Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

30 minutes ago, Cyrano said:

Wow, look who has the best record in the NL and is the hottest team in baseball with the highest run diff.  You're dream will not come true.   That's why it is better to focus on the White Sox and not the Cubs accomplishments.  If you are getting your baseball joy from Cub failure you will be disappointed for a long time.  You're letting your hate get in the way of seeing what is real.   Cubs are really good and will be for awhile; just have to deal with it.   Focus on the White Sox.  You will feel better.

lol looks like we got a Cubs fan on the board. 

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, Cyrano said:

image.png

Running out only for the haters.   Most wins in all of baseball last 4 years, 3 NLCS appearances, World Series Champion.   Hottest team in baseball right now.

Still great.  Window Wide open for several more years.   Have to learn to deal with it and focus on the Sox not the Cub accomplishments.

Summarizing what the Cubs did in 2015, 2016, etc. is irrelevant to the question I posed, which is:  are they an undeniably "great" team in 2019?  Here's another question for you - were they a "great" team in their most recent full season, when they missed the playoffs?  (And please let me stop you before you argue that losing a game to the Rockies is "making the playoffs.")  They are playing well this week, and time will tell whether they return to their heyday and you all get that dynasty you were promised.  But it's been a pretty obvious downward trend since 2016, and it's just no longer self-evident that the Cubs are a great team.  Sorry. 

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Summarizing what the Cubs did in 2015, 2016, etc. is irrelevant to the question I posed, which is:  are they an undeniably "great" team in 2019?  Here's another question for you - were they a "great" team in their most recent full season, when they missed the playoffs?  (And please let me stop you before you argue that losing a game to the Rockies is "making the playoffs.")  They are playing well this week, and time will tell whether they return to their heyday and you all get that dynasty you were promised.  But it's been a pretty obvious downward trend since 2016, and it's just no longer self-evident that the Cubs are a great team.  Sorry. 

Which team has the most wins in all of baseball the last four years?.  What other team has done that and made the LCS three times? Which team has done that and won a World Series Championship?  Which team has done all that and currently has the best record in the NL?   Only a Great Team.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, Cyrano said:

Which team has the most wins in all of baseball the last four years?.  What other team has done that and made the LCS three times? Which team has done that and won a World Series Championship?  Which team has done all that and currently has the best record in the NL?   Only a Great Team.  Sorry.

You have nothing better to do, huh?

There's probably a lot of Cubs message boards that you can praise the Cubs and bash the Sox on, so why are you here? Get lost, turd.

• Like 1

Unreal.

When did that hand gesture become a symbol for white supremacists? 

My co worker and I play the "The Circle Game" (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The Circle Game) at work and have been for years. 

Now I guess we shouldn't anymore because someone will see it and take it the wrong way.

Fuck you 4chan for making this troll joke in the first place, and fuck you white supremacists for actually aDoPtInG iT LiKE ThE m0r0ns YoU aRe.

Thank you random Cubs idiot fan for finally bringing this to my attention so I don't get in trouble at work randomly. 

3 hours ago, South Sider said:

Unreal.

When did that hand gesture become a symbol for white supremacists? 

My co worker and I play the "The Circle Game" (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The Circle Game) at work and have been for years. 

Now I guess we shouldn't anymore because someone will see it and take it the wrong way.

Fuck you 4chan for making this troll joke in the first place, and fuck you white supremacists for actually aDoPtInG iT LiKE ThE m0r0ns YoU aRe.

Thank you random Cubs idiot fan for finally bringing this to my attention so I don't get in trouble at work randomly. 

I think it was adopted around the time when Trump ran for President, around the same time as the Pepe the frog meme.  They took this sign on purpose because it would hidden from most people. The guy who murdered all of the Muslims in New Zealand made the same gesture during his court appearance.  Between him and the Cubs fan guy this definitely has given more awareness to what the gesture means among white supremacists. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/03/15/suspected-new-zealand-shooter-appears-in-court/amp/

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I think it was adopted around the time when Trump ran for President, around the same time as the Pepe the frog meme.  They took this sign on purpose because it would hidden from most people. The guy who murdered all of the Muslims in New Zealand made the same gesture during his court appearance.  Between him and the Cubs fan guy this definitely has given more awareness to what the gesture means among white supremacists. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/03/15/suspected-new-zealand-shooter-appears-in-court/amp/

Seriously, there's nothing shadier than walking around my retail establishment and sometimes flashing this sign to specific co-workers. I'd look like the biggest moron on the planet. 

Thanks for the link, by the way. I hadn't heard that the NZ guy made that gesture. 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Seriously, there's nothing shadier than walking around my retail establishment and sometimes flashing this sign to specific co-workers. I'd look like the biggest moron on the planet. 

Thanks for the link, by the way. I hadn't heard that the NZ guy made that gesture. 

It is a context thing though, it is only meant that way for certain people.  So I wouldn't think you would look like a moron in that situation.

22 hours ago, BFirebird said:

I've seen the upright OK sign mentioned before, but I've never seen anyone give them the power to take away the circle game as well. This is so ridiculous.

Also banned from Wrigley Field effectively immediately are Reece, Malcolm, and Stevie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I've seen the upright OK sign mentioned before, but I've never seen anyone give them the power to take away the circle game as well. This is so ridiculous.

Also banned from Wrigley Field effectively immediately are Reece, Malcolm, and Stevie.

It's the dumbest story of the year that I believe the Cubs themselves are intentionally playing up to distract those who would care from the fact that they're playing a woman beater. There was swifter and longer action here than taken vs Addidson Russel. That should tell you something.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I think the outrage about this being the circle game and not racist is a little misplaced.  The cubs clearly checked out this guys social media in order to determine if he is just an idiot(circle game) or if he has posted anything racist.  Given that they suspended him, I think we know what this guy was trying to convey when he did what he did.

i could be wrong, this could be the cubs covering their asses because of the fallout with grandpa Ricketts, but I will be surprised if that is the case.    I'm sure his name will be leaked eventually and then his social media will be scrutinized by the masses

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's the dumbest story of the year that I believe the Cubs themselves are intentionally playing up to distract those who would care from the fact that they're playing a woman beater. There was swifter and longer action here than taken vs Addidson Russel. That should tell you something.

Yeah, could certainly be the distraction they needed to try to show how pious they are by taking a tough stand against racism, despite it being overwhelming obvious that it was the circle game.

Also, once this story came out, I'm assuming by a white supremacist who saw it as a golden chance to get exposure for their cause by co-opting this harmless game for their own publicity, the can of worms was already opened and the Cubs likely felt boxed in to just tell everyone that this guy was racist and deserving of the ban not only to save their own face, but to look like social justice heroes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maddon protested yesterday's game against the Nats because of Sean Doolittle's double toe tap delivery. Maddon is so unlikeable.

I agree with Doolittle's assessment of Maddon . "Sometimes he has to remind people how smart he is."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/joe-maddon-goes-after-sean-doolittles-delivery-thats-exactly-what-i-was-told-carl-cant-do

Edited by Middle Buffalo
  • Thanks 1

According to a story I saw today on Twitter, the new Cubs TV Network is expected to net them 90 million a season in revenue. That will be up from the 60 million they are getting now per year.

They are going to be able to buy any player they want moving forward as well as suck a lot of advertising revenue out of the market.

Not good news for the Sox who try to fight for some relevance in that same market.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, could certainly be the distraction they needed to try to show how pious they are by taking a tough stand against racism, despite it being overwhelming obvious that it was the circle game.

Also, once this story came out, I'm assuming by a white supremacist who saw it as a golden chance to get exposure for their cause by co-opting this harmless game for their own publicity, the can of worms was already opened and the Cubs likely felt boxed in to just tell everyone that this guy was racist and deserving of the ban not only to save their own face, but to look like social justice heroes. 

Given that Pops Ricketts is a card carrying racist, I don't think that anything the Cubs do on this regard can be taken seriously. Other leagues would kicked them out of the ownership group for some of the shit Pops Ricketts has done. It's his money, so I guess they want to alienate American POC. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

According to a story I saw today on Twitter, the new Cubs TV Network is expected to net them 90 million a season in revenue. That will be up from the 60 million they are getting now per year.

They are going to be able to buy any player they want moving forward as well as suck a lot of advertising revenue out of the market.

Not good news for the Sox who try to fight for some relevance in that same market.

They could buy whatever player they want now and won't

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mqr said:

They could buy whatever player they want now and won't

They didn't want to go into Luxury Tax territory. Now with at LEAST an additional 30 million a year in revenue that should no longer be an impediment. 

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They didn't want to go into Luxury Tax territory. Now with at LEAST an additional 30 million a year in revenue that should no longer be an impediment. 

Yes it will. The Yankees make twice as much as anyone and they still don't go over. Rich people don't give away money just....because.

• Like 1