Jump to content
Kyyle23

GameThread: White Sox (Nova) @ Indians (Clevinger)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its April on a team trying to evaluate players.

Your insistence on only pitching 2 relievers - the veterans - because winning is all that matters to you is short sighted and not how a rebuilding team should handle business. They are evaluating guys. Covey sucks, sure but he's on the team transitioning to reliever. He's a GROUND BALL pitcher with a heavy sinker and they neeDed a ground ball. It makes sense.

Fact is he pitched the young guys that inning and they sucked. 

Getting mad at the manager for pitching guys available to him when his two best arms pitched 2 days in a row is crazy imo. 

I’m annoyed that he pitched Herrera down 2 and up 4 and then couldn’t use him when leading by 2. Again, I don’t care about wins or losses. What I do care about is the manager not making foolish decision after foolish decision every game (and knowing that he has job security we could only dream of).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fathom said:

We’re an awful team with similar talent compared to last year’s awful team.

 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

His bat speed looks fine to me.  He's just fouling off fastballs he should be putting in play and is struggling to adjust, like most, to MLB quality breaking pitches.   Give him 500 PA before making any big conclusions.

And you could argue it should be 1000-1500 PA.  Long, long way to go.

Plus, he is behind in the count practically every at bat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, the reactionaries/trolls were out in full force about 5 games into the season when Moncada was hitting .154/.267/.308. About 2 weeks later he was at .271/.364/.552. Not surprised to see similar accounts complaining about Eloy, and I won't be surprised a couple weeks from now when they'll be looking foolish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m annoyed that he pitched Herrera down 2 and up 4 and then couldn’t use him when leading by 2. Again, I don’t care about wins or losses. What I do care about is the manager not making foolish decision after foolish decision every game (and knowing that he has job security we could only dream of).

If the bad guys are so bad, he'll be pitching in after they blow the 4 run lead.

Guys, coaches don't win and lose the vast majority of baseball games. Hitting coaches... jeeze dont even get me started. Next to impactless. If a hitting coach can turn around 1 hitter in a few year period he's worth it.

The insistence on blaming coaches on this website is just maddening. 

Covey was clearly brought in to get a ground ball. It's not as if Rick just spun a wheel. It's not as if he had covey starting the inning..he brought him in for a specific reasons and his plus defensive 2nd baseman dropped an easy line drive. 

The Sox lost because the bullpen has been terrible. Not because of Rick renteria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Moncada said:

So pitch anyone else other then the worst pitcher in the pen that has never pitched late in a game 

But that's not what you said . You were talking about Colome and Herrera. Everyone dumps on relief pitchers who blow games, I get it , But this isn't a good team and like it or not we are going to blow games. Fry didn't exactly set the world on fire either . It's also difficult to label Covey as the worst reliever in the pen this early in the season. He's given up 1 earned  run so far in 2 appearances. If we are looking at SSS then Banuelos, Burr, Jones and Fry are the worst pitchers in the BP. It's not like he has a bunch of Chapmans out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Francona makes the mistake of taking out Clevinger, then Renteria sees Franconas mistake and makes makes the same mistake. Pitchers used to pitch 400 innings. Taking out a pitcher that is rolling sets low his confidence, and ruins the momentum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanchez with another key error on a line drive and a feeble fly out in our last at bat.  I'm done with that clown.

A very disheartening loss at the beginning of the season.  Yea, go get 'em tomorrow as Benneti said,  you know, when the Sox are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Last year, the reactionaries/trolls were out in full force about 5 games into the season when Moncada was hitting .154/.267/.308. About 2 weeks later he was at .271/.364/.552. Not surprised to see similar accounts complaining about Eloy, and I won't be surprised a couple weeks from now when they'll be looking foolish 

By the end of last year the people complaining about Moncada were 100% correct. He was a waste of a roster space last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first of many blown games by this awful bullpen. And Rick said this team will be better this season even without Harper/Machado.

We'll see...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soxbears2001 said:

 

By the end of last year the people complaining about Moncada were 100% correct. He was a waste of a roster space last season.

If we had a roster of 2 fWAR players at age 22/23 this rebuild would be going a helluva lot better.   Moncada is a huge break out candidate this year because of the experience he gained at the MLB level last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For awhile I would like to see:

Palka platooned with Cordell 

Rondon start at second

Covey used in long relief only

Jones used for 6th or 7th before any base runners are on

Colome & Herrera used to cover 8th & 9th when important game is on the line

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You gotta wonder if Yolmer relaxed this offseason knowing for the first time in his career has was all but guaranteed a 25 man spot.  He looks completely unready to play in all facets.  I don't think he relaxed too much with a wife and kids at home but he's obviously not all with it mentally that error today was incredible.  A soft looping line drive and he completely misjudges it.  Similar to the double play ball he whiffed on against the Royals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

bat speed? Do you mean timing? Because questioning Eloy's bat speed would be a nuclear hot  take.

Nuclear hot take or not, Eloy doesn't look like a guy who is ready for major league pitching. I admit to not having seen him at the plate over last year or so but that batting stance just  looks unnatural. He seems all coiled up and tense. He's gonna struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You gotta wonder if Yolmer relaxed this offseason knowing for the first time in his career has was all but guaranteed a 25 man spot.  He looks completely unready to play in all facets.  I don't think he relaxed too much with a wife and kids at home but he's obviously not all with it mentally that error today was incredible.  A soft looping line drive and he completely misjudges it.  Similar to the double play ball he whiffed on against the Royals.

Looks too muscular and trying to become a power hitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flash said:

Nuclear hot take or not, Eloy doesn't look like a guy who is ready for major league pitching. I admit to not having seen him at the plate over last year or so but that batting stance just  looks unnatural. He seems all coiled up and tense. He's gonna struggle.

That's the stance that has allowed him to become one of the best hitting prospects in all of baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flash said:

Nuclear hot take or not, Eloy doesn't look like a guy who is ready for major league pitching. I admit to not having seen him at the plate over last year or so but that batting stance just  looks unnatural. He seems all coiled up and tense. He's gonna struggle.

He will be fine. His swing naturally looks slow as he drives the ball the opposite way just as effectively as he pulls it.  There were times last year where he went into a mini slump and all of a sudden looked like Manny Ramirez again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If we had a roster of 2 fWAR players at age 22/23 this rebuild would be going a helluva lot better.   Moncada is a huge break out candidate this year because of the experience he gained at the MLB level last year.

The board is so full of baseball stupid now it's hard to imagine Cubs fans being so reactionary and idiotic. Yolmer was another 2.0 WAR guy and look at all the venom spewed at him today.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flash said:

Nuclear hot take or not, Eloy doesn't look like a guy who is ready for major league pitching. I admit to not having seen him at the plate over last year or so but that batting stance just  looks unnatural. He seems all coiled up and tense. He's gonna struggle.

are you serious?  among other things he absolutely dominated the DWL two years running and that is usually seen as AAAA level pitching with plenty of junk ballers.  His hands and hips are incredibly fast to the ball and produce easy, light tower power.  

he's struggling with MLB quality breaking balls, in part because he's getting behind in the count after fouling off hittable fastballs.  He'll be alright.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DirtySox said:

That's the stance that has allowed him to become one of the best hitting prospects in all of baseball.

Soxtalk coaching would make him the best pitching prospect as well. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The board is so full of baseball stupid now it's hard to imagine Cubs fans being so reactionary and idiotic. Yolmer was another 2.0 WAR guy and look at all the venom spewed at him today.

I don't mind Yolmer, was a huge fan of his as a prospect but I get the vitriol towards him because he's a symbol of the offseason failure.  He should be a bench guy, but instead he's starting again.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't mind Yolmer, was a huge fan of his as a prospect but I get the vitriol towards him because he's a symbol of the offseason failure.  He should be a bench guy, but instead he's starting again.

Not enough love emojis in the world for this post

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The first of many blown games by this awful bullpen. And Rick said this team will be better this season even without Harper/Machado.

We'll see...but I wouldn't bet on it.

All the games so far have been competitive. The BP hasn't pitched well and the defense has sucked but there are positives. Focus on them instead because we are a bad team but it's just another brick in the wall we are hopefully building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The board is so full of baseball stupid now it's hard to imagine Cubs fans being so reactionary and idiotic. Yolmer was another 2.0 WAR guy and look at all the venom spewed at him today.

He made two mistakes in early games on a 90+ loss team. His name shall live on in infamy, just like Bill Buckner or Tony Fernandez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×