GameThread: White Sox (Nova) @ Indians (Clevinger)

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

are you serious?  among other things he absolutely dominated the DWL two years running and that is usually seen as AAAA level pitching with plenty of junk ballers.  His hands and hips are incredibly fast to the ball and produce easy, light tower power.  

he's struggling with MLB quality breaking balls, in part because he's getting behind in the count after fouling off hittable fastballs.  He'll be alright.  

Hope you're right but in the video of him smashing the light, I don't recall his stance being so coiled up.

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

They should make another sector for game threads and keep them in date order regardless of recent post. The game threads can be one like this thread that includes pre-game, in-game, and post game comments all in one thread. The date should be included in the subject. At the end of the season there should be (in date order)162 threads for regular season, plus maybe the all-star game,plus the spring training games,plus hopefully the postseason when the Sox make the playoffs. =)

Something like this? 

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-archives/

This game was lost when they pitched Colome and Herrera when the game was lost on Saturday. Renteria's bullpen management blows. Why the hell was Covey pitching in a key pressure situation? He's there to be a long reliever, not a set up man. Surely if Herrera is not ready to go, then you put out Jones or haul out Herrera for a 3rd day knowing he has a rest day on Tuesday. I get that he tried to put out Fry and Frare and they let him down but Covey was not the answer. I hope we don't see Renteria in charge when this team is ready to compete.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, glangon said:

This game was lost when they pitched Colome and Herrera when the game was lost on Saturday. Renteria's bullpen management blows. Why the hell was Covey pitching in a key pressure situation? He's there to be a long reliever, not a set up man. Surely if Herrera is not ready to go, then you put out Jones or haul out Herrera for a 3rd day knowing he has a rest day on Tuesday. I get that he tried to put out Fry and Frare and they let him down but Covey was not the answer. I hope we don't see Renteria in charge when this team is ready to compete.

I can see why they used Covey. The saw him as a starter last year, not so good. They need to know if he can be a high leverage reliever for next year. This is still a rebuilding year with this roster. They need to determine who will be on the team and in which roles for next year. Expect to see other young pitchers in high leverage situations as the season goes on. Herrera and Colome will get most of them but young pitchers will get their share.

If you're not supposed to pitch Covey, why have him on the roster? There was a good point made earlier, the game was probably lost on Saturday when they used Herrera and Colome, making Herrera was unavailable, so Renteria, who I am no fan of, was stuck. He brought in Fry who many here have said is basically elite. He was bad.  If he brought in Jones, everyone would have complained. I don't know how many times I have read on this board Covey may make a pretty good reliever. Well, not yesterday, but they aren't contending for a WS so it's worth a try to see what you have. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

can see why they used Covey. The saw him as a starter last year, not so good. They need to know if he can be a high leverage reliever for next year. This is still a rebuilding year with this roster. They need to determine who will be on the team and in which roles for next year. Expect to see other young pitchers in high leverage situations as the season goes on. Herrera and Colome will get most of them but young pitchers will get their share.

If we don't build an attitude of winning then this experiment is no good. For a team to purposely throw in pitchers that are not ready for situations or just aren't good enough will lose games and lose chemistry and everything else that pertains to the good of this franchise. Once again I'm confused why we took out Nova when he was rolling. I can't go here yet, but the thought crossed my mind that someone in the organization is trying to lose, that would be terrible for this organization.  

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Covey has been on the team for years and has never been proven to be dependable.

"Never proven to be dependable" is a good description of 80% of the White Sox's current roster and probably 75% of the players who have played for Rick Hahn, total, over the last 6+ years. 

If you want guys to be dependable you have to work them at some point. And like it or not, putting Covey in yesterday wasn't the set of moves that will make them lose games - it was the $44 million spent on dreck last offseason, and the sacrificing of several years to come in order to build the strong 2015 and 2016 rosters. 

• Like 1

Still have to disagree, it was a bonehead move that cost us the game. If Renteria wants to be here for the rebuild and the winning, which I think he can, I think he's a great manager, he is going to have to instill the character of winning.  The Sox look off this year, especially defensively, hitting is starting off lackluster, and now managerial moves look suspect. Now is the time for change. I can bet people are against us, they want this team to move to Vegas or another city. Now is the time to build a dynasty.

53 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

If we don't build an attitude of winning then this experiment is no good. For a team to purposely throw in pitchers that are not ready for situations or just aren't good enough will lose games and lose chemistry and everything else that pertains to the good of this franchise. Once again I'm confused why we took out Nova when he was rolling. I can't go here yet, but the thought crossed my mind that someone in the organization is trying to lose, that would be terrible for this organization.  

They took out Nova because he was at 93 pitches in his first start of the year. All teams needs to find out what they have in their players. They need to put players in high leverage situations to see what player thrive and which ones flop. They aren't trying to lose, the lack if talent on the team will take care of that, they are trying to see who can fill which roles. They can't run Herrera and Colome out there every game and they can't let pitchers sit inactive to long. All teams go through their rosters early in the season to get the players into the season.

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

You know if Yolmer catches the ball it might be a totally different outcome for Covey

Yeah I don't know how people could blame anyone but Yolmer for yesterday's loss. The complexion of the inning is totally different if he makes that play. Covey might have been able to get out of a bases loaded, 2 out situation. Instead Yolmer botched an easy play like a little leaguer and the floodgates opened. I'm not a huge Covey fan but I don't think he was at fault for yesterday.

15 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Yeah I don't know how people could blame anyone but Yolmer for yesterday's loss. The complexion of the inning is totally different if he makes that play. Covey might have been able to get out of a bases loaded, 2 out situation. Instead Yolmer botched an easy play like a little leaguer and the floodgates opened. I'm not a huge Covey fan but I don't think he was at fault for yesterday.

You blame Fry for the lead off walk and giving up the double to Bauer

You blame Covey who with the bases loaded (after the Sanchez error) gave up a hit to Moroff and then walks Perez. (The game was still 3-2 to the White Sox after the Sanchez error (who was at fault.)

You blame Renteria for choosing to go with Colome and Herrera on Saturday (when the Sox were behind, rather than Covey)

You blame Renteria for bringing in Covey to a high leverage situation instead of Jones or Burr.

You absolutely feel sorry for Nova who pitched a helluva game and did not deserve what happened in the 8th.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, glangon said:

You blame Fry for the lead off walk and giving up the double to Bauer

You blame Covey who with the bases loaded (after the Sanchez error) gave up a hit to Moroff and then walks Perez. (The game was still 3-2 to the White Sox after the Sanchez error (who was at fault.)

You blame Renteria for choosing to go with Colome and Herrera on Saturday (when the Sox were behind, rather than Covey)

You blame Renteria for bringing in Covey to a high leverage situation instead of Jones or Burr.

You absolutely feel sorry for Nova who pitched a helluva game and did not deserve what happened in the 8th.

You also blame Angel Hernandez for blowing the call at first

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is ridiculous. All we can do is blame players like Soto, Acuna, Benintendi, Torres, etc, who came up and lit the world on fire immediately. Tatis is doing it already this season. I guess the gripe is that all other team's top prospects are MLB ready, and it is only the Sox guys who are initially struggling, where the rest of the league's top prospects aren't going through the classic growing pains. 

Look at where all those guys played.....warm weather!!!