GameThread: White Sox (Nova) @ Indians (Clevinger)

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't mind Yolmer, was a huge fan of his as a prospect but I get the vitriol towards him because he's a symbol of the offseason failure.  He should be a bench guy, but instead he's starting again.

Bingo.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

He made two mistakes in early games on a 90+ loss team. His name shall live on in infamy, just like Bill Buckner or Tony Fernandez.

To be fair, 3 errors now as well as failing 3 times in the 9th inning as the tying or go-ahead run.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

RV and RR manage the bullpen on hope.  Well, shit in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up fastest.  It's fucking April, you can burn through some innings with your late inning guys and get them rest later if need be.

Blind hope is not strategy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

He will be fine. His swing naturally looks slow as he drives the ball the opposite way just as effectively as he pulls it.  There were times last year where he went into a mini slump and all of a sudden looked like Manny Ramirez again.

Why would his swing look slow because he drives the ball the other way? 

He starts his swing later but his swing certainly doesnt look slow. He has elite level bat speed. His swing never looks slow. Maybe I'm just reading what you're saying incorrectly too.

He's in between right now. It's a timing issue right now, not a swing velocity issue.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would his swing look slow because he drives the ball the other way? 

He starts his swing later but his swing certainly doesnt look slow. He has elite level bat speed. His swing never looks slow. Maybe I'm just reading what you're saying incorrectly too.

He's in between right now. It's a timing issue right now, not a swing velocity issue.

People assume a swing is behind if someone hits it the opposite way. He does it by choice, not cause he’s late. Was never saying it’s actually a slow swing.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All the games so far have been competitive. The BP hasn't pitched well and the defense has sucked but there are positives. Focus on them instead because we are a bad team but it's just another brick in the wall we are hopefully building.

Most baseball games are competitive. And we played the Royals and a spiraling Tribe team. I think most people know we are gonna suck but people just need hope. I think watching Yoan and Gio has given us a smidgen of hope. The reality is though, if we are not good next year most fans will mentally check out until this team shows it can win games. See the Bears and Bulls for examples. 

I would love Yolmer if he were used correctly as a super utility type player but on this dumbass team he's an everyday guy so I'm forced to hate him.  It's much like my Nick Madgrigal hate.  If he were a 2-3 round pick I'd like him but 4th overall makes me absolutely furious.  Great.  Now I'm pissed again. 

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All the games so far have been competitive. The BP hasn't pitched well and the defense has sucked but there are positives. Focus on them instead because we are a bad team but it's just another brick in the wall we are hopefully building.

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But that's not what you said . You were talking about Colome and Herrera. Everyone dumps on relief pitchers who blow games, I get it , But this isn't a good team and like it or not we are going to blow games. Fry didn't exactly set the world on fire either . It's also difficult to label Covey as the worst reliever in the pen this early in the season. He's given up 1 earned  run so far in 2 appearances. If we are looking at SSS then Banuelos, Burr, Jones and Fry are the worst pitchers in the BP. It's not like he has a bunch of Chapmans out there.

He came into the season the worst and will remain the worst until he shows something, anything.  He is only good to mop up innings in a lost game and why is that?  Bc it's a lost game.  

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The board is so full of baseball stupid now it's hard to imagine Cubs fans being so reactionary and idiotic. Yolmer was another 2.0 WAR guy and look at all the venom spewed at him today.

Dude he missed an easy catch. And I like Yolmer. But what the hell

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

RV and RR manage the bullpen on hope.  Well, shit in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up fastest.  It's fucking April, you can burn through some innings with your late inning guys and get them rest later if need be.

Blind hope is not strategy.

We got 4 off days in what the first  2 and half weeks 

2 minutes ago, Moncada said:

We got 4 off days in what the first  2 and half weeks 

Haven't really seen during his tenure that Ricky knows what high leverage innings are.  At times it feels like he's tanking.

As for the start, really it's about what was expected outside of the nice start from Nova.  Team has mediocre SP at best, a god awful defense, and solid lineup and a mediocre at best pen.  All is going to add up to around 75 wins.  Could have squinted and seen 80+ with Machado, that's the rub.

Also: let's keep these threads open or make a postgamer win or loss.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

49 minutes ago, Soxbears2001 said:

By the end of last year the people complaining about Moncada were 100% correct. He was a waste of a roster space last season.

Ugh.  This is so ridiculous.  Why would anyone expect a 21 year old rookie to be a finished product?  Maybe being on the roster all year last year will help him be better this year, and in the future.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Ugh.  This is so ridiculous.  Why would anyone expect a 21 year old rookie to be a finished product?  Maybe being on the roster all year last year will help him be better this year, and in the future.  

If nothing else he got 650 big league PA last year.   He's almost 24 this could be his breakout year.  You could count on one hand the amount of times he showed pull power (I like how he went and got it and turned it around, he is a talented athlete when he's focused with elite hand eye) against lefties last year so if he can keep that up somewhat he's going to be a much better player long term.  Needs to get that OPS up around 700-750 against LHP and then around 880 against RHP long term.

Kid has flashed quite a bit this year if you didn't know anything about him or the Sox you'd easily think he's our best player.  Keep it up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

It is ridiculous. All we can do is blame players like Soto, Acuna, Benintendi, Torres, etc, who came up and lit the world on fire immediately. Tatis is doing it already this season. I guess the gripe is that all other team's top prospects are MLB ready, and it is only the Sox guys who are initially struggling, where the rest of the league's top prospects aren't going through the classic growing pains. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is ridiculous. All we can do is blame players like Soto, Acuna, Benintendi, Torres, etc, who came up and lit the world on fire immediately. Tatis is doing it already this season. I guess the gripe is that all other team's top prospects are MLB ready, and it is only the Sox guys who are initially struggling, where the Sox guys are going through the classic growing pains. 

Tatis jr is hitting .214 currently. Don't think we can say he is lighting the world on fire yet. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Haven't really seen during his tenure that Ricky knows what high leverage innings are.  At times it feels like he's tanking.

As for the start, really it's about what was expected outside of the nice start from Nova.  Team has mediocre SP at best, a god awful defense, and solid lineup and a mediocre at best pen.  All is going to add up to around 75 wins.  Could have squinted and seen 80+ with Machado, that's the rub.

This sure does seem to be the case.  Renteria will throw in any scrub reliever regardless of the situation.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They should make another sector for game threads and keep them in date order regardless of recent post. The game threads can be one like this thread that includes pre-game, in-game, and post game comments all in one thread. The date should be included in the subject. At the end of the season there should be (in date order)162 threads for regular season, plus maybe the all-star game,plus the spring training games,plus hopefully the postseason when the Sox make the playoffs. =)

Edited by Chisox378
  • Love 1