ALONSO LINEUP EFFECT

poppysox

18 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Alonso looks like another Hahn bust. The White Sox would have been better off keeping Avi Garcia and not signing Alonso.

He'll probably hit better than this...but that doesn't matter. He was a bust the day it turned out he wasn't going to talk his in-law into taking a $50 million discount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

He'll probably hit better than this...but that doesn't matter. He was a bust the day it turned out he wasn't going to talk his in-law into taking a $50 million discount.

Nailed it.  Hahn couldn’t spend the extra $50 million guaranteed to sign his number one free agent target but he wasted 26 percent of that total ($13 million) on two bad players in a failed recruiting effort, and one of those two bad players hasn’t even seen the field.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I still can't wrap my head around the Alonso and Jay acquisitions. Did the Sox FO really think that Machado would take a huge discount just so he could play with his buddy and brother in law for a year? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I still can't wrap my head around the Alonso and Jay acquisitions. Did the Sox FO really think that Machado would take a huge discount just so he could play with his buddy and brother in law for a year? 

They spent $13 million in an effort to save $50 million 9 or 10 years from now. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Alonso and Jay only should have been brought on board once Machado had signed on the dotted line. Acquiring those two beforehand just reeked of desperation by the Sox. 

Hopefully Alonso can be be moved over the Summer for a couple of deep dish pizzas. This guy has no place on the 2020 roster. 

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

It’s amazing how afraid the Sox are to spend larger chunks of change but continually waste millions here and there as if it doesn’t all add up.

Same thing on the west side with the Bulls.   How much are they paying Thibs and Hoiberg right now (luckily for JR Hoiberg got that NU job)?  How much did they waste on Jabari?  Penny smart and pound foolish.

Alonso on pace for 660 plate appearances, well in excess of the 526 required to meet the $8M vesting option.

At this point, is seems like the Sox would prefer to have him next season for $9M as opposed to paying him his $1M buyout.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alonso on pace for 660 plate appearances, well in excess of the 526 required to meet the $8M vesting option.

At this point, is seems like the Sox would prefer to have him next season for $9M as opposed to paying him his $1M buyout.  

I also wouldn't be surprised if he's elsewhere by August. Opens up some 1B/DH at-bats for Collins and Zavala. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if he's elsewhere by August. Opens up some 1B/DH at-bats for Collins and Zavala. 

If he's at 400 Plate appearances by the trade deadline, that might be nice for a team because they know he's healthy, but any team acquiring him will know that the option is certain to vest, and that might not be appealing to them. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yah, but that could be a determining factor in another team acquiring him or not.  

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he's at 400 Plate appearances by the trade deadline, that might be nice for a team because they know he's healthy, but any team acquiring him will know that the option is certain to vest, and that might not be appealing to them. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, but that could be a determining factor in another team acquiring him or not.  

I guess we'd have to include cash, but if the money will be spent... 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, Dick Allen said:

Reminds me of something my old boss said to me years ago. 

I had a one on one meeting scheduled with him, and he was running late from an offsite appointment. He came in rushed and looking distraught. I asked him if everything was okay. He says:

”Yeah it’s fine it’s just... I just got a parking ticket and it was really dumb. I’m kicking myself because I considered putting an extra quarter in the meter, and sure enough, the appointment took longer than I expected and now I have a $50 parking ticket.”

I tried to console him. 

“Oh. Well, hey, that’s gonna happen from time to time in Chicago. Cost of doing business. At least the meeting went well, right? Besides, your our CEO, I mean what’s fifty bucks here and there on a productive appointment?”

And what he said then has always stuck with me:

”No, it’s not that. I just gambled fifty dollars to save twenty-five cents. It was a stupid decision from the start.”

• Like 1

23 hours ago, poppysox said:

I think Hahn thought he getting the players these guys always have been.  

What they had been (recently) was not very good; both were sorely overpaid for their performance.  If their recent performance is what Hahn wanted then it's no wonder...

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

What they had been (recently) was not very good; both were sorely overpaid for their performance.  If their recent performance is what Hahn wanted then it's no wonder...

Exactly.  Where did this idea come from that Alonso is a good hitter? He plays 1B where the expectations are high for one's bat and he has never matched up in that area.  He's a 32 year old with a .743 career OPS.

Edited by Harper2Sox

16 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Reminds me of something my old boss said to me years ago. 

I had a one on one meeting scheduled with him, and he was running late from an offsite appointment. He came in rushed and looking distraught. I asked him if everything was okay. He says:

”Yeah it’s fine it’s just... I just got a parking ticket and it was really dumb. I’m kicking myself because I considered putting an extra quarter in the meter, and sure enough, the appointment took longer than I expected and now I have a $50 parking ticket.”

I tried to console him. 

“Oh. Well, hey, that’s gonna happen from time to time in Chicago. Cost of doing business. At least the meeting went well, right? Besides, your our CEO, I mean what’s fifty bucks here and there on a productive appointment?”

And what he said then has always stuck with me:

”No, it’s not that. I just gambled fifty dollars to save twenty-five cents. It was a stupid decision from the start.”

Holy fuck this happened to me 2-3 weeks ago. I drove in on the first of the month (in accounting, these are long days for me so I didn't want to deal with the longer Metra trains at night). I found a lot where I paid I think $22 to park for 12 hours. To park for over 12 hours, it was like $2 extra. I ended up being at the office for 15 hours and walked out to a $50 parking ticket.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Holy fuck this happened to me 2-3 weeks ago. I drove in on the first of the month (in accounting, these are long days for me so I didn't want to deal with the longer Metra trains at night). I found a lot where I paid I think $22 to park for 12 hours. To park for over 12 hours, it was like $2 extra. I ended up being at the office for 15 hours and walked out to a $50 parking ticket.

Makes you think about that stuff differently. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, Harper2Sox said:

Exactly.  Where did this idea come from that Alonso is a good hitter? He plays 1B where the expectations are high for one's bat and he has never matched up in that area.  He's a 32 year old with a .743 career OPS.

I would have understood the Alonso pickup if we didn't already  have Palka.  There is a premium on lefty power but we didn't need it.