Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The fact he has never pitched 200 innings and only pitched into the 8th inning once this year were numbers that stuck out to me.  

He was an MVP candidate in 2016.  I did not realize he was that good.

He is a good pitcher but with the aging of that staff he needed to be better.  

He’s been hurt or iffy quite a bit this year...that explains some of the endurance/stamina issues.

8 hours ago, Tony said:

They have "alot of random pieces" partly because they can't develop any pitching. It's a HUGE problem for them, and a big reason they are where they are. Same goes for the Sox and the lack of developing hitters. At some point, it catches up to you. 

And having to trade away multiple talents to fill your holes — Torres, Soler, Eloy, Cease, Vogelbach, Paredes.

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

This year I would say he has been.  Some great games and some where he was hit very hard.  He has averaged just under  6 innings per start for the year.  I'm not saying he is not an option.

He's not White Sox starter erratic.   

I think the word you're looking for is "inconsistent".

April - 5.33 ERA/.364 wOBA

May - 1.81 ERA/.214 wOBA

June - 4.41 ERA/.330 wOBA

July - 2.25 ERA/.279 wOBA

August - 5.20 ERA/.335 wOBA

September - 3.41 ERA/.271 wOBA

His ERA got cut in half and then doubled from month to month, each month. He was very inconsistent. Although, overall it still resulted in a 4.1 fWAR season, about as good as his 2016 season when he finished 3rd in Cy Young voting. 

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And having to trade away multiple talents to fill your holes — Torres, Soler, Eloy, Cease, Vogelbach, Paredes.

Yet, Theo is still called a genius and the media hypes him as entering the Hall of Fame some day. This is an incredible loss of talent. The Cubs had some real work to do, and I wonder if Theo is going to be around to do it.

55 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yet, Theo is still called a genius and the media hypes him as entering the Hall of Fame some day. This is an incredible loss of talent. The Cubs had some real work to do, and I wonder if Theo is going to be around to do it.

Until Theo builds a champion without being able to write blank checks for popular orgs that naturally draw free agents, I won't hail him as one of the greatest ever. Let's see him do this shit in Oakland, or Cleveland, or Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Until Theo builds a champion without being able to write blank checks for popular orgs that naturally draw free agents, I won't hail him as one of the greatest ever. Let's see him do this shit in Oakland, or Cleveland, or Pittsburgh.

Eh, the Dodgers write blank checks and when’s that last time they won a World Series?  The guy has won three rings with two different teams.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Eh, the Dodgers write blank checks and when’s that last time they won a World Series?  The guy has won three rings with two different teams.

So Kenny Williams is a better GM than Billy Beane? 

I am of the mindest I want my team to be an option for entertainment every day not one year out of 20.

As a person who gets zero financial benefit for the White Sox, I would take 10 division titles over a world championship and then twenty years of nothing.

As a fan looking to sit and watch one team daily, I'd take the Dodgers during Theo's tenure than the cubs. 

i got zero enjoyment out of the 2005 White Sox after the first game of the 2006 season.

11 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

So Kenny Williams is a better GM than Billy Beane? 

I am of the mindest I want my team to be an option for entertainment every day not one year out of 20.

As a person who gets zero financial benefit for the White Sox, I would take 10 division titles over a world championship and then twenty years of nothing.

As a fan looking to sit and watch one team daily, I'd take the Dodgers during Theo's tenure than the cubs. 

i got zero enjoyment out of the 2005 White Sox after the first game of the 2006 season.

I understand there’s a difference between the White Sox, Red Sox, Cubs, and A’s payrolls but there is also a difference between winning one flukey WS and winning three with two different teams.

Also, have you ever heard of memories?  That’s why one or multiple WS are nice.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

This had to be the best underachieving team money could buy.  The losing on the road to everyone is a mystery.

They were already losing but Theo immediately went for the tank once they were eliminated.  Shut down almost all of their starters and they are playing the bench. Theo at least knows when to intentionally lose for the draft pick.

And how about Quintana tonight?  Cubs fans must be hating Theo for that trade right now as Q is currently sporting a 4.68 ERA.  😂

On 9/26/2019 at 7:17 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

And the Dodgers are likely on their way to their 4th straight NLCS and 3rd straight World Series. Have yet to win less than 91 games since 2012 and have won their division every single one of those years.

How does that help your case that it isn't easier to be good with unlimited cash flows?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Maddon flipping the bird at the Brewers and their fans with the Cubs lineup tonight against the Cards.

And it is unfortunate that he will lose his job over the next 72 hours. He can be the sacrificial lamb, but it’s not his fault the players underperformed this year.