GameThread: White Sox (Nova) @ Indians (Clevinger)

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I understand your point completely, but command of off-speed stuff is frequently lesser than command of fastballs - there are obviously exceptions. And Palka isn't dangerous enough to avoid throwing him any pitch, so rather than walk a bad baseball player you may go with the pitch you have the most command with. Guys in front of good hitters factually see more fastballs. My issue with batting Palka second is he blows, and you're giving the second most at bats in the game to a guy who sucks.

Can you point to where this is? I've never seen this proven. The only thing I remember is Jeff Sullivan looking at Miguel Cabrera's season post Prince Fielder and finding his FB% decline.

Just now, bmags said:

Can you point to where this is? I've never seen this proven. The only thing I remember is Jeff Sullivan looking at Miguel Cabrera's season post Prince Fielder and finding his FB% decline.

I believe the conclusion Smart Baseball came to was that it might change the shape of someone’s production, but there’s rarely ever an increase

Just now, Moncada said:

Just for those interested in watching the game, it should be televised NATIONALLY on ESPN.  Big time audience to watch, who do we have, Nova......

More worried about outfield keystone cop scenarios than Nova.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dusty Baker, Mike Matheny, Mike Scoscia, and Joe Maddon were all managing when he was hired, and although none are Latin, they all speak Spanish fluently. 

He meant Latino managers with initials of R.R. and who also manage in cities that begin with a C and end in an O. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I dont think I can post my entire database here, but the theory is as this.

#2 hitters see more fastballs for a multitude of reasons. 1 being, the lead off spot has the most stolen base attempts than any other line up spot by nearly 100%. The threat of the stolen base leads to more fastballs seen for the #2 hitter. Two, people don't like walking a guy in front of a power hitter and two hitters tend to possess less power than others - in the past couple years though, this is changing as guys begin to put power hitters in that slot. Guys will less power see more fastballs - in general - than guys with less power. 

I tried searching out a publically accessible report on this but all I could find is a Cameron article in which he references my points above. Cameron discusses why hitting in front of a power hitter leads to more fastballs in this series if you read the other ones and the one I am linking

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2-hitters/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He meant Latino managers with initials of R.R. and who also manage in cities that begin with a C and end in an O. 

Nah the article stated Latin manager who spoke Spanish. I was wrong and he was right. Won't be the last time I'm wrong or misinformed that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I dont think I can post my entire database here, but the theory is as this.

#2 hitters see more fastballs for a multitude of reasons. 1 being, the lead off spot has the most stolen base attempts than any other line up spot by nearly 100%. The threat of the stolen base leads to more fastballs seen for the #2 hitter. Two, people don't like walking a guy in front of a power hitter and two hitters tend to possess less power than others - in the past couple years though, this is changing as guys begin to put power hitters in that slot. Guys will less power see more fastballs - in general - than guys with less power. 

I tried searching out a publically accessible report on this but all I could find is a Cameron article in which he references my points above. Cameron discusses why hitting in front of a power hitter leads to more fastballs in this series if you read the other ones and the one I am linking

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2-hitters/

Thanks so it's not necessarily hitting in front of a good hitter, it's the profile of #2 hitters and challenging hitters who cannot punish you as much in the zone.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thanks so it's not necessarily hitting in front of a good hitter, it's the profile of #2 hitters and challenging hitters who cannot punish you as much in the zone.

Yeah, hitter profile definitely matters. Like Josh Donaldson saw more off speed pitches than the three hitters when they were batting him second. Just because you hit second doesn't mean you're guaranteed it, but because of the stolen base threat, the typical profile of a 2 hitter, and the threat of the hitter behind him they tend to see more. 

I find it interesting that Dave asked back then why more teams don't put a better hitter In the two hole and since then we have seen a mini evolution of this which has led the data to normalize a bit but in the case of someone like Palka (who's bad) hitting behind moncada (who is a SB threat) and in front of Abreu (who's good) I imagine he would see more fastballs despite his power but I dont think it really matters for him because he's bad.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have the same attitude towards Yolmer and I know it isn't fair. It isn't like he is horrible. He is average, sometimes slightly above and many times, slightly below. It's just what he represents that sours me. He is considered a White Sox developmental success story, and he is at best average. I get he dumps water on himself, but any other team, he's just some guy with a good sense of humor. The other thing he now represents is Machado failure. So every time he steps up, I am reminded how the Sox couldn't afford to build a winner when JR is 92 or 93 so they had to come in second for Machado. 

• Like 1