Carson Fulmer called up

Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is really a thing? This should be one of the most obvious things ever. I swear some people's only exercise is jumping to conclusions. 

Welcome to Soxtalk! You must be new here.

21 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

You waste a 1st round pick on the guy and jerk him around for years and the first instance of success and they send him right back down. Great way to motivate players.

SSS.  If he really is this good, he will go back to Charlotte and dominate.  In the meantime they need people who can pitch TODAY.  Fulmer is not that guy.  Ruiz is.

The lack of understanding with regards to fairly basic roster management is somewhat astounding.  

Not that the Sox deserve much credit or benefit of the doubt.  But this one is pretty simple to understand.  

Edited by ChiSox59

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

One outing does not change the grand scheme of things.

Ruiz may have a future in the bullpen. Until Fulmer has sustained success at any level, it's hard to predict that for him.

Let's just hope that Fulmer can salvage his career and turn into a plus reliever for the next few years. 

Also, it turns out that the Non-White Sox scouts were right on when they said that Fulmer's ceiling was a high leverage bullpen guy. The Sox thought they were smarter than everyone else in this regard and it bite them in the ass big time. The same thing is playing out with Zach Collins right now. No one outside the Sox organization believes the kid will stick at catcher. Let's just hope that Collins bat is good enough to play at first or DH. 

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I really liked Carson's demeanor yesterday. He looked really calm, cool and collected. I don't think getting sent back down will bother him, but I am excited to see if this can translate to sustained success. 

I think we've pretty much always felt that Carson has an excellent attitude and presence, both on the mound and in the clubhouse/interviews. I would expect he's content with how yesterday went and also understands what additional work he needs to do. 

Not advocating for the roster management here, but I'm sure they probably told Carson that he would only be up for a day and then he would be sent back down for Santana. He made the most of the short opportunity that he had. Probably will get him another look when the next pitcher injury happens.

8 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Look, I understand what the original plan was. They have 8 (!) relievers. To think you have to juggle 9-10 relievers to make it through games is what is actually astounding.

The other alternative was to have Cordell sit on the bench yesterday and not play, and then option him today instead of yesterday.  They got a freebie for a day and used it.  

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

Not advocating for the roster management here, but I'm sure they probably told Carson that he would only be up for a day and then he would be sent back down for Santana. He made the most of the short opportunity that he had. Probably will get him another look when the next pitcher injury happens.

And it should have been obvious that if he made a long appearance, he wasn't going to stick around. He HAD to know this.

51 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Look, I understand what the original plan was. They have 8 (!) relievers. To think you have to juggle 9-10 relievers to make it through games is what is actually astounding.

That is what happens when your starters get blown up repeatedly in sequence.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And it should have been obvious that if he made a long appearance, he wasn't going to stick around. He HAD to know this.

Yeah, and I just read an article on NBC Sports Chicago that Renteria said as much, that the plan was for him to be extra insurance for Monday. So I guess it's a positive for Carson that they just basically burned one of his options.

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Yeah, and I just read an article on NBC Sports Chicago that Renteria said as much, that the plan was for him to be extra insurance for Monday. So I guess it's a positive for Carson that they just basically burned one of his options.

His option was already burned.

3 minutes ago, Scoots said:

They did that when the sent him down in the spring.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His option was already burned.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

They did that when the sent him down in the spring.

I guess maybe I'm not understanding something...can you not burn more than one option in a season? I thought each time you were called up and then sent down to the minors you lose an option.

9 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I guess maybe I'm not understanding something...can you not burn more than one option in a season? I thought each time you were called up and then sent down to the minors you lose an option.

Option year was used when he was sent to Charlotte out of spring training.  He can be up and back as many times as necessary this season.

Edited by SouthWallace

10 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

You waste a 1st round pick on the guy and jerk him around for years and the first instance of success and they send him right back down. Great way to motivate players.

I remember when they pulled the same crap with Kip Wells.  Schueler was GM then.

Edited by Donaldo