Covey Sent Down

CWSpalehoseCWS

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why would Nate Jones being willing to jeopardize his career with a fake injury?

He wouldn't, but it's either that or DFA. He's done if he can't regain some velo.  He's going to go on the IL with some injury and try to get some back and if he doesn't it is DFA time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He wouldn't, but it's either that or DFA. He's done. 

Then your post makes no sense.  He isn't going to sit on the DL for a year with no injury.  If they Sox want to dump him, he will take his money and leave, not pretend to be hurt.  If he spends the entire year "hurt", he is going to be even less able to find his next contract.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Then your post makes no sense.  He isn't going to sit on the DL for a year with no injury.  If they Sox want to dump him, he will take his money and leave, not pretend to be hurt.  If he spends the entire year "hurt", he is going to be even less able to find his next contract.

He's going to go on the IL to try to find it in Charlotte. If he doesn't find it, he'll take his money and leave. That is what I meant. Poor explanation of what I meant the first time. The Sox need to find a 3rd and 4th reliable bullpen guy, and Jones has lost too much to be one of them currently. Try Fry, Ruiz and Burr, and see what happens. If not them, next man up. Hamilton would be next on the list, followed by Bummer. 

Obviously we know Minaya and Covey aren't MLB pitchers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I wouldn’t be so quick to check off Covey. The kid was a Rule V pick out if AA. He had a learning curve the first year and seemed better last year. The choice to go down was between the veteran Jones and a player with options. Ruiz can throw 100 MPH and did good in Spring Training. I would be questioning who makes roster decisions out of Arizona and not be so quick to write off young players 

Strange story, this one about the one they call Dylan Covey.

Last year, as of June 18, these were Covey's stats:  7 starts, 40 1/3 innings pitched, 16 walks, 35 K's and an ERA of 2.90.

And then he turned to crap for the rest of the year and so far this year.  What the hell happened?

I know baseball is a game of adjustments.  Many rookie hitters start off like a ball of fire.  Then scouting reports over time reveal the batter's weaknesses.  He then adjusts to the pitchers' adjustments or he doesn't.  He becomes a star if he does, becomes mediocre or gets sent down to the minors if he doesn't.  Pretty straightforward, I think.

But what about pitching?  Forty innings is a pretty good size sample (20-25% of a season for a starter).  If Covey did that well, nice K to BB ratio, and an excellent ERA, what happened? 

Adjustments by pitchers usually go the other way:  a guy has trouble early on in his career:  control problems, pitch location, mental toughness when things go wrong, etc.  Then, if he is successful,  he figures it out.  Many HOFers started out poorly before turning it around.  Off the top of my head, Smoltz and Glavine here in Atlanta had less than stellar beginnings to their careers but they figured it out.

I've never seen it go the other way as it has for Covey---to go from an ERA of 2.90 as a starter to out of MLB as a dreadful relief pitcher.

It's not like it really matters, but this doesn't make much sense. Covey faced 10 batters, 1 of whom he intentionally walked and another who reached on error. Of the other 8, he got 4 out. What about that run changes your mind about having him in the pen vs Jose Ruiz, who hasn't pitched since the end of ST?

Again, this really isn't important, but I'm very confused about what kind of decisionmaking process leads to this move.

16 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

Strange story, this one about the one they call Dylan Covey.

Last year, as of June 18, these were Covey's stats:  7 starts, 40 1/3 innings pitched, 16 walks, 35 K's and an ERA of 2.90.

And then he turned to crap for the rest of the year and so far this year.  What the hell happened?

I know baseball is a game of adjustments.  Many rookie hitters start off like a ball of fire.  Then scouting reports over time reveal the batter's weaknesses.  He then adjusts to the pitchers' adjustments or he doesn't.  He becomes a star if he does, becomes mediocre or gets sent down to the minors if he doesn't.  Pretty straightforward, I think.

But what about pitching?  Forty innings is a pretty good size sample (20-25% of a season for a starter).  If Covey did that well, nice K to BB ratio, and an excellent ERA, what happened? 

Adjustments by pitchers usually go the other way:  a guy has trouble early on in his career:  control problems, pitch location, mental toughness when things go wrong, etc.  Then, if he is successful,  he figures it out.  Many HOFers started out poorly before turning it around.  Off the top of my head, Smoltz and Glavine here in Atlanta had less than stellar beginnings to their careers but they figured it out.

I've never seen it go the other way as it has for Covey---to go from an ERA of 2.90 as a starter to out of MLB as a dreadful relief pitcher.

Just my theory. One explanation is his minor league career. He pitched very little in AA and AAA. So when he surfaced in the majors there was probably very limited info on him. As he pitched in the majors teams must have found some weaknesses and he has not been able to make adjustments.