ALONSO LINEUP EFFECT

poppysox

On 4/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, Lillian said:

We already have Brando Guyer, at Charlotte and he probably plays a more respectable OF, than Austin.

Brandon Guyer is a 33 year old journeyman.  Austin is 6 years younger, controllable long term for cheap and is a much better power hitter than Guyer.  He's nothing that exciting, but he's definitely worth taking a flier on for nothing in return.  

That being said, it is unlikely that Austin will even make to the Sox waiver priority.  

On 4/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, OneDog847 said:

Alonso is only on the Sox because of who his brother in law is. Let's hope the Sox can flip him to a contender for a lotto ticket sooner rather than later. 

Naw, we will need him when we contend for the playoff spot this season.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, he’s also walking ~20% of the time and that’s not going to last.

Yea, his career average is ~10% but his BABIP career average is also .296 so those two should offset to a large degree. I’d surely take a 2017 version of Alonso and “call” it a huge win. 😉

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea, his career average is ~10% but his BABIP career average is also .296 so those two should offset to a large degree. I’d surely take a 2017 version of Alonso and “call” it a huge win. 😉

Oh I don’t disagree and have liked what I’ve seen out of Alonso, but your post made it seem like he’s some positive BABIP regression away from like a 150 wRC+ season.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I don’t disagree and have liked what I’ve seen out of Alonso, but your post made it seem like he’s some positive BABIP regression away from like a 150 wRC+ season.

Maybe not 150 but 133, like he posted two years ago, is certainly possible...

Yonder is not a great hitter, but he's not a .180 hitter either.  He'll have games like last night, and he'll have stretches where he doesn't touch the baseball.  He'll most likely end up where he typically is, which is .250 with 20+ HRs.  Nothing exciting, but I still like his presence in the lineup and on the field.  He's a decent 1B and is a HR threat from the left side.

As of today, Alonso has 72 plate appearances in the White Sox's first 18 games. At that rate, he would receive 648 plate appearances over a full 162 game season. 

Due to the number of PAs he received last year with Cleveland, his 2020 option vests if he reaches 526 PAs. 

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of today, Alonso has 72 plate appearances in the White Sox's first 18 games. At that rate, he would receive 648 plate appearances over a full 162 game season. 

Due to the number of PAs he received last year with Cleveland, his 2020 option vests if he reaches 526 PAs. 

Gulp.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

At this point I don't see him NOT reaching the required PAs.  With Abreu struggling, he'll continue to see time in the field and as a DH.  And frankly, the Sox don't have better options right now.

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

At this point I don't see him NOT reaching the required PAs.  With Abreu struggling, he'll continue to see time in the field and as a DH.  And frankly, the Sox don't have better options right now.

Basically his option is on pace to vest unless he gets hurt. 

12 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

^ and cheaper. Sox don’t have a better 1b option now or next year as far as I can tell.

Yeah, and I'm okay with it.  If they draft Vaughn, he'd, most likely be up in 2021...if he's as potentially good as thought to be.

If Abreu doesn't start turning it around soon, I don't see the Sox bringing him back.  He's been a slow starter, but he looks especially bad this year.  As someone mentioned during the game thread, he looks broken.

13 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, and I'm okay with it.  If they draft Vaughn, he'd, most likely be up in 2021...if he's as potentially good as thought to be.

If Abreu doesn't start turning it around soon, I don't see the Sox bringing him back.  He's been a slow starter, but he looks especially bad this year.  As someone mentioned during the game thread, he looks broken.

Yep. The FA market isn’t exactly loaded at 1b this winter either. I guess Smoak would be a bit of an upgrade but not significantly and he’s the same age as Alonso. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t see it as the end of the world if Alonso’s option vests. $9M for basically a 1fWAR player is in line with what you’d be looking at in the FA market.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE