Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

What a collapse.  I have to think a piece or 2 of that core is going to be made available this off season.

I’m not so sure.  Last offseason, after all of Theo’s talk about big changes, only the hitting coach Chili Davis took the fall.  This offseason, letting Maddon go will be Theo’s big move, likely selling the stupid fans on the players listening to a new voice in David Ross as manager.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not so sure.  Last offseason, after all of Theo’s talk about big changes, only the hitting coach Chili Davis took the fall.  This offseason, letting Maddon go will be Theo’s big move, likely selling the stupid fans on the players listening to a new voice in David Ross as manager.

I'm not so sure.  I would not be suprised if 1 of Schwarber, KB, Baez, or Contreras was moved.  Maddon is definitely gone though.

19 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm not so sure.  I would not be suprised if 1 of Schwarber, KB, Baez, or Contreras was moved.  Maddon is definitely gone though.

Keep in mind, their new network is launching in 2020.  I know Cubs fans will likely pay up for it regardless because they are lemmings, but I could see the Cubs not wanting to trade away any of their big name players coming off a chokejob of a season and potentially lose some paying network customers.  I think it’s more about perception to the Cubs brass now and they want to make money based on past performances.  Plus, their competitive window with their core group of players is likely only open for two more seasons before free agency hits them hard (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, and Schwarber).

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Keep in mind, their new network is launching in 2020.  I know Cubs fans will likely pay up for it regardless because they are lemmings, but I could see the Cubs not wanting to trade away any of their big name players coming off a chokejob of a season and potentially lose some paying network customers.  I think it’s more about perception to the Cubs brass now and they want to make money based on past performances.  Plus, their competitive window with their core group of players is likely only open for two more seasons before free agency hits them hard (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, and Schwarber).

I don't think David Ross will inspire much excitement compared to Girardi's homecoming.

Baseball is an entertainment business, and Ross was a great story, but they need a manager with more gravitas to turn this thing around.

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't think David Ross will inspire much excitement compared to Girardi's homecoming.

Baseball is an entertainment business, and Ross was a great story, but they need a manager with more gravitas to turn this thing around.

Cubs fans loved “Rossie.”  🤮  Female Cubs fans especially liked him because they thought he was a good looking older dude and he was on Dancing With The Stars.  I think you underestimate how much Cubs fans like David Ross and are overestimating Girardi’s “gravitas.”  Girardi hasn’t been associated with the Cubs in quite some time and Ross was a part of the 2016 World Series winner.

Theo has signed Ross to be a backup catcher with both the Red Sox and Cubs and he has won a WS ring with both teams.  Theo also hired Ross to be a special assistance to the team’s baseball operations department.  Ross was also watching a Cardinals/Cubs game in a box with Theo last weekend.  All the signs point to Ross at this point.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Cubs fans loved “Rossie.”  🤮  Female Cubs fans especially liked him because they thought he was a good looking older dude and he was on Dancing With The Stars.  I think you underestimate how much Cubs fans like David Ross and are overestimating Girardi’s “gravitas.”  Girardi hasn’t been associated with the Cubs in quite some time and Ross was a part of the 2016 World Series winner.

Theo has signed Ross to be a backup catcher with both the Red Sox and Cubs and he has won a WS ring with both teams.  Theo also hired Ross to be a special assistance to the team’s baseball operations department.  Ross was also watching a Cardinals/Cubs game in a box with Theo last weekend.  All the signs point to Ross at this point.

You're assuming that Ricketts allows Epstein to make that decision.

5 hours ago, Melton1972 said:

No but their pitcher had a no hitter going into the seventh inning before the wheels fell off. five errors and a bunch of runs to a crappy team

I saw the last part of the seventh. In all of my years of watching baseball I have never seen a team collapse like this one, and I was around in 1969. It is almost as if they are waiting for something bad to happen, and then, it does. Cub fans, like us with our team, are speculating about what to do next season. I think they have do a great deal. The stain from this horrible last week is going to be hard to wash off. The dynasty has ended. 

Their problem is not developing pitching.

Everything went right in 2016 for them as Arrieta came out of nowhere and was unhittable and Lester was at the top of his game.

They gambled on Hamels and Lester this year and lost.

Quintana and Hendricks are erratic.

Darvish was a bright spot.  

The cubs have a lot of random pieces and now their core is going to be expensive.

Wonder if Theo would go back to Boston? 

50 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Everything went right in 2016 for them as Arrieta came out of nowhere and was unhittable and Lester was at the top of his game.

The cubs have a lot of random pieces and now their core is going to be expensive.

Read yesterday that Hoyer is one of the favorites.

6 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I saw the last part of the seventh. In all of my years of watching baseball I have never seen a team collapse like this one, and I was around in 1969. It is almost as if they are waiting for something bad to happen, and then, it does. Cub fans, like us with our team, are speculating about what to do next season. I think they have do a great deal. The stain from this horrible last week is going to be hard to wash off. The dynasty has ended. 

It never started.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Hendricks is erratic?

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

This year I would say he has been.  Some great games and some where he was hit very hard.  He has averaged just under  6 innings per start for the year.  I'm not saying he is not an option.

He's not White Sox starter erratic.   

He's got a 3.37/3.62 ERA/FIP with a career low walk rate of 1.6 BB/9. I dont really see that as erratic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

He's got a 3.37/3.62 ERA/FIP with a career low walk rate of 1.6 BB/9. I dont really see that as erratic.

Great at home, terrible on the road. I can’t believe they allowed 10 of 11 Pirates to reach. That’s more base runners than the Pirates have had in a week it seems 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Great at home, terrible on the road. I can’t believe they allowed 10 of 11 Pirates to reach. That’s more base runners than the Pirates have had in a week it seems 

The fact he has never pitched 200 innings and only pitched into the 8th inning once this year were numbers that stuck out to me.  

He was an MVP candidate in 2016.  I did not realize he was that good.

He is a good pitcher but with the aging of that staff he needed to be better.