.  It's always a fail. Maybe new ownership would change this but then again the new ownership would have to replace people and that takes more work. 

51 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Doesn't matter, it's ruled an error, ANOTHER one. And there will be times when his mistake DOES matter. Errors aren't the point. It's the overall "baseball-stupidity" of this team / organization going on years now. As others have said, these guys can't field, they throw to the wrong base, catchers can't throw anybody out, they can't hit and run, bunt properly or do the "little things" that add up to winning games.

These are "professionals" not kids straight out of high school. It's damn frustrating and embarrassing.  

The best post of anyone i have read in ages, I love the White sox , but  watching them is like watching a high school team, it's like they are soccer and football players trying to play baseball.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

it sure the hell has been boring and depressing being a fan of this team over the last 10 years, to be honest.  Seeing such a horrible, inexcusable offseason playing out on the field should make everyone livid.  Watching Palka have to play RF and screw over the pitchers just because Hahn acquired Alonso is the perfect illustration of why Hahn should be a first-ballot inductee into the Hall of Shame.

Fathom is right about defense. He's totally right. Our front office knew Eloy wasn't dandy defensively so you just can't have Palka out there in rf with Eloy in lf. It'll be one of the worst defensive outfields in a long time (unless of course we want to lose one more year, tanking). I still like our pitching staff and bullpen. Don't like our 2B option or cf option right now. And catcher is disgracefully bad. Oh well, Eloy and Moncada are hitting.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No, but Davidson had talent as a relief pitcher and yet the Sox let him go anyways while keeping the inferior Palka.

For years, everyone here complained we were rushing all of our prospects.  Well, this is what not rushing people looks like.  You’re stuck with Daniel Palka in right field.  Hopefully by the end of the year we will have better options.  I can’t believe I am saying this but I miss Adam Engel.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

For years, everyone here complained we were rushing all of our prospects.  Well, this is what not rushing people looks like.  You’re stuck with Daniel Palka in right field.  Hopefully by the end of the year we will have better options.  I can’t believe I am saying this but I miss Adam Engel.

Yep. Everyone just has to remember this isn't the finished product of the rebuild. Now if people want to say certain coaches should be gone, I totally agree.