Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

Cubs clearly goofed not really signing anyone in the offseason but given Theo's track record with free agents not sure it would have helped anyway. It's his misses in free agency that have caused them to not have any more money left to spend to upgrade the roster.

21 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Jon Lester is  one of the best free agent signings in Chicago sports history no matter what happens the last two years of his deal.  But nearly every other major FA signing Theo has made turned into complete crap, other than Zobrist.

Truth. On the other hand, it would be glorious if the Brewers sweep the Cubs this weekend and they're 8 games out of first place by their home opener. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

Cubs clearly goofed not really signing anyone in the offseason but given Theo's track record with free agents not sure it would have helped anyway. It's his misses in free agency that have caused them to not have any more money left to spend to upgrade the roster.

The made a very odd choice when the blew the whole thing up in 2012 to go for only fielding talent.  That farm system has been comically horrible at developing pitching talent under Epstein.  They knew they were going to have to sign pitchers but man they could benefit from any performance from some home grown guys.

20 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

The made a very odd choice when the blew the whole thing up in 2012 to go for only fielding talent.  That farm system has been comically horrible at developing pitching talent under Epstein.  They knew they were going to have to sign pitchers but man they could benefit from any performance from some home grown guys.

Yeah I believe the only homegrown innings by any pitcher drafted under Theo has been the 34.2 Innings thrown by Rob Zastryzny.

Amazing the Cubs only got one WS title out of their tank/rebuild. Man, if they weren't so hot that one year. Just think if they had missed out on the 2016 title; that long stretch of jinx would still be talked about.

This season is not even 10 games old. The standings, league-wide, will correct themselves over the course of the next few days/weeks. Red Sox are last in their division, while O's are in second. Mariners are leading their division, while Astros are fourth. It's fun to watch the Cubs trip over themselves, but let's be real. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

49 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

This season is not even 10 games old. The standings, league-wide, will correct themselves over the course of the next few days/weeks. Red Sox are last in their division, while O's are in second. Mariners are leading their division, while Astros are fourth. It's fun to watch the Cubs trip over themselves, but let's be real. 

Those other teams didn't have the question marks the Cubs had coming in to the season.  Who in their bullpen did you feel comfortable giving the ball to even before the season?  Brach? Lester/Hamels are old as shit, Darvish is and has been a complete waste of money, and Q inconsistent.  While I agree it's a long season these are all glaring holes in a good division.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

36 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Who are they going to call up or trade for in the next month to bolster that awful rotation?  Oh, and if they fix the rotation, what are they going to do about the pen?  

If I'm a Cub fan, I see no positives to latch onto when looking at that pitching staff.  The offense is going to have to carry that team and I'm not sure they can do it.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Amazing the Cubs only got one WS title out of their tank/rebuild. Man, if they weren't so hot that one year. Just think if they had missed out on the 2016 title; that long stretch of jinx would still be talked about.

They invested little or nothing into farm system pitching.  That has backfired for them greatly.  They knew they were going to have to sign guys and they obviously did, but they HAD to supplement that with their own home grown guys.  There are none.

Edited by AustinIllini

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

Man, don't mock Q.

I love me some Q, but......it is still funny to watch the Cubs fail. He entered the game with good stuff but Yelich broke him. 

I can't help but wonder if he might come back after his contract there is up. If he has another bad season(for him) they might not pick up his option next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

59 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I love me some Q, but......it is still funny to watch the Cubs fail. He entered the game with good stuff but Yelich broke him. 

I can't help but wonder if he might come back after his contract there is up. If he has another bad season(for him) they might not pick up his option next year. 

I want him back in some way, even if it's just when his career is done as a minor league coach.

Theo's moves not going well. Q getting lit up,  Heyward went from 5-6 war to 1-2 war,  Darvish a waste of space while Happ and Edwards get sent to Iowa. Another week and they will be buried far behind the Crew. If they get swept this weekend the vultures will swoop down on Joe. This the downside of big money baseball. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Theo's moves not going well. Q getting lit up,  Heyward went from 5-6 war to 1-2 war,  Darvish a waste of space while Happ and Edwards get sent to Iowa. Another week and they will be buried far behind the Crew. If they get swept this weekend the vultures will swoop down on Joe. This the downside of big money baseball. 

I will totally let them out of all their bad contracts if they agree to give up their 2016 trophy. They'd agree, right?

They're a great example of why "consistent winning" over multiple seasons gets really tough. Win your title while you can.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I will totally let them out of all their bad contracts if they agree to give up their 2016 trophy. They'd agree, right?

They're a great example of why "consistent winning" over multiple seasons gets really tough. Win your title while you can.

Yep, their era began to fade when they failed to produce any pitching prospects and traded their best one to the Sox.  Theo has a long history of blowing free agent signings and not being able to develop pitchers, only hitters.  Also, he has signed some of the worst big money deals over the years — Edwin Jackson, Heyward, Chatwood, Darvish, Morrow.

Edited by Harper2Sox