Fangraphs prospect chats

Dominikk85

All the White Sox takes
________
Heard it from a Burdi
12:18
Any updates on Burdi's velocity? Haven't seen much since the AFL.

Eric A Longenhagen
12:18
Zack? They shut him down during the spring, have no idea where he's at right now.

Dunt
12:21
Can Zack Collins fit into a Carlos Santana type career trajectory or is his defense at C that far behind?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:22
He's worse than Santana back there and not nearly as good a 1B glove

Kevin
12:25
How many healthy ABs for Luis Robert before he starts to make major moves up THE BOARD?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:26
It's more about the bat-to-ball stuff than health. I've seen him plenty to know what the physical tooks are, I'm just not sure how that bat path ends up playing. It's Delmon Youngish.

But we'll see. The power is huge, he's great in CF and that's typically enough

Bring back DeSpaniel Hair
12:48
Realizing Moncada is not a prospect anymore, he sits at 30/60 hit tool in the database. What does hitting his upside look like at the plate? And is this season the beginning of the breakout?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:48
i over-projected the bat. I think he could be a high-end walk rate guy and hit for a ton of power but he'll always be a 40 bat-to-ball guy, I think. Which is fine, should still be really good.
Edited by ron883

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-4-8-2019/

On Robert:

Notes
Off to hot start, Robert has multi-hit efforts in each of his first four games and has already stolen three bases and homered three times. After watching LouBob a lot last year (first while he rehabbed multiple injuries, then in the Fall League), I grew concerned about how his bat path might limit the quality of his contact (he sometimes struggled to pull pitches he should have) or his rate of contact, which we don’t have a large-enough sample to properly assess because of his injuries. So far, the pull-side stuff hasn’t been founded, as all but two of Robert’s balls in play so far this year have been to the right side of the field, and those were both pop-ups to the second baseman. He’s one of the more physically-gifted players in pro baseball.

I thought his chat answer was kinda strange anyway. The injuries I think influenced how his hit tool would look because:

- It's obstructed development

- His timing and hand injuries constantly put him at points where it may be hard to scout

Nice to see those concerns, however, were noticeably quelled after seeing him live during this streak.

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With Robert, I just want to see him healthy to see what we really have here.  That will allow him to get exposure, and time to have pitchers adjust to him to see where the holes in his game actually are.

I think this is spot on.  People get on teams for keeping guys down, but there is a method to it and this is exactly why.  You need to learn how to fail and to adjust to how teams are pitching you.  LouBob's hot streak is great, as well as Collins playing well, but lets see what happens when they struggle and how they adjust to teams pitching them differently.  Once you learn how to adjust in the minors and turn things around when things are going bad, that is when i think you are ready to move up to MLB mentally.  Obviously, Robert is behind Collins in development time, but both still have to learn to make those types of adjustments.  Better to learn how to do that against MILB pitching than learning how to do that at MLB level.  You will still need to adjust in MLB, but you have to know how to go about it.  Collins struggling last year, going back to his old swing and performing well so far this year only will help him to succeed down the road.