And that’s a White Sox Winner!

bmags

21 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Big win. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the start of great things. This team is Playoff Bound in this 2019 season.

Ok, but if that happens you're never allowed to accuse Hahn of being an undercover Cubs spy since the 1880s ever again.

The good things today:

Sox actually won a game.

Sox weren't swept by a 104 loss team from a year ago.

It wasn't raining or snowing.

Giolito looked great (who would have thought that?)

Nate Jones didn't pitch so he couldn't give up runs.

35 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Happy for Giolito. Not going to point to one outing as anything super meaningful, but I've been of the opinion that he'll put it together and turn into something for the Sox, so this was good to see. 

The velocity was promising at the very least.  We need to see more before we consider him fixed, but at least there’s reason for optimism with him now.

The more I watched today and this... I think this was done to prevent Lucas from flying open. That was a huge issue for Giolito when he had the arm whip motion going back - it took him off balance and caused his shoulder to fly open. 

This compact delivery seems to be an attempt to streamline his drive towards the plate, maintain his balance, and keep his front side closed. Today it worked, but Giolitos problem - due to changing his mechanics numerous times - will be consistency... but in theory, it should be easier to be consistent with better balance and less moving parts. 

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Giolito looked good though beyond the runs and hits. Only 1 walk, a lot of Ks, good velocity.  And watching him pitch, he really seemed to know what he was doing.

He clearly has the talent to be a good one.  That's why last year was so frustrating.

He was awesome today.  However, the home plate umpire DID have a generous strike zone.

Hopefully we see more of good Lucas, and no more of bad Lucas.