Is GRF bad at being busy

bmags

I’m interested in if I’m being a grumpy old man or if others feel this way.

I haven’t been to a ton of other ball parks, but I’ve been to wrigley, Fenway, Anaheim, and brewers parks when they were all either sold out or 30k +.

One thing that always seems to stick out when the Sox games are crowded when I’m there (as opposed to like 24k or less) is how freaking long everything takes.

Food and drinks take a good inning you will miss, so you better get it all at once. Fees like every line is 8 plus people deep and it takes FOREVER.

The other stadiums it feels like we’re way more manageable. 

I don’t quite even get why, but am I crazy? Is it actually bad there too and I was just too distracted by the novelty?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m interested in if I’m being a grumpy old man or if others feel this way.

I haven’t been to a ton of other ball parks, but I’ve been to wrigley, Fenway, Anaheim, and brewers parks when they were all either sold out or 30k +.

One thing that always seems to stick out when the Sox games are crowded when I’m there (as opposed to like 24k or less) is how freaking long everything takes.

Food and drinks take a good inning you will miss, so you better get it all at once. Fees like every line is 8 plus people deep and it takes FOREVER.

The other stadiums it feels like we’re way more manageable. 

I don’t quite even get why, but am I crazy? Is it actually bad there too and I was just too distracted by the novelty?

Maybe a bit slower, but I think mostly distracted by the novelty and potentially not actually going to those lines as much as if you were at a Sox game.

• Like 1

Yesterday was an awful experience for just about everyone so you weren't alone. Lot of complaints going around. Getting through security was absolute hell. No one could get any food. Not all the concessions were open. Some STILL only take cash. Better hope you brought cash for beer because only way to get that without missing an inning was from the vendors. Bathroom lines were horrible. 

I did ask one of the workers and they were told to expect around 20-22k. I'm not sure what happened there. Almost 32k announced.

Seemed like everyone from the upper deck was on the main concourse yesterday. That is my guess on the major cause of the issues (albeit I never made it up top to see how crowded it was up there). They give you every incentive to come down. The Goose island deck, the beer cave, cf fan deck, the kids deck,  the revolution bar etc.

Sox were one of the few teams to check tickets on the main concourse. They stopped it a few years ago. But I wish theyd go back to it for crowds over a certain number. They did that for about a year before scrapping it all together.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yesterday was an awful experience for just about everyone so you weren't alone. Lot of complaints going around. Getting through security was absolute hell. No one could get any food. Not all the concessions were open. Some STILL only take cash. Better hope you brought cash for beer because only way to get that without missing an inning was from the vendors. Bathroom lines were horrible. 

I did ask one of the workers and they were told to expect around 20-22k. I'm not sure what happened there. Almost 32k announced.

Seemed like everyone from the upper deck was on the main concourse yesterday. That is my guess on the major cause of the issues (albeit I never made it up top to see how crowded it was up there). They give you every incentive to come down. The Goose island deck, the beer cave, cf fan deck, the kids deck,  the revolution bar etc.

Sox were one of the few teams to check tickets on the main concourse. They stopped it a few years ago. But I wish theyd go back to it for crowds over a certain number. They did that for about a year before scrapping it all together.

Your last paragraph makes a ton of sense. In the fourth seemed like the whole main level was in their seats, I get up and the concourse was like a rain delay.

But you are right, Sox especially early try way too hard to optimize staffing with their stands. They seem to figure it out in June/July for weekend games, but sometimes even 15k weeknight games are hell because they’ll have like two stands open.

Tickets cost the same, but you get worse treatment.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Soldier Field lines are far worse imo.

Yes football games are always terrible. But baseball stadiums maybe due to the extra space and lower capacity I haven’t found as difficult.

For years, I have found GRF concessions to be particularly inefficient with respect to food along the exterior of the continuous concourse. The primary kiosks (polish, kosher, beer, etc.) seem to have a simple formula that works and keeps lines moving (Bun, sausage, onions/kraut?, drink?, condiments over there, next).

However, the outer concourse ring is hampered either by poor layout that can not be modified (maybe due to original design or fire code), or are just lacking in better assembly line planning and training. Increasing staff at these spots also appears counterproductive as they frequently bump into each other going to the same steam table, soda fountain, tap, or ice cream machine. I strongly think they could improve this with training, process changes, or maybe limiting choices per window, but it doesn't seem to be their priority for some reason. 

44 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

32k announced probably closer to 40kin the house. I think most of the people who got the freebies to a game in Aprilor May used it yesterday. The lowere concourse was packed all the way around the park.

2 hours ago, Pants Rowland said:

For years, I have found GRF concessions to be particularly inefficient with respect to food along the exterior of the continuous concourse. The primary kiosks (polish, kosher, beer, etc.) seem to have a simple formula that works and keeps lines moving (Bun, sausage, onions/kraut?, drink?, condiments over there, next).

However, the outer concourse ring is hampered either by poor layout that can not be modified (maybe due to original design or fire code), or are just lacking in better assembly line planning and training. Increasing staff at these spots also appears counterproductive as they frequently bump into each other going to the same steam table, soda fountain, tap, or ice cream machine. I strongly think they could improve this with training, process changes, or maybe limiting choices per window, but it doesn't seem to be their priority for some reason. 

This also sounds spot on. The lines can seem more intimidating for the Vienna stands but they move way faster. I don’t know what the deal is with the outer ring. Perhaps it’s the staff constantly dealing with new food items so the early on is rough.

I will say the stadium is always much better in August for some obvious staffing reasons.

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

They were checking yesterday on the ramp to get back into the 100 from the social lounge.  We had to walk up to the 500 just to come back down on the other side to get to the Craft Kave.

They normally check all around if it's over 30,000, sounds like they were blown away by the walk up, so both concessions and security weren't prepared.

Edited by soxfan18

8 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

They were checking yesterday on the ramp to get back into the 100 from the social lounge.

I actually made that walk twice and neither time did I get checked albeit the security guy was there so it's possible. I'd go up there to use the bathroom because it was shorter than any of the ones on the concourse. 

This thread is why baseball has to be getting worried about the comfort of watching games at home on big screen TV. If you have to wait long in line to go to the bathroom or get food/drink, that's not good. Just open up all the stands, geezus it's not that difficult, White Sox. These baseball teams with the monster player payrolls try to nickle and dime everything else.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This thread is why baseball has to be getting worried about the comfort of watching games at home on big screen TV. If you have to wait long in line to go to the bathroom or get food/drink, that's not good. Just open up all the stands, geezus it's not that difficult, White Sox. These baseball teams with the monster player payrolls try to nickle and dime everything else.

The Sox don't managed the concession stands, Delaware North does.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, Buehrle>Wood said:

They only check lower level if it's over 25k so that sounds in line with the "expect about 22k attendance" that you were told.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

They were checking yesterday on the ramp to get back into the 100 from the social lounge.  We had to walk up to the 500 just to come back down on the other side to get to the Craft Kave.

They normally check all around if it's over 30,000, sounds like they were blown away by the walk up, so both concessions and security weren't prepared.

Sorry for the dumb question, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but do they check your phone ticket how they used to check a paper ticket? Ie: you show them your phone as you're walking into the 100. I heard from someone they scan your ticket every time you come back...granted, I don't really trust this person, and that really wouldn't make sense to scan it every time, but figured I would ask.

5 hours ago, SoxPride56 said:

Sorry for the dumb question, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but do they check your phone ticket how they used to check a paper ticket? Ie: you show them your phone as you're walking into the 100. I heard from someone they scan your ticket every time you come back...granted, I don't really trust this person, and that really wouldn't make sense to scan it every time, but figured I would ask.

I was 12 rows behind the dugout on the Saturday game and there was nobody standing there looking at tickets the whole game.  Made 2-3 trips for beer/food.

I have been to Fenway numerous times. They always draw well so their staffing is set up to handle big crowds. Teams that get variances in crowds usually struggle when attendance jumps up. Boston does a good job of providing plenty of aisle vendors which takes some of the burden off the stands in the concourse. 

I have yet to see a stadium.though, that has found a way to limit the bathroom lines. But I am sure an app is being developed. 

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

I have been to Fenway numerous times. They always draw well so their staffing is set up to handle big crowds. Teams that get variances in crowds usually struggle when attendance jumps up. Boston does a good job of providing plenty of aisle vendors which takes some of the burden off the stands in the concourse. 

I have yet to see a stadium.though, that has found a way to limit the bathroom lines. But I am sure an app is being developed. 

Good perspective.

Saturday was unique. I haven't seen the lower deck so crowded since they came up with the policy upper deckers had to sit in the upper deck. The concourse was full all the way around. They got surprised by the turnout which made their already slow concessions slower, and the bathroom lines longer. 

It must have been the decent day and sweatshirts. It was either last year or the year before, the second game of the home season featured a closed upper deck. 

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'll agree and disagree.  I love getting to a game or two a year with the family.  But it's a pain in the ass.  Parking, getting through security, lines at concessions, etc.  I won't complain about the cost of concessions, because I choose to have a beer or two and to let the kids buy some food.  Fans can bring in their own food and water, and we'll do that as well.

It's A LOT easier to sit my lazy ass in my recliner with a handful of beers.  But I still want to be at the game.  It's just fun to be there.

Opening all the stands, however, is a different story.  They will plan ahead of time based on expectations.  Scheduling which stands and how many people to schedule has to be based on attendance projections.  Sometimes they'll get it wrong.  On a much smaller scale, a friend of mine is good friends with the owners of the Joliet Slammers and has season tickets.  He invites me and my family regularly, and I'll see days when there are 1000 people there and every stand is open and other days when there are 4000 people and half the stands are open.  Having talked to the owners and event coordinators, they say it's tough to project sometimes.  They'll have 800 tickets sold ahead of time and then 1500 walk-ups some days while other days they'll have 1000 tickets sold and only half them show up with only a couple hundred walk-ups.  Obviously the Sox should be more organized and have a better idea of attendance, but I'm sure there are still failures.