GameThread: White Sox (Nova) @ Indians (Clevinger)

Kyyle23

Just now, JoshPR said:

I think the team sucking those last few years really made hawk suffer

The Sox sucked for most of Hawk's broadcasting tenure. The difference is that Hawk got really cranky about 10 years ago, especially with regard to the umps. Other times, he'd just sulk and not say anything. He also began going overboard with the Hawk-isms around the time they won the WS, to the point where he became something of a caricature of himself. So, yeah, it's hard to be a good announcer when you're so emotionally invested, but Hawk changed a lot as he got older.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I would probably say Sale personally.

Yeah, I hadn't considered pitchers for some reason. Probably because the Sox have been pretty good at developing them for the most part. Position players, not so much. It seems like they didn't develop any between Rowand and Anderson.

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

hawk was much better to listen to than boring benetti

Hawk being a fan of the team is what I miss the most. For Stoney and Benetti, it's a paycheck. Hawk was relatable because he suffered through the same shit we did as fans and you could hear it in his voice. That's not to say Hawk was perfect, but I'd rather have a fan of the team I'm watching announce games. I think that's the one thing from Benetti that I can't quite get used to is how his emotion seems so forced. I like some of the analytics he brings to the game, but I'm not sold on him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hawk being a fan of the team is what I miss the most. For Stoney and Benetti, it's a paycheck. Hawk was relatable because he suffered through the same shit we did as fans and you could hear it in his voice. That's not to say Hawk was perfect, but I'd rather have a fan of the team I'm watching announce games. I think that's the one thing from Benetti that I can't quite get used to is how his emotion seems so forced. I like some of the analytics he brings to the game, but I'm not sold on him. 

Home announcers should be homers. Hawk was right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2