April 8 - Rodon v. Snell 1:10 CT (mlbTV free game of day)

bmags

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

The point of losing 100 plus games this year is to get a higher first round pick. Theoretically, it should be harder to screw up a top 3 pick versus the number 8 pick. 

I'm fine with the players not being that good, thats fine. But having an attitude of lets lose 100 games or "so what if we lose 100 games" is appalling to me.

Just now, Chisox378 said:

I'm fine with the players not being that good, thats fine. But having an attitude of lets lose 100 games or "so what if we lose 100 games" is appalling to me.

You should log out and not log back in for a couple of season then.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Must be nice having pitchers that can throw a 96 mph fastball down the pipe when they need it.

I remember when Rodon used to hit upper 90's, even some times 99-100mph. His numbers weren't bad last year so there was little talk about the disappearing velocity and K rate.

5 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I remember when Rodon used to hit upper 90's, even some times 99-100mph. His numbers weren't bad last year so there was little talk about the disappearing velocity and K rate.

The velocity was still there late in games. Nobody saw him throwing 89-91 this year coming. We all thought he'd get it back this season consistently because he was still pumping 96-98 mph late in games last season.  

He was 91-93 early in games last year and got stronger as the game went on. Rodon's velocity is much worse overall this season than it was in 2018. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I still don't get how a left handed pitcher with a cheat code pitch as good as rodon is so freaking inconsistent.

because at the MLB level the hitters are too good to be a one pitch starter, no matter how good that pitch is.  You probably know that but just in case :-)

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

haha, maybe so, maybe never come back.

That's the flipside to tanking. People lose interest when a team is terrible for years on end. There is no guarantee that this rebuild works and the fanbase will continue to dwindle and attendance will mirror Tampa Bay... 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He didn't have a good outing, obviously, but 8 ks in 4 innings while sucking is still impressive. So his arm being shot really doesn't add up.

the walks and fastball command will continue to limit him no matter how many Ks he gets on his slider.  Especially with teams that can pack righties up and down the lineup/

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The velocity was still there late in games. Nobody saw him throwing 89-91 this year coming. We all thought he'd get it back this season consistently because he was still pumping 96-98 mph late in games last season.  

He was 91-93 early in games last year and got stronger as the game went on. 

He was not hitting 96-98MPH last season. It was rare to see him hit anything 94 or above just like this season. At least the K's are back this season though.

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

That's the flipside to tanking. People lose interest when a team is terrible for years on end. There is no guarantee that this rebuild works and the fanbase will continue to dwindle and attendance will mirror Tampa Bay... 

Once again, I dont mind them being terrible as long as they are truly trying to win games and play solid baseball. When this year started and still to today, I really believe Ricky can bring this team to the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He didn't have a good outing, obviously, but 8 ks in 4 innings while sucking is still impressive. So his arm being shot really doesn't add up.

He still has the 80 grade slider and a 65 slurve so he can get away with throwing 90-92 mph. He needs to learn how to command his fastball and changeup if he's ever going to be better than a #4 with this stuff. His breaking balls are nasty. 

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I don't want a top three pick if it means Rodon, Lopez, Gio and other young guys suck. I'd rather have pick 14 and they look good. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

He was not hitting 96-98MPH last season. It was rare to see him hit anything 94 or above just like this season. At least the K's are back this season though.

Yes he was, but only late in games. Did you watch? His last inning he was 95-98 pretty consistently around pitch 80-100 during his good stretch. 

around inning 3-4 he was 93-95 and innings 5-7 he was topping out at 96-98.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Chisox378 said:

Once again, I dont mind them being terrible as long as they are truly trying to win games and play solid baseball. When this year started and still to today, I really believe Ricky can bring this team to the playoffs. 

I understand where you are coming from, but the playoffs ain't happening this year. The Sox got no pitching. Can't win games without good pitching. 

I'm just focusing on guys like Anderson, Moncada, and Jimenez. They are the only guys in the starting lineup who should be on the team two years from now.