Cubs thread 2k19

Buehrle>Wood

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post this but seems a good place to post this head scratcher.  I was at the Brookfield Zoo this morning and this guy was walking in front of me with his wife and kids.  He was wearing an Addison Russell all star jersey.  Wouldn't most people have retired that from their wardrobe after his suspension let alone wear it out on a family outing?

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Wasn't sure where to post this but seems a good place to post this head scratcher.  I was at the Brookfield Zoo this morning and this guy was walking in front of me with his wife and kids.  He was wearing an Addison Russell all star jersey.  Wouldn't most people have retired that from their wardrobe after his suspension let alone wear it out on a family outing?

Maybe he’s unhappy with how Epstein defended him in the offseason and then reversed course and finally just gave up on him in the last 7-10 days...protest? 

By by the way, Strop and Edwards Jr. are toast.  Not sure how long until Cishek’s arm falls off.  Ryan is not exactly prime time Andrew Miller, either.  

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I was in Marshall’s several months ago and they had kids jerseys for sale. The Sox have Abreu and Lopez, the Cubs were all Russell. I was thinking someone was going to inadvertently buy their Cubs fan kid or nephew or niece or neighbor a wife beater jersey. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I was in Marshall’s several months ago and they had kids jerseys for sale. The Sox have Abreu and Lopez, the Cubs were all Russell. I was thinking someone was going to inadvertently buy their Cubs fan kid or nephew or niece or neighbor a wife beater jersey. 

Surprised the #metoo movement never organized a protest.  Probably because half their husbands and boyfriends value winning a lot more than integrity/morals/ethics/values.  In all seriousness, obviously there are many single women too, but the complaints and outcry from protest groups is almost exclusively aimed at the NFL and not MLB.   More of a psychological connection between football and violence?....maybe the size of some of the athletes.  I guess skin color is impossible to completely overlook, too.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe he’s unhappy with how Epstein defended him in the offseason and then reversed course and finally just gave up on him in the last 7-10 days...protest? 

By by the way, Strop and Edwards Jr. are toast.  Not sure how long until Cishek’s arm falls off.  Ryan is not exactly prime time Andrew Miller, either.  

I have a hard time seeing them hold off both the Cards and Brewers with that bullpen.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Surprised the #metoo movement never organized a protest.  Probably because half their husbands and boyfriends value winning a lot more than integrity/morals/ethics/values.  In all seriousness, obviously there are many single women too, but the complaints and outcry from protest groups is almost exclusively aimed at the NFL and not MLB.   More of a psychological connection between football and violence?....maybe the size of some of the athletes.  I guess skin color is impossible to completely overlook, too.

Female baseball journalists beat the hell out of russell this winter. Outside of sports journalism most baseball players are not well known on a national stage so national media didn't care that much.

At this point baseball is mostly a local sport except for yankees and red Sox so football players get a lot more attention nationally

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

On 7/27/2019 at 5:20 PM, caulfield12 said:

Russel is black and Filipino.  Don't make this something it's not.  Ray Rice knocking his wife out on camera for example is a lot more powerful than what happened with Russel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

On the other hand, Candelario has really regressed at the big league level. 

He's a weird case. His bat has fallen off a cliff but his defensive metrics have been very good. He came in with the bat first rep in the Cubs org but it's his defense that has improved in the big leagues  He was a 2.5 WAR player last season and he's still only 25. He just needs to be at least average with the bat to be a decent player for them.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Quite a roster for $215 million. Since May 7, I think they are one game under .500??? At some point, you are what you are. 

Pretty much the best 2 days of the baseball season so far.  

Shut up in advance to “I don’t care what the cubs do, why do you” guy.  🤓

Edited by Jerksticks