Sox and Mariners Game #2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Flying open is your body being ahead of your arm. You'll either miss down and away or up and in to your arm side if that happens. Those are the two misses and it depends on the delivery. 

It’s specifically opening your lead shoulder early, the arm lags behind, and the result is almost always missing high and arm side. I can’t think of an example where the total opposite happens.

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

It’s specifically opening your lead shoulder early, the arm lags behind, and the result is almost always missing high and arm side. I can’t think of an example where the total opposite happens.

It is because you hold on to the ball longer to compensate because you know it's happening. That is what I think he's doing. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good analysis. A lot better than calling him a head case.

It's hard to get into a guy's head and it's not like you can make a clean separation of mind and body, but I apply a high level of scrutiny to claims that a guy would be good if not for being a head case. Maybe a guy just isn't good or is having a legitimate problem and fixing it is not a matter of just thinking differently

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It is because you hold on to the ball longer to compensate because you know it's happening. That is what I think he's doing. 

If he's opening up it's going to throw off his timing and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see him missing along the path from high and inside to low and away (to a righty)

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Be mad at Giolito, not me.  I’m just calling it like I see it.  And like others have already stated, 2019 should be his last chance.  If he can’t repeat his delivery from start to start, it just isn’t gonna happen for him.

Hey I can be critical too. Look ! Sox suck Giolito sucks, The Sox can never come back this game but I choose not to. It's still early in the game and I still have hope for Giolito and the Sox. SO sue me for enjoying baseball and my favorite team.

Just now, Jake said:

It's hard to get into a guy's head and it's not like you can make a clean separation of mind and body, but I apply a high level of scrutiny to claims that a guy would be good if not for being a head case. Maybe a guy just isn't good or is having a legitimate problem and fixing it is not a matter of just thinking differently

Yeah, Giolito's issues are 100% physical. It has nothing to do with his thought process on the mound, and everything to do with the repeatability of his delivery. 

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

If he's opening up it's going to throw off his timing and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see him missing along the path from high and inside to low and away (to a righty)

Yup. Either could be the miss but those are the two misses depending on whether or not he's holding on to the ball to compensate. I'd rather he miss low and away than hit the guy because he can correct it the next pitch. Low and away is just a ball. Hitting a batter puts a runner on base immediately. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I've been very anti-Palka from the get-go because of his defense but I'm very surprised by how much he's struggled at the plate so far. And it's not like he's been hitting rockets all over the place and having them caught.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yes as you said  he's made many changes and repetition is a key and that is not an easy thing and has nothing to do with his thought processes.

Just now, Jake said:

I've been very anti-Palka from the get-go because of his defense but I'm very surprised by how much he's struggled at the plate so far. And it's not like he's been hitting rockets all over the place and having them caught.

If Palka can't hit, he needs to go to Charlotte when Santana gets the call. Simple as that. I much rather would have had Jones or CarGo in RF. 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes as you said  he's made many changes and repetition is a key and that is not an easy thing and has nothing to do with his thought processes.

He overthinks things far too much. Between that, his spin rate and his inability to repeat his delivery, it’s why he’s not a major leaguer at this time.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I should add that I think this is much different for hitters. In their case I think it's common for guys to get into a bad state of mind that hurts their production

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic