Anderson's Opposite Field Hitting

Lillian

I recently posted a comment, on this board, regarding Anderson's willingness and ability to hit to the opposite field. It was quite prevalent in Spring Training, prompting me to say, at the time, that this approach could be a significant factor in his progression as a hitter. I've always been a big advocate for hitting to the opposite field. Now, with all of the exaggerated shifts, it has become even more advantageous than it has always been. 

One of the really effective approaches, at the plate, is to take fast balls up the middle, or the the opposite field and to pull the off speed pitches. That affords the hitter more time to see and time a fast ball, and helps keep him from the dreaded circumstance of being "in between". Tim's home run, yesterday, was on an 85 mph cutter, or slider, which he took to center and several of his hits have been to right field. It's obvious that he is not trying to pull everything, which I applaud.

Going to right also expands the hitter's plate coverage. If he isn't thinking about pulling the ball, he can simply use that "hands before the barrel of the bat," or "inside out" swing, to effectively punch pitches, just outside the strike zone, to the opposite field.

Tim's new approach augers very well for his future. He is maturing both as a defender and as a hitter. There is a lot of talent in that young man, and if he realizes it, he could become an exceptional player. Stone has often asserted that he would soon hit 25 homers and steal 25 bases. He's even speculated that he could become a "30 - 30" player. If Tim can get his OBP up to closer to .350, he could become the Sox' long sought after, lead off hitter. That would in turn, allow Moncada the chance to hit in the middle of the order. One could envision a near future lineup featuring Anderson leading off, Madrigal batting second and Moncada third, with Eloy in the clean up slot, followed by Robert. Tim is already striking out less, now he needs to take a few more walks. This start to his season is very encouraging. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I recently posted a comment, on this board, regarding Anderson's willingness and ability to hit to the opposite field. It was quite prevalent in Spring Training, prompting me to say, at the time, that this approach could be a significant factor in his progression as a hitter. I've always been a big advocate for hitting to the opposite field. Now, with all of the exaggerated shifts, it has become even more advantageous that it has always been. 

One of the really effective approaches, at the plate, is to take fast balls up the middle, or the the opposite field and to pull the off speed pitches. That affords the hitter more time to see and time a fast ball, and helps keep him from the dreaded circumstance of being "in between". Tim's home run, yesterday, was on an 85 mph slider, which he took to center and several of his hits have been to right field. It's obvious that he is not trying to pull everything, which I applaud.

Going to right also expands the hitter's plate coverage. If he isn't thinking about pulling the ball, he can simply use that "hands before the barrel of the bat," or "inside out" swing, to effectively punch pitches, just outside the strike zone, to the opposite field.

Tim's new approach augers very well for his future. He is maturing both as a defender and as a hitter. There is a lot of talent in that young man, and if he realizes it, he could become an exceptional player. Stone has often asserted that he would soon hit 25 homers and steal 25 bases. He's even speculated that he could become a "30 - 30" player. If Tim can get his OBP up to closer to .350, he could become the Sox' long sought after, lead off hitter. That would in turn, allow Moncada the chance to hit in the middle of the order. One could envision a near future lineup featuring Anderson leading off, Madrigal batting second and Moncada third, with Eloy in the clean up slot. Tim is already striking out less, now he needs to take a few more walks. This start to his season is very encouraging. 

Say what you want about the babip, Going the opposite way is what made Avi so good a couple years ago, then he reverted after he got injured and kept trying to pull everything again. So yes, being a hitter than can hit to all fields is advantageous, and IMO makes you more valuable because as a hitter you can be used in many different ways in different situations. Tim also has speed and power which just adds to it.

Edited by Scoots

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree with your analysis.  When fans see the opposite field gaps (you could drive a truck through) it's hard to imagine why every hitter doesn't take a free hit or two every day.  Must be harder than it looks.

The difficulty in executing the attempt to hit to the opposite field is primarily caused by hitters constantly trying to pull the ball. Pitches on the outside portion of the plate are actually easier to hit to the opposite field, but not if a hitter rolls his wrist over, which is part of the process of pulling the ball. It's more a matter of changing the mindset, than it is learning to physically do it. 

I understand the mechanics of hitting.  What is puzzling is coaching not insisting the player learns the skill of pushing a ball through that massive hole.  Every player who gets an exaggerated shift practice rolling the ball up the opposite field line.  You would think would reduce to size of those shifts.  

Just like bunting---some guys just can't do it or don't want to.  Some power guys says that's not why their paid the big bucks.  I think OBP is more important HR's.  

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The difficulty in executing the attempt to hit to the opposite field is primarily caused by hitters constantly trying to pull the ball. Pitches on the outside portion of the plate are actually easier to hit to the opposite field, but not if a hitter rolls his wrist over, which is part of the process of pulling the ball. It's more a matter of changing the mindset, than it is learning to physically do it. 

Ehh.  I, along with everyone involved in Major League Baseball and its entire history agrees with you-  it’s beautiful and awesome and smart.  

Its just super hard for a lot of professional hitters and way easier said than done. 

It’s not a new thought whatsoever.  Konerko threatened .400 when he finally figured it out and it was beautiful

Hitting the other way isn't super hard with the right mechanics but it isn't for everyone. It helps babip but it is also tougher to hit homers to center or oppo than to pull. Some guys need to be pull hitters to hit for power.

That is also one of the effects of the shift, it forces many hitters to make a decision between obp and slugging. Ideally you have true oppo power but for many hitters trying to go the other way would mean less power.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Hitting the other way isn't super hard with the right mechanics but it isn't for everyone. It helps babip but it is also tougher to hit homers to center or oppo than to pull. Some guys need to be pull hitters to hit for power.

That is also one of the effects of the shift, it forces many hitters to make a decision between obp and slugging. Ideally you have true oppo power but for many hitters trying to go the other way would mean less power.

I agree with you, however there are still plenty of pitches which are suitable to pull, even with this approach. Pitches on the inside part of the plate,  and any off speed pitches are still easily pulled. It's only the outside pitches and high velocity fast balls, for which I'm advocating that hitters employ this approach.

13 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

He looks amazing right now.  I don’t expect him to keep it up but even if he doesn’t he can still have a strong season hitting .275 with 25 homers.

He's completely locked in and is seeing the ball better than just about anyone.  He'll cool off and have some cold spells.  But, as long as he doesn't make any drastic changes to his approach (or isn't forced to do so), he could easily hit in the high .200s with 25+ HRs.

His RBI single, in the bottom of the 8TH yesterday, was off a low and away slider. He hit a line shot to right, which is the only way he could have hit that pitch. Tim continues to use that approach, when appropriate and if he can maintain his newly found discipline, I think that he has the potential to be a .300 hitter. That would be huge, for the rebuild.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/video/ryne-stanek-in-play-run-s-to-tim-anderson?t=t145-default-vtp

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

His RBI single, in the bottom of the 8TH yesterday, was off a low and away slider. He hit a line shot to right, which is the only way he could have hit that pitch. Tim continues to use that approach, when appropriate and if he can maintain his newly found discipline, I think that he has the potential to be a .300 hitter. That would be huge, for the rebuild.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/video/ryne-stanek-in-play-run-s-to-tim-anderson?t=t145-default-vtp

Anderson has the advantage of already having a long term contract. Today's  MLB pays for power, which is mostly being a pull hitter which is why the league is pull happy. He doesn't need to worry about that.

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Anderson has the advantage of already having a long term contract. Today's  MLB pays for power, which is mostly being a pull hitter which is why the league is pull happy. He doesn't need to worry about that.

That may very well be and if so, then maybe management needs to start rewarding guys who can hit for a better average, get on base, and no strike out. If all they are interested in is the long ball, I guess that you can't expect the players to not react accordingly. Moreover, the approach, for which I'm advocating, does not preclude hitting the long ball, when presented with the opportunity. Again, an inside pitch, a pitch right over the heart of the plate, or an off speed pitch would still afford a hitter his chances to pull the ball, for a homer. That pitch Tim hit yesterday was either going to be called a ball, or if he tried to pull it, he would have rolled over, on it and hit a ground ball to the left side. By going with the low and away pitch, and taking it to right, he got a base knock and drove in a run. It's just an intelligent piece of hitting and I applaud him. He's learning.

Edited by Lillian

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

I agree with the bulk of this analysis, but unless he can consistently hit .310-.320, a .350 OBP is probably a pipe dream

Whether, or not, he can achieve that level of performance is indeed the question. My point is that his current approach affords hime the greatest chance for success. Why use an inferior approach? It would only impede his chances to reach those goals.

Another way to look at it is to recognize that a good Major League pitcher, on a good day, is not going to give you much to hit, if you are looking exclusively for a ball that you can pull for a homer. However, even the best pitchers will offer up some pitches, that are just out of the zone. Using this approach affords the hitter a chance to still have a productive at bat. That was just such a pitch that Tim hit for an RBI single, yesterday. If you ask the pitcher if he thought that he missed his location, he would probably say "no, it was a good pitch". Tim beat him, because he didn't try to do too much with it.

Edited by Lillian