Most important thing this big league season...

Dominikk85

...imo is the development of moncada, eloy, giolito and reylo.

Wins are nice but honestly those 4 and maybe Anderson are the only ones currently on the 25 who will be an important piece of the next good team.

If at least 3 out of the 4 turn out good the sox are in a good spot. But if 3 of them fail it will be tough unless the remaining prospects all hit.

Imo thus this year i mostly follow those 4. More wins are better but i would prefer those 4 taking a big step forward and 69 wins rather than 3 of them stagnating, fringe guys like palka, sanchez and cordell stepping up and the sox winning 80.

The development of Moncada & Jimenez are the two most important elements of this season.  Those guys have to be stars for this thing to work.  After that, we need at least one of Lopez (more likely) & Giolito (less likely) to develop in a solid #3 starter.  If both guys bust, that really sets us back.  Rodon also settling in as a dependable #3 type would be helpful as well.  Any further development we get out of Anderson is just gravy IMO.

• Like 1

Any talk about Moncada not being comfortable at 3B seems to have been wrong.  I do not like the stupid games the Sox played in trying to get Machado at less than market value but it could end up being fine in the long run not getting him if Moncada continues his development and Madrigal comes up and is a table setter who can play gold glove caliber 2B.  What a terrific start for Moncada..I know it is just 2 games but his approach has been very encouraging.

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

Any talk about Moncada not being comfortable at 3B seems to have been wrong.  I do not like the stupid games the Sox played in trying to get Machado at less than market value but it could end up being fine in the long run not getting him if Moncada continues his development and Madrigal comes up and is a table setter who can play gold glove caliber 2B.  What a terrific start for Moncada..I know it is just 2 games but his approach has been very encouraging.

My question is who the fuck put a guy who won a Cuban equivalent to a Gold Glove at 3B at 2B?...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The development of Moncada & Jimenez are the two most important elements of this season.  Those guys have to be stars for this thing to work.  After that, we need at least one of Lopez (more likely) & Giolito (less likely) to develop in a solid #3 starter.  If both guys bust, that really sets us back.  Rodon also settling in as a dependable #3 type would be helpful as well.  Any further development we get out of Anderson is just gravy IMO.

Agreed. Anderson is important, but I don't think anyone is looking at him as a key cog in the rebuild. He's a very solid complementary guy, but not a player on the same level/expectation as Eloy/Yoan. If he could be a .250 20/20 guy out of the 8 hole, I think we'd all be able to live with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Agreed. Anderson is important, but I don't think anyone is looking at him as a key cog in the rebuild. He's a very solid complementary guy, but not a player on the same level/expectation as Eloy/Yoan. If he could be a .250 20/20 guy out of the 8 hole, I think we'd all be able to live with that.

Hopefully hits a little better, he's not a Eloy or Moncada ceiling but should hopefully bat around .270-.280 when he's developed

4 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think offensively anderson is what he is, a low on base guy with some pop.

He might be able to improve some defensively as he is a good athlete.

Eh, I slightly disagree with this assessment. I think Anderson can hit for an average of something in the .260s for his career, with a couple .280-.290 seasons thrown in. I think in his peak years, he can be a 30 HR, 80 RBI guy. That definitely has value.

I agree that he will always be a low on base guy. If he walked more, I think he would be the obvious choice for the lead-off spot in the lineup. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.

12 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

My question is who the fuck put a guy who won a Cuban equivalent to a Gold Glove at 3B at 2B?...

The Sox obviously make decisions on the fly based on who they have available to fill a role.  The minute they whiffed on Machado, Moncada became the 3B.  If Machado was signed, Moncada would still be at 2B.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Let's not forget we need a lot more than Moncada, Eloy , and starting pitching.  A few bullpen arms sort of comes in handy in winning many games as was illustrated in the 1st 2 games this season . I don't expect perfection  but maybe we're 1-1 instead of 0-2 if the BP is just good not great instead of mediocre to poor.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's not forget we need a lot more than Moncada, Eloy , and starting pitching.  A few bullpen arms sort of comes in handy in winning many games as was illustrated in the 1st 2 games this season . I don't expect perfection  but maybe we're 1-1 instead of 0-2 if the BP is just good not great instead of mediocre to poor.

Facts. Hamilton really needs to perform. I think Jose Ruiz will be a stud as well. 

17 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

...imo is the development of moncada, eloy, giolito and reylo.

Wins are nice but honestly those 4 and maybe Anderson are the only ones currently on the 25 who will be an important piece of the next good team.

Those are the top prospect guys who need to develop. But they also need some of the non-top prospect young guys to develop...it's high for a "diamond in the rough" or three.

3 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

The Sox obviously make decisions on the fly based on who they have available to fill a role.  The minute they whiffed on Machado, Moncada became the 3B.  If Machado was signed, Moncada would still be at 2B.

Perhaps he should have been at 3B since '16 here

8 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Moncada was always going to be the 3B if they missed on Machado.