Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

6 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

yeah true but who would they get to replace theo if he leaves?

They will have plenty of candidates.

Ricketts will promise to fix what’s broken often and loudly.

Inside the organization itself, there are 2-3 candidates.  It just depends on how much more Ricketts is willing to spend.  

They’re going to need at least one starting pitcher (to replace Hamels) and another solid RH reliever at the very least.  Russell will be dumped on someone...probably a tanking team like the Royals or Tigers.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They will have plenty of candidates.

Ricketts will promise to fix what’s broken often and loudly.

Inside the organization itself, there are 2-3 candidates.  It just depends on how much more Ricketts is willing to spend.  

They’re going to need at least one starting pitcher (to replace Hamels) and another solid RH reliever at the very least.  Russell will be dumped on someone...probably a tanking team like the Royals or Tigers.

If you think finding a replacement for Hamels is going to do the trick, you're wrong. Their pitching blows

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s not really the case because the Cards and Brewers have their weaknesses and FA losses coming up.

Cubs have no choice but to be all-in at least one last time with the new network asking for $4-6 extra per month to all cable subscribers...

I think they try to get 1 more year in, but at the same time KB and I think Baez are not interested in signing extensions.  They are going to have to make some decisions this winter.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I think they try to get 1 more year in, but at the same time KB and I think Baez are not interested in signing extensions.  They are going to have to make some decisions this winter.

Well, that’s understandable with Rizzo getting older and Contreras the other core piece...it’s pretty obvious catchers eventually break down, so they might move him to the outfield to preserve his bat.

The problem is that Almora, Happ, Schwarber, Russell and Soler never progressed to the levels expected.

On paper, they have a pretty decent rotation...and a very shaky bullpen from the RH side with Kimbrel, Strop and Edwards, Jr., all going backwards this season, and only Wick really stepping up.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that’s understandable with Rizzo getting older and Contreras the other core piece...it’s pretty obvious catchers eventually break down, so they might move him to the outfield to preserve his bat.

The problem is that Almora, Happ, Schwarber, Russell and Soler never progressed to the levels expected.

On paper, they have a pretty decent rotation...and a very shaky bullpen from the RH side with Kimbrel, Strop and Edwards, Jr., all going backwards this season, and only Wick really stepping up.

Soler has progressed now, haha.  Just think about the players they have traded.  Torres, Soler, Eloy, Cease.  That’s a lot of talent to lose to still try to win year after year.

Since their network is starting up, Theo can’t pull a mini-rebuild if he wanted to but it would make a lot of sense to trade Rizzo and even Bryant if they would rather keep Baez and Contreras.

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Soler has progressed now, haha.  Just think about the players they have traded.  Torres, Soler, Eloy, Cease.  That’s a lot of talent to lose to still try to win year after year.

Since their network is starting up, Theo can’t pull a mini-rebuild if he wanted to but it would make a lot of sense to trade Rizzo and even Bryant if they would rather keep Baez and Contreras.

That’s not even counting Candelario and Paredes, along with Vogelbach.  

The former has struggled, but he had a solid rookie year.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s not even counting Candelario and Paredes, along with Vogelbach.  

The former has struggled, but he had a solid rookie year.

Candelario doesn’t look like he will be a guy they will miss.  But yeah, definitely Paredes.  Vogelbach they won’t miss because he’s a DH but they obviously didn’t sell him very high.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think the Cubs would gladly take Schwarber having a .852 OPS annually. His defense sucks though. The rest of the guys you listed I agree with

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Brewers with a 3 game lead in the WC with seven left to play, reminiscent of 2008 Sox after Quentin went down.

Still wouldn’t be surprised by another play-in game, except for the fact the Cubs don’t play well on the road this year.

Mets were almost 1/2 gb of Cubs but lost to Cincy.

The Cubs have to play St. Louis 4 more times.  The Brewers face the Pirates one more time and then the Reds and Rockies.  It’s ova.

I find it amusing that "Hope Springs Eternal" Cub fans are ready to eat their own at the first sign of trouble. Suddenly, the brain trust of Theo and Maddon aren't so brilliant anymore.  Meanwhile the 9-8 loss to St. Louis will go down as one of their biggest chokes. They should have put that game away in the first and then they blew it in the ninth. I guess the magic wore out.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I find it amusing that "Hope Springs Eternal" Cub fans are ready to eat their own at the first sign of trouble. Suddenly, the brain trust of Theo and Maddon aren't so brilliant anymore.  Meanwhile the 9-8 loss to St. Louis will go down as one of their biggest chokes. They should have put that game away in the first and then they blew it in the ninth. I guess the magic wore out.

I’m sure twitter isn’t a great sign of actual temperature of fans (and I know in the heat of a collapse like that I’d also be pissed) but I have definitely been surprised by the anger at the team. Meaning fans clamoring to no longer have to root for this same core.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Kind of crazy that the Cubs will likely come out of this “dynasty window” with only two division titles.

that what happens if you bulid a farm system but sell it all later wiyhough thinking about saving  it for later

Edited by timbo8