Whats the plan, man?

wrathofhahn

So going into the offseason I would have said the plan was to continue to trade and sign stop gaps who could be moved for prospects down the road because imo this roster isn't anywhere close to making the playoffs let alone winning a championship.

However, the FO went hard after Machado and somehwat hard after Harper. So what is the plan moving forward? Are we operating on a shoterned timeline? Are we going to see the FO trade prospects for players and be active in next years FA.

Or are we going to continue to rebuild by trading our remaining assets like Rondon and Sanchez. Or are we going to not make any major moves at all. I thought I knew the plan now I have no idea does anyone who listens to radio tell me what Hahn has been saying?

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

So going into the offseason I would have said the plan was to continue to trade and sign stop gaps who could be moved for prospects down the road because imo this roster isn't anywhere close to making the playoffs let alone winning a championship.

However, the FO went hard after Machado and somehwat hard after Harper. So what is the plan moving forward? Are we operating on a shoterned timeline? Are we going to see the FO trade prospects for players and be active in next years FA.

Or are we going to continue to rebuild by trading our remaining assets like Rondon and Sanchez. Or are we going to not make any major moves at all. I thought I knew the plan now I have no idea does anyone who listens to radio tell me what Hahn has been saying?

The plan will be to flip guys again at the break. Any effective veteran relievers as well as Alonso and Jay and McCann if anybody wants them. I'd guess if we really stink they might trade Abreu. That's my guess. Maybe even trade Palka? If we gel and are in the race, I guess they'll just enjoy that and keep everybody.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

I think Hahn and Kenny screwed up majorly by missing on the big free agents. You're seeing all the great players get locked up early this year. The players that do get to free agency will get signed by the "big market" teams. This rebuild will fall squarely on pieces acquired from trades and the draft. 

Not good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I think Hahn and Kenny screwed up majorly by missing on the big free agents. You're seeing all the great players get locked up early this year. The players that do get to free agency will get signed by the "big market" teams. This rebuild will fall squarely on pieces acquired from trades and the draft. 

Not good. 

The fact that either this FO couldn't see the bolded coming,

OR

that they couldn't convince JR to open the checkbook BECAUSE of this eventuality is a giant turd sandwich that this org will have to chew on for years to come.

Well, that, AND the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to make Machado work is another turd sandwich. But hey, they've got the cash to lock up the as-yet to be vetted "core pieces," right?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

What you are advocating is an awful lot like what the Sox did following the 2004 season when they focused on picking up quality players regardless of how obscure they were.  The end result was winning the World Series.  However, for some strange reason, they dropped that approach and instead tried to get big name players like Adam Dunn and James Shields to say nothing of Harper & Machado.  

One wonders just why the Sox have refused to return to the route that led to the World championship.

In reality there is no plan that is going to work. Most the guys we would want are getting locked up, even Bogaerts is getting an extension already. Not siging Machado or Harper was completely insane for a team in the Sox position. We will not see 26 year olds of that caliber hit the market again during this rebuild. Good new for me is I always pick one of the worst teams in my MLB the Show franchises and the Sox will be in the fray for years to come.

• Like 1

The plan is very simple. This rebuild/tanking is going to be done as cheaply as possible. The Royals went to the World Series twice and they went there cheaply. This ownership is never going to pay $300/$400 million dollars for any free agent.  Hopefully the young players like Moncada,  Anderson, Jimenez  all turn out well and lead the White Sox  to the Playoffs/World Series.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Insp said:

What you are advocating is an awful lot like what the Sox did following the 2004 season when they focused on picking up quality players regardless of how obscure they were.  The end result was winning the World Series.  However, for some strange reason, they dropped that approach and instead tried to get big name players like Adam Dunn and James Shields to say nothing of Harper & Machado.  

One wonders just why the Sox have refused to return to the route that led to the World championship.

Your characterization of 2004’s approach is a bit of an oversimplification. It was a great blend, but a lot of people they acquired happened to have career years (Contreras in particular was a generational outlier in terms of his mid 2005-mid 2006 dominance). A lot of things went right at exactly the same time. The problem with this organization is that everything post luckboxing 2005 is results-oriented. It’s like the White Sox had the hottest run of cards in a poker tournament and became convinced they were a really skilled poker player. 

1) There are thousands of unsold tickets for Opening Day. I wonder if the attendance will be less than 30,000. 2) Has anybody noticed that WGN radio doesn't take phone calls on the post game show? I honestly think they're afraid of taking calls from the White Sox fans.

48 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I'm also confused.. we are still trying to lose right?

If Yolmer could become a team mascot instead of a player - that would appease me for a while at least.

If Moncada is great and we're still terrible, that's fine.  It's annoying we're not winning, but the young guys need to pan out.  If we're not going to be good (and looking at this roster, we're not good), then we need to keep accruing talent.

20 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

This garbage is myopic.  A good draft pick matters.  Period.  Nick Madrigal looks like a good pick.  Would you rather we not have him?

I was being a bit sarcastic but at some point winning is more important than another top 3 draft pick.

And I’d also take Tatis Jr. and Machado in our infield over Madrigal but Hahn blew those decisions.  If you give him credit for a losing record so he could draft Madrigal, don’t forget what he messed up as well.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Cheers to another good draft pick!

Great job, Rick!

🍻🍺🍻

Isn't this the organization that chose Burger with its first pick? Just saying. BTW Madrigal better start upper cutting. You noticed our entire hitting philosophy is HR or strikeout this season? I realize that's most hitters' strategy but still. ...

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering ... considering what somebody was saying about the Sox having pretty much no merchandise in stores and interest at an all time low (or close to an all time low from what u all tell me), is this rebuild worth it? Are we just assuming after one more year of horrid baseball our fans will pack the stadium when we get to be contenders? Remember, even if we rebuild well and "contend," in this day and age of playing everybody in your own division 18 times, it will be difficult for the Sox to run away and hide even when we get good. In other words, will we even ever seem like real contenders until the final week of August/summer and all of September?

I just wondered if it was worth it having our brand fall so far during the rebuild? I'll join Caulfield in really looking at attendance this season. Surely Opening Day won't even be sold out, will it?

23 hours ago, Wanne said:

In hindsight the better signing would have been Adam Jones over Jon Jay...and let Engel do his thang in CF.  

Jon Jay has to be the first projected starter in recent Sox history to have NO FAN wondering how he's doing or when he's ready to get in that lineup. Hyperbole? Not really. OK, maybe Erstad was the last one that people would yawn about more than Jay.

Opening Day weather has been brutal for the last few years. The Snowpener  and the Opening Day rain-out where they let us buy concessions and beer for hours before  calling the game.   After those two experiences I decided that in future years I would wait until warmer weather before going to games. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:20 PM, AustinIllini said:

If Moncada is great and we're still terrible, that's fine.  It's annoying we're not winning, but the young guys need to pan out.  If we're not going to be good (and looking at this roster, we're not good), then we need to keep accruing talent.

If Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, and Eloy do well, losing games will be a lot more tolerable.  It is annoying that they're losing games, especially one like on Monday, but I've already starting looking at the "bright side" of each game.