MADRIGAL MAGIC

poppysox

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Let's use this thread to all agree on our favorite player so we can order our jerseys.

It's funny because just the other day I was daydreaming and thinking Madrigal came up and was awesome, and I was going to write in this board that I was going to get his jersey. Hope this daydream cines true!

19 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

This was my immediate connection when we drafted him. Couldn't think of a good way to make a nickname out of it, but I did suggest that WSD put that logo on a T-shirt. As for a nickname related to it? "Little motor"?

THE NICKNAME KING IS BACK!!!

NICK "LITTLE MOTOR" MADRIGAL

Edited by ron883

I think he is going to be a fantastic leadoff hitter. I'd like to see him add some pop, but he could still be a really productive player even if he only hits a couple homers a year as long as he hits over .300. With guys like Moncada, Eloy, Robert, etc behind him, literally all he has to do is get on base and be solid defensively at 2nd base.

21 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I think he is going to be a fantastic leadoff hitter. I'd like to see him add some pop, but he could still be a really productive player even if he only hits a couple homers a year as long as he hits over .300. With guys like Moncada, Eloy, Robert, etc behind him, literally all he has to do is get on base and be solid defensively at 2nd base.

I've said this before - but I think if he hits only a "couple homers a year" he'll struggle to be a "really productive player" because that will be a symptom of a larger problem - that he isn't driving the ball. In the modern game even if you're really good at making contact in the minors, you're going to strike out more once you get to big league pitching and major league defenders are going to get you out more than minor league defenders. If he isn't hitting 10+ home runs then he very likely also isn't driving the ball into the gaps for doubles/triples, he's relying on weak contact. The end result would be a low BABIP and a situation where he'd struggle to hit close to .300. 

Give me 10-ish Home runs a year, the associated doubles and triples that come from driving the ball and hitting things hard, and then he's hitting the .300+ like you said. That's a "really productive player".  

No one in the big leagues hit over .300 with fewer than 9 home runs last year, and the only guys who were close to .300 with fewer HR than that were guys with fewer than 503 at bats, so their BABIP could carry them a bit more and their HR numbers are a bit depressed from a low number of plate appearances. 

• Like 1

We had an offseason where we could have signed two players who are MVP candidates and people are excited about a slap hitter with no power.  Amazing.

If he doesn’t develop some Altuve-type pop, he will essentially be Scotty Pods at 2B.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

We had an offseason where we could have signed two players who are MVP candidates and people are excited about a slap hitter with no power.  Amazing.

If he doesn’t develop some Altuve-type pop, he will essentially be Scotty Pods at 2B.

Equating every single thing to the off season is just played out. How about we just Madrigal on his skills and not who wasn't signed in the off season. The need to be angry is such a waste. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Equating every single thing to the off season is just played out. How about we just Madrigal on his skills and not who wasn't signed in the off season. The need to be angry is such a waste. 

Read my final sentence please.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

He’s Darwin Barney to me until he shows power

Fox was a 12 time All Star, 1959 MVP, 3 time Gold Glove and Hall of Fame member.  He only hit one or two homers per year.  Lots of ways to be of value.

6 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

And we all know how useless Podsednik was

🙄